Jul 08, 2012, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
Help!

sig yak 18p 72"

Hello, My disabled father has a old sig yak 18p 72" plane, we got everything back in working order but on the maiden flight the right aiel was not responding well and the wing hit the runway. after discussion we figured out that the wing was warped slightly ( i noticed it before but thought a easy flight would be ok, guess not) heres my problem, I could rebuild the wing using a jig but I wanted to post a topic to see if anyonew had a wing or knew of a sight or something to buy a replacement wing.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
I was gonna say Sig never made a Yak until I googled. I was wrong.
First you say the right ail. didn't respond well. Hmmm At any rate,it looks like if you can find a kit,they aren't cheap. Finding a used wing will be like finding a needle in a haystack.
I would call Sig and see if they might have a wing kit,or plans. At the worst,you might get laughed at. At best they might have an old wing kit.

You claim it's only warped slightly. It would probably be easier to try to straighten it. It might also better to get the aileron to "respond well". It's hard to say. You didn't give much info.
Calling Sig won't take a whole lot of effort
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
Jul 09, 2012, 05:40 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Have you put an incidence meter on the wing see by how much its warped?

The Sig Yak has been out of production for a very long time, so you'll have probably have little no support from Sig. If you have the plans, there could be enough information on them to scratch build a new wing if you want to go that route. A lot of the Sig plans were always noted as having a lot of detail - enough so that some of the planes could be scratch built short of the formed plastic parts.

What is the covering? Silk, iron-on plastic, or ???

The more info you can provide the better we'll be able to help you. Some wings can be straightened out depending on how they were built and covered, and others you'll have to live the warp and work around it.

Hogflyer

Quick Reply