New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:44 AM
Stigern is offline
Find More Posts by Stigern
Registered Addict
Stigern's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
have you swapped motors and/or escs around to better locate the issue?
I have not completely swapped. I only changed ESC and Motor on the motor I think it was. (on the quad)

Will do more testing today. But shouldn't the testbench motor run smoothly?

I don't see the point changing so much on the quad if I can't get a single motor to run smoothly :P Will try to change the ESC on the testbench motor today. And try without the wires connected. If it runs smoothly, I will move onto the quad.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Stigern; Jan 14, 2013 at 01:56 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
brontide is offline
Find More Posts by brontide
Stop me before I build again!
I have Turnigy 3020's and when they start to fail they will spin up just fine but then give out in flight, teardown reveals broken motor lead. If just one is cutting out I would suspect a failing motor or loose bullet on that motor.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:54 AM
Stigern is offline
Find More Posts by Stigern
Registered Addict
Stigern's Avatar
Brand new bullet connectors, brand new motors. Tested two of em.

Today I did cross-test with another ESC flashed with BLheli, same twitching. Did also test without the cables attatched to the Arduino board, same twitching.

I'm going to borrow another brushless motor from a friend to check if it is incompability issues with the motors I have and BLheli firmware.

Btw, when running MAIN the motor didnt twitch...

EDIT:

Just tested with yet another motor, still getting twitches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwL-6ttbDAo

I also tried another transmitter and reciver, still getting twitches. Then I tried flashing with all older versions of MULTI, 6,7,8,9 etc. Still twitches.

Anyone know if its possible to flash it back to orginal skywalker fw?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Stigern; Jan 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:28 PM
sskaug is online now
Find More Posts by sskaug
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
Brand new bullet connectors, brand new motors. Tested two of em.

Today I did cross-test with another ESC flashed with BLheli, same twitching. Did also test without the cables attatched to the Arduino board, same twitching.

I'm going to borrow another brushless motor from a friend to check if it is incompability issues with the motors I have and BLheli firmware.

Btw, when running MAIN the motor didnt twitch...

EDIT:

Just tested with yet another motor, still getting twitches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwL-6ttbDAo

I also tried another transmitter and reciver, still getting twitches. Then I tried flashing with all older versions of MULTI, 6,7,8,9 etc. Still twitches.

Anyone know if its possible to flash it back to orginal skywalker fw?
Now I have dug into this issue, and have reproduced it with a SW20A on a Tgy D2826/6 2200kV motor running on 3S with no prop. I can reproduce it at high rpm, it starts to happen around 140000 electrical rpm.

The trace below shows an incident
Name: Skywalker 20A twitches.jpg
Views: 170
Size: 253.2 KB
Description:

I am not yet quite sure what causes it, but at the moment the prime suspect is interrupt activity being too high, causing insufficient time for processing and a loss of sync.

The default high pwm frequency (20-25kHz) is good for smooth throttle response and low noise, but puts tough requirements on MCU timing.

If you set pwm frequency to low, the problem should go away, at least it does in my setup.

Thanks,
Steffen
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:05 PM
Stigern is offline
Find More Posts by Stigern
Registered Addict
Stigern's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
Now I have dug into this issue, and have reproduced it with a SW20A on a Tgy D2826/6 2200kV motor running on 3S with no prop. I can reproduce it at high rpm, it starts to happen around 140000 electrical rpm.

The trace below shows an incident
Attachment 5448127

I am not yet quite sure what causes it, but at the moment the prime suspect is interrupt activity being too high, causing insufficient time for processing and a loss of sync.

The default high pwm frequency (20-25kHz) is good for smooth throttle response and low noise, but puts tough requirements on MCU timing.

If you set pwm frequency to low, the problem should go away, at least it does in my setup.

Thanks,
Steffen
Thanks for investigating

I'm gonna do more tests tomorrow, and see if I can get rid of the problem with LOW settings.

Is it not possible to downgrade to orginal firmware? :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:40 PM
sskaug is online now
Find More Posts by sskaug
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
Thanks for investigating

I'm gonna do more tests tomorrow, and see if I can get rid of the problem with LOW settings.

Is it not possible to downgrade to orginal firmware? :P
In general all ESCs have read protection on the flash memory, meaning that you can not read the original FW. So, unless someone have found an unprotected chip or otherwise hacked, the original FW is not disclosed. I know of no source for original FW for any of the SiLabs ESCs.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:01 PM
Stigern is offline
Find More Posts by Stigern
Registered Addict
Stigern's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
In general all ESCs have read protection on the flash memory, meaning that you can not read the original FW. So, unless someone have found an unprotected chip or otherwise hacked, the original FW is not disclosed. I know of no source for original FW for any of the SiLabs ESCs.
Ah, that explains. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:10 PM
Soma is offline
Find More Posts by Soma
:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
Now I have dug into this issue, and have reproduced it with a SW20A on a Tgy D2826/6 2200kV motor running on 3S with no prop. I can reproduce it at high rpm, it starts to happen around 140000 electrical rpm.

The trace below shows an incident
Attachment 5448127

I am not yet quite sure what causes it, but at the moment the prime suspect is interrupt activity being too high, causing insufficient time for processing and a loss of sync.

The default high pwm frequency (20-25kHz) is good for smooth throttle response and low noise, but puts tough requirements on MCU timing.

If you set pwm frequency to low, the problem should go away, at least it does in my setup.

Thanks,
Steffen
Thanks for taking time to look into this Steffen!

Have you still got more research to do or is that the best solution to the issue?

Cheers mate!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:25 PM
stemeh is offline
Find More Posts by stemeh
Registered User

This is my problem to


Hello this is exactly my problem. If I put it to the PWM less delayed but the reaction is stronger. Was then played with other parameters is probably less but it never went away completely.

Stefan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:53 AM
sskaug is online now
Find More Posts by sskaug
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Thanks for taking time to look into this Steffen!

Have you still got more research to do or is that the best solution to the issue?

Cheers mate!
I'm spending a lot of time these days to fully understand what is happening and to come up with code improvements to run at higher rpm
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:34 AM
Soma is offline
Find More Posts by Soma
:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
I'm spending a lot of time these days to fully understand what is happening and to come up with code improvements to run at higher rpm
Well I for one, and there are many others, certainly appreciate all the effort you put in here mate!

Higher RPMs are good

Let us know if you have an epiphany regarding the misbehaving Skywalkers.
Need some Yoda firmware to sort them out
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:44 AM
urbankuest is offline
Find More Posts by urbankuest
Registered User
Hi guys,

I have flashed 4 Turnigy Plush 10A with BlHeli but i'm having some issues.

The flash was ok, and i can read and write parameters, all good here.

The Problem is to arm and get the ESC working. if i use a servo tester it works ok, but using my Aurora 9 with an Optima 7 Receiver it does not work i have to turn off tx and turn on back again only then motor starts to spin, and when i have all connected to a multiwii fc, i when it detects throttle it starts to do a low and high tone and if i move throttle a bit more than middle stick then motors start to spin. I'm lost here, can someone help me figure out what's happening.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:17 AM
Stigern is offline
Find More Posts by Stigern
Registered Addict
Stigern's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
I'm spending a lot of time these days to fully understand what is happening and to come up with code improvements to run at higher rpm
Thanks. I really appreciate all the effort you have put into this
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:39 PM
sskaug is online now
Find More Posts by sskaug
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Well I for one, and there are many others, certainly appreciate all the effort you put in here mate!

Higher RPMs are good

Let us know if you have an epiphany regarding the misbehaving Skywalkers.
Need some Yoda firmware to sort them out
Eureka!
Just got some very promising results. I have reduced the execution time of the comparator reading routine and also increased the commutation time reduction parameter.

My poor motor and ESC now run on 4S, and go to 200k eRPM smoothly, and with only very small disturbances above.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
4712 is offline
Find More Posts by 4712
Registered User
Great!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found forget the plush, i need 5x 30 amp esc that i can flash, no plush !!! crash8384 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 14 Jun 25, 2012 04:10 AM
Discussion is it possible to flash the Flycam Blackboard w/ 4.7kk X betito Multirotor Talk 2 May 03, 2012 03:12 PM
Discussion Silabs 8051 ESC (Turnigy Subperbrain) Firmware nickax Multirotor Talk 2 Jan 30, 2012 12:11 AM
Sold 2 Turnigy Plush 10 amp ESCs + 1 Turnigy 5A UBEC + 1 Turnigy Programming Card - $21 shawn595 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 2 Apr 02, 2011 01:30 PM
Discussion Is it possible to convert TURNIGY Plush 30A ESC's from PWM to TWI/I2C control benbois DIY Electronics 0 Dec 17, 2008 12:56 PM