Dec 09, 2013, 02:27 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
I agree with Andy, the 20-inch span sounds about right for that motor. Looking at the motor stats... The 5.5A @ 7.2V (2cell LiPo) makes for 37-ish Watts at max power. My 100% slowly uses this combination and generates about 80 W with a 9x5 prop. it flies level at about 45% throttle.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2013, 03:31 PM
Many thanks for the replies. So 20" is around 60% for about 500mm wingspan? I 'll take the plans to local printer to see if they can do scaling.

Cheers, Troy.
Dec 13, 2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
Many thanks for the replies. So 20" is around 60% for about 500mm wingspan? I 'll take the plans to local printer to see if they can do scaling.

Cheers, Troy.
Troy a fellow builder on rcg(freddie B) told me to download a free adobe reader x for my computer and with it i can make plane plans bigger or smaller plus tile them to print out at home without going out in the cold winter . lol joe
Dec 14, 2013, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
Troy a fellow builder on rcg(freddie B) told me to download a free adobe reader x for my computer and with it i can make plane plans bigger or smaller plus tile them to print out at home without going out in the cold winter . lol joe
Been there done that thanks Joe. Many a night cutting the borders off and taping lots and lots of A4 sheets together - great therapy. This time I got the plans printed at an office supply shop just near my work - $2.05. Scaled at 60% the Slowly fits on an A1 sheet

Cold!!! I wish - 30 degrees and afternoon thunderstorms for us. We're heading off to the beach in a few days time for some respite before the Chirstmas hoards descend
Dec 30, 2013, 12:31 AM
Slowly (boom-tish) been getting the 60% going. Just have the floor, undercarriage and rear of the cowl to fit.

Have decided to make the wing permanently fixed to add some strength and reduce weight/complexity. It's small enough not to be a problem. Same with the cowl - it ended up being too small to be useful for stowing anything - motor aside.

With a 2S 350mAh battery it weighs just under 100g. With a 2S 610mAh 110g (both weights less the carbon axle, rear of the cowl and fuselage floor).

I was thinking of running the axle (1mm carbon rod) inside the fuselage and nestling it in corner of the cockpit former and fuselage floor - set in place with a bead of PU. What is everyone else doing?
Jan 01, 2014, 04:10 AM
Finished it off yesterday - couldn't fly it today as the receiver rudder channel started to go intermittent.

I have another couple on order - should be here in a few days/weeks/months (Hobbyking, so who knows?)

Final ready to fly weight with the 350mAh 2S is 104g (3.7 US Oz).
Jan 01, 2014, 05:10 AM
All can fly...Launch stronger!
How cute it is!
Jan 01, 2014, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttersu
How cute it is!
I know. My wife usually has only a passing interest in my planes (she's more concerned about the size of my fleet - quite modest, I promise), but she adores this one. I think its the wide, squat stance of the undercarriage and mudguards.

What wasn't apparent to me from the photos of others' builds and even the plans was the length of the nose. Mine is slightly nose-heavy without the battery fitted (mounts on the roof of the cabin - slightly aft of the CG).
Jan 01, 2014, 12:13 PM
ExPat
Hey Casey

You've built a beauty there, I hope you get the chance to take a video of her flying. I wish you well with the maiden, and I'm looking forward to an update.
Cheers
Andy
Jan 01, 2014, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Nice build Casey.. I like your idea of the axle through the fuse.. Really nice colour scheme. What size prop are you using? It looks very big for the size of the motor, but may just be the photo angle.

Will be waiting for a video of the maiden..

Gary
Jan 02, 2014, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley
Nice build Casey.. I like your idea of the axle through the fuse.. Really nice colour scheme. What size prop are you using? It looks very big for the size of the motor, but may just be the photo angle.

Will be waiting for a video of the maiden..

Gary
It's a 7x3.5. Recommended prop for the motor is a 7x5. I have one of them too if the 7x3.5 isn't fast enough

3.7A @ 7.7v for 28.6W. You know you don't have many watts when you have to include the decimal point

My wife suggested I used red tape where I have the black on the wing. She said it would look like a rainbow. Not that there is anything wrong with that.....
Last edited by CaseySP; Jan 02, 2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Power meter readings added/
Jan 02, 2014, 01:53 AM
Very cute and beautifull
Jan 05, 2014, 06:54 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
CG sounds OK.
I have my battery attached with hook-and-loop to the inside cabin wall opposite the receiver. I've also added a foam pilot's bench (with seatbelt) inside, just under the desired GC, as, when I'm flying at the park, some of my little spectators enjoy me giving rides to their action figures/barbie dolls.
Jan 05, 2014, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
I am using that motor with a 7x3.5 on my 17" nutball. it runs cool, long and with plenty of power and speed..
Jan 06, 2014, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley
I am using that motor with a 7x3.5 on my 17" nutball. it runs cool, long and with plenty of power and speed..
What size battery do you run? What duration do you get? I'm planning to use a 2S 350mAh, but could up it to a 610mAh for a 10-15g penalty.

Still waiting for my HK order with my new receivers. Apparently the order has shipped, but knowing HK that could mean anything

Quick Reply