Nov 11, 2019, 07:42 PM

Slowly has a new pair of shoes

My Chinese eBay wheels finally showed up.
Made the main axle from a graphite practice arrow. Machined a couple of hubs from scrap aluminium round stock.
Had to move my battery rearward to keep my CG correct.
Went to the flying field Sunday and had 2 successful flights (no crashes but a couple of OH! s*** moments)
Thanks "Bird of Play" for the aileron to rudder mix suggestion (saved my butt, I mean plane).
Flew it again today and still in one piece. This landing gear is heavier but takes bad landings without breaking.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2019, 07:54 PM
Jim,
I built the plane and the balanced it with the battery to get the CG correct.
I actually have 3 different marks inside the fuselage for the 3 different batteries that I fly.
As for the weight, I don't really know it, but it is much heavier than the original design.
I used the $14.00 eBay package (2212/2200kv, 30 amp esc, motor mount & props).
I am using 8045 prop. and 2s and 3s 1300 lipo batteries.
As for the glue, I used Gorilla clear(dries white) ureathane glue.
I think it makes a stronger joint than CA.
Nov 11, 2019, 08:36 PM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise
Jim,
I built the plane and the balanced it with the battery to get the CG correct.
I actually have 3 different marks inside the fuselage for the 3 different batteries that I fly.
As for the weight, I don't really know it, but it is much heavier than the original design.
I used the $14.00 eBay package (2212/2200kv, 30 amp esc, motor mount & props).
I am using 8045 prop. and 2s and 3s 1300 lipo batteries.
As for the glue, I used Gorilla clear(dries white) ureathane glue.
I think it makes a stronger joint than CA.
Thanks for the info clockwise. Wheels look sharp!

I've made little progress considering I'm caught up in the age of instant gratification with my choice of glue lol. I may regret using CA!
Dec 16, 2019, 01:47 PM

my slowly with float

slowly with float (3 min 10 sec)
Dec 16, 2019, 03:20 PM
Retired CAD guy
What you need is this ...

Oops looks like you'll have to take off Knife edge
Dec 16, 2019, 04:06 PM
Flies nicely, I have to hand launch as I don't have a nice surface to ground launch from.
As for the water I think you need a bigger puddle and a boat to go fetch.
Dec 18, 2019, 09:06 PM
Here is a 14” slowly I have been working on. 1103 10000kv motor, race star controller, 3”avian prop, hk1.7g servos, 1s 280 mah battery, frsky rx. The fuse is mostly 1mm epp, formers are skinned dollar tree foam, wings and tail are 1mm Depron.
Dec 19, 2019, 08:00 AM
Looks pretty nice and pretty small!
Dec 19, 2019, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
What you need is this ...

Oops looks like you'll have to take off Knife edge
yes Birdofplay
i think also but no snow at this time
Yves
Dec 19, 2019, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBOLOGIST
Flies nicely, I have to hand launch as I don't have a nice surface to ground launch from.
As for the water I think you need a bigger puddle and a boat to go fetch.
yes Timbologist
i think also but i have no boat
Yves
Dec 20, 2019, 09:51 AM
After several unruly flights, I added more down and to the right thrust angle (equal to one small washer between the motor and the mount.)
The flight characteristics are much better now.
I am getting better with the landings, not much gliding as my Slowly is way overweight.
The improved landing gear is holding up well.
This is the only plane that I fly that doesn’t have stabilization.
Enjoyable to fly something that I scratch built.
Dec 22, 2019, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
About wheels: I went to slicing (on band saw) a pool noodle, about 3/4 inch thick for the tire, then a 3/4" dowel glued in as a hub... Later I 3-D Printed hubs, much lighter. I use a 3mm carbon fiber rod as an axle. It softens the touch when making a less than perfect landing.
Dec 22, 2019, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
And then about having a boat... a 8x14 or there bouts piece of dense foam insulation, a motor with a reversing ESC and a bit of glue makes a quick rescue boat... It helps to have it pull a fish line out and circle the disables plane. Then reel it all in... Check our this video... at 1:32 Thor, the Norwegian god of mithology, now in the form of a boat, comes to the rescue .
2016 09 23 Mid Air Collision (3 min 42 sec)
Jan 31, 2020, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the Slowly parts ID and translation

Thank you for this! I'm working on a 50% Slowly right now and I just realised the photos have the part names on them. There were a few I wasn't sure of so I think I'll get it together tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg
Here are some images with indications as to where the parts should go.

- Jurgen - if I made any mistake, please forgive me and correct where needed. This was based on what I saw on rcline forums and my own trial and error.

Do note, that some bits were added by me during my build and are not on the plans. Everything on the original plans are shown on these images apart from the Stabs and wing...you would know which those are right?

Side Notes:
The part "Schablone / V-Form oben anlegen" is a template to use for checking the angle of the dihedral wing ends when gluing them to the main wing section. Use depron or something stiff for that. I like using depron and covering it in packing tape. That way it won't get itself stuck when gluing such joints.

After building up the Motor Hood with the 2 semi circles, motor hood top piece which is curved over the semi circles and a base piece, you would need to cut out your motor shape so that the whole assembly fits over and sits nicely. Glue or use magnets. Do note...if your glueing, mount your motor and wires through into the fuse first. Cost it's gonna be hard to get in once the hood is on!

Lastly,..I built my 24" EPP version with some minor changes with several pieces not used. So if its not indicated or you don't see such a piece...it aint there! LOL

Hope the pics and labels help. Sorry of they are not that fantastic but hope they at least serve some indication and guide if one wishes to build it. And nope,...I don't speak German...just doing my best at being one for a few minutes...
Feb 04, 2020, 04:52 AM

Pool noodles for wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley
About wheels: I went to slicing (on band saw) a pool noodle, about 3/4 inch thick for the tire, then a 3/4" dowel glued in as a hub... Later I 3-D Printed hubs, much lighter. I use a 3mm carbon fiber rod as an axle. It softens the touch when making a less than perfect landing.
Thanks for this idea! My new Slowly has pool noodle wheels, and I have enough left over for about 20 more planes.

Quick Reply