Jan 28, 2014, 07:30 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
What esc's are you using?
I have here the Plush 10A and I was planning to flash them as well.
I damaged the motor in one so I have to swap it, meaning it would be easy to test with a RCX.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2014, 08:10 PM
I'm using the HK 10 amp escs made for plane use.
You shouldn't have any problems with the plush 10 amps as I have a set on a mini quad with the RCX motors and they work well.

Randy
Jan 29, 2014, 01:44 AM
From what I have read, in addition to having poor winding quality, these motors are demanding to drive because of long demag time. On pancake motors like the DT750 and RCT 4215 630kV, setting high timing can make them run pretty well on 4S, setting demag comp low makes them run on 5S and demag comp high all the way up to 6S.
When setting demag comp to low or high, it has very little effect to change timing in addition.

Enough on demag. I'm not sure that is your problem. From what I understand you have problems with only one leg of the hex?
Have you tried running one motor and one ESC directly from the receiver? Swapping motor/ESC to see which component the failure follows? You may have a defective component.

Once I get it, I will surely look at the ZMR 1804 motor. But I will not have it in a week or two I guess.

Steffen
Jan 29, 2014, 06:59 AM
After more testing I find it moves around to all motors at random when throttling fast while holding in hand, I only saw it drop left or right in flight but in hand it will drop back end too.

I wonder if the new firmware would make any difference?

I would hate to have to tear this thing all apart again to replace all the escs with plush 10 amps.

I like these motors because they are more affordable and they work well on my 2 quads.
My frames were also designed to fit these motors and it is not just a motor hole change that would be needed to fit sunnys but a redesign as a 27mm motor will not fit on the arms.

I guess this morning I'll try the throttle change rate and see if that helps as last night I raised the timing to high and that made it worse.

Randy
Jan 29, 2014, 02:40 PM
Alright guys I think I found the magic pill after days of changing settings on all 6 of the escs, 3 crashes and a massive headache.

If you want to use the HK 10 amp escs with RCX 1804 motors TURN OFF the demag compensation and leave everything else default.

Too cold to go out and test fly it but works great in my hand with no sink issues finally!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Randy
Jan 29, 2014, 04:09 PM
:)
That's great you found the prob mate! Is that on the latest BLHeli 11.1?

I don't think I had to do that on mine running 10.2???

After seeing the specific tuning the DT750's required, I do try to run up a motor / prop combo on the bench before install now, just to check performance. I think I turned off demag comp and raised timing to high for the DT750's.
Jan 29, 2014, 04:18 PM
I am on Rev. 11 as I didn't want to try the new version until others have first.

I didn't try upping the timing with the demag off, but if I see anything lacking in flight I may try mid high timing and see.

Randy
Jan 29, 2014, 05:02 PM
:)
Thanks for the info mate.

It just made the DT750's accelerate better. Might not affect the 1804's. Trade off is runtime
Jan 29, 2014, 09:49 PM
Need a little help guys. I'm using the Turnigy Plush 30A 11.1 version on the DJI 920 motors. I'm also using the Naza v1 controller flashed with 2.2 (I think) firmware.

The problem I'm having is that it seems to be only responsive around the center. If I go a little slightly higher at just UNDER 3/4 stick AND HOLD IT THERE, the motor starts to creep up to max throttle. So the stick doesn't make a difference above 3/4 stick.

Is this normal? Is should I make some changes in the Naza assist software to compensate for that? Granted, this is only a bench test with no props.

Thanks in advance!
Jan 30, 2014, 05:06 AM
@sskaug

Just what i was looking for!

Excellent work sskaug!

I have a couple of questions after reading most pages on the thread:
(I have turnigy plush 25A and DT750's on 3s)

-If an ESC is not able to handle full damping, its better to not use any damping at all?

-If the PWM is not in damped, the damping force will have no effect at all?

-The timming should always be the lowest posible?

My actual setup is:
PWM: High
Demag: off
Damping force: highest
Timming: Medium.

I was thinking about timming: low and PWM: damped light, but for why i have read here, i could have some problems because the ESC do not support full damping.

Such a great work!! Pure engineering!

BTW, great tutorial on how to flash the esc!
Jan 30, 2014, 12:19 PM
If an esc is not able to run fully damped, then the bemf reading winding will have to be used for damping, which can prevent proper position info and cause uneven running. It is the same for a fully damped capable esc running fully damped mode. But it can work, this is how most micro heli tails operate.

Yes - if pwm is not set to a damped mode, damping force will not have any effect.

High timing can give a bit more max power, but often runs a bit less efficient.
And high timing can help reduce demag problems (when demag comp is off).
Jan 30, 2014, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug
If an esc is not able to run fully damped, then the bemf reading winding will have to be used for damping, which can prevent proper position info and cause uneven running. It is the same for a fully damped capable esc running fully damped mode. But it can work, this is how most micro heli tails operate.

Yes - if pwm is not set to a damped mode, damping force will not have any effect.

High timing can give a bit more max power, but often runs a bit less efficient.
And high timing can help reduce demag problems (when demag comp is off).
Thank you for the answer!

There is any advantage on having a low timming? If you dont have any demag problems.

Thx in advance!
Jan 30, 2014, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balbs
Need a little help guys. I'm using the Turnigy Plush 30A 11.1 version on the DJI 920 motors. I'm also using the Naza v1 controller flashed with 2.2 (I think) firmware.

The problem I'm having is that it seems to be only responsive around the center. If I go a little slightly higher at just UNDER 3/4 stick AND HOLD IT THERE, the motor starts to creep up to max throttle. So the stick doesn't make a difference above 3/4 stick.

Is this normal? Is should I make some changes in the Naza assist software to compensate for that? Granted, this is only a bench test with no props.

Thanks in advance!
Are your ESC throttle calibrated?
Jan 30, 2014, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazarjar
Are your ESC throttle calibrated?
I guess they're not especially after flashing them. How do I do that? Got a link?

Thanks for the response!
Jan 30, 2014, 01:15 PM
Doh...found videos on calibrating. Thanks!

Quick Reply