This thread is privately moderated by Mokulele808, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 08, 2012, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Zagi-5C Build

After losing one that was given to me, I ordered a Zagi kit to build on my own.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2012, 10:56 PM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

To eliminate confusion, I labeled the wing beds, then taped them together. I sanded the wings while in the wing beds. Since this was my first Zagi build, I asked how much sanding was required. This was Jerry's reply "Light sanding is good inboard and medium sanding toward the tips. Just enough to take about half of the shine off of the foam."
Jul 09, 2012, 11:08 PM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

Name: IMG_0045.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 254.0 KB
Description: Before gluing, be sure to align the bottom of the wings to allow the carbon fiber rod to fit in its channel. Before gluing the two wing halves, be sure that the CF channel on the bottom of the wing is properly aligned. The CF strip measures 1x4mm. The center strip is cut shorter than the other four.
Last edited by Mokulele808; Jul 11, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Additional information
Jul 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

The manual says to use Scotch M77 to glue the two wing halves together. The official recommendation is "The #77 is better to join the wings. The 77 glue moves with the foam. Gorilla is good for the spars."
Jul 09, 2012, 11:30 PM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

After the #77 glue dries, place the wing halves in the bottom beds. Instead of using #77, I used Gorilla Glue to install the CF strips. It takes longer to cure (about three hours). The instructions use M77 glue.
Jul 10, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

Be sure to place several weights along the wing to ensure proper alignment while the CF strips adhesive is curing. If using Gorilla Glue, allow the glue to sufficiently dry before sanding. Be sure to sand carefully to prevent changing the shape of the airfoil.
Jul 12, 2012, 12:40 AM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

Okay, the gluing is done and I let the Gorilla Glue dry overnight. If you're in a hurry, the M77 glue will set the CF strips faster. The Gorilla glue seems to add some stiffness behind the leading edge.
Jul 12, 2012, 01:59 AM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

It's now time to trial fit the servos. The wing has a pre-cut "cookie" that will accommodate Hitec HS-311 servos. A small amount of material needs to be allow movement of the servo arms. After trimming off the excess material from the bottom of the cookie, poke it out about a quarter inch, put adhesive on the exposed portions, and push it back into the cutout and allow it to cure. I used goop for this purpose.
Jul 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

Okay, getting to the point where I need to use filament tape. I have a few options for the covering material: colored packing tape, ultracoat, and today I was able to score a roll of left over vehicle covering material. The material is yellow and was used to cover a pineapple company vehicle. Might be heavier so I'll weigh the material and compare it with ultracoat. The vehicle covering has the ability to breathe so there won't be bubbles. I think the design is pretty cool though.
Jul 13, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

Using a postal scale. I cut a 1 square foot piece of Orajet material and 1 square foot of Monokote. The Orajet (vehicle wrap) without backing material was .8 oz. and the Monokote was .2 oz. per square foot. I was thinking of using Ultracoat originally. The Orajet is probably a lot more durable.
Jul 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

Building a Zagi is relatively easy, so don't be intimidated. An illustrated manual is provided, which you can download from the link below.

http://www.zagi.com/pdf/z5c.pdf

As long as you follow the instructions, you won't have any problems.
Jul 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
Looking good!!
Jul 17, 2012, 04:27 AM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

The wing with servos weighs in at 10 ounces and the recommended weight is 17 ounces. I will try to hit that weight after adding the elevons, receiver, battery, and control rods. Since the Orajet is heavier, I may cover one side with that and the other with Ultracoat, or a combination of both. I have some 2/3A batteries that might save some weight.
Jul 25, 2012, 02:23 AM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

Okay, after a lot of thought and input, I decided to go with orange Ultracote on top and vehicle wrap on the bottom. There's some overlap on the bottom and the vehicle wrap will cover that portion. The leading edge will have a piece of dark packing tape once the bottom covering is done.
Last edited by Mokulele808; Jul 27, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Jul 25, 2012, 02:27 AM
Thread OP

Zagi Build

After laying down the two pieces of Ultracote for the top of the wing, I used a Monokote iron and smoothed the finish. Will have to cut the covering to expose the servo cutouts. I'm going with 2/3AA nimh batteries to save some weight to compensate for the heavier Orajet vehicle wrap that's going on the bottom of the wing.
Last edited by Mokulele808; Jul 27, 2012 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply