Jul 20, 2012, 12:42 PM

How much Dihedral

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Yesterday I made another SUPER EASY with more dihedral and it is even MORE stable than the first ones
You're getting lots more detail in the build. i'd like to know the amount of dihedral you're using. Is it 2 inches up for the 20 inch wing on each side, or is it up to 3 inches a side?

I've got a True RC CD-ROM motor in the basement thats calling me to make this.

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson
I love the simplicity of this design! This is the plane I'm going to build with my nephews. I was going to build BluBabys for them, but this design is well within their capabilities. I might go 50% scale.

Balsa or carbon... any thrust angle required for the motor, or is it level and aligned with the center axis?

Oh, electricrc68... see post #8. The second photo shows a stick mount. (Edit: I re-read your post. I think you noticed the stick, but was really asking how to use it. What you need is a stick mount fitting; it would have a square part that the stick goes into, and a circular part that the shaft collar goes into. Alternatively, I think you could probably do a firewall-style mount without the stick. Get a thin piece of plywood, mount the motor to that with screws using whatever mount came with the motor, then cut notches in the foam so you can glue the firewall in the correct position.)
When mounting a motor on a prop- in- slot plane , do so with the prop ON THE MOTOR and use eyeballing THE PROP ( NOT the motor , motor mount or stick ) for alignment so the prop ends up straight and centered in the slot . There will be no right or left thrust ( you can compensate for motor torque with rudder trim ) and since the motor is mounted slightly above the wing , that will give it a little down thrust .
Jul 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
Always Indecisive
Okay cool thanks balsa or carbon. Im asking questions endlessly, and heres another! You are using a 7" prop? Would that 7" prop happen to be a 7x6 slow fly prop from GWS? If so, is it a good prop for this plane? Also, you said the control surfaces are 2" x 6"....is that 2" wide (deep) and 6" long?

oh and also, if i cant find the fiberglass (?) reinforced tape, will this work just fine?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213691-98-14...RL=&facetInfo=
Last edited by electricrc68; Jul 20, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Jul 20, 2012, 03:30 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
I may try one of these today out of DT foam. Been real windy here lately. Just one question... Where is the cg? Should I just use mac/6?

Thanks
Nightstone
Jul 20, 2012, 05:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe
You're getting lots more detail in the build. i'd like to know the amount of dihedral you're using. Is it 2 inches up for the 20 inch wing on each side, or is it up to 3 inches a side?

I've got a True RC CD-ROM motor in the basement thats calling me to make this.

Joe
Here is a picture of the new one with more dihedral , each wing tip is 7" higher than the wing root . More dihedral = more self-righting , but too much dihedral and the wings start losing lift .
Jul 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone
I may try one of these today out of DT foam. Been real windy here lately. Just one question... Where is the cg? Should I just use mac/6?

Thanks
Nightstone
CG is about 14" from tip of nose straight back down center line . I usually find CG on an airframe before installing electronics by securing control surfaces ( slight up elevator on a delta ) , putting a battery up front and then glide testing it over tall grass .
it actually flies pretty good in a little wind -
SUPER easy foam board RC paper airplane (1 min 46 sec)
Jul 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68
Okay cool thanks balsa or carbon. Im asking questions endlessly, and heres another! You are using a 7" prop? Would that 7" prop happen to be a 7x6 slow fly prop from GWS? If so, is it a good prop for this plane? Also, you said the control surfaces are 2" x 6"....is that 2" wide (deep) and 6" long?

oh and also, if i cant find the fiberglass (?) reinforced tape, will this work just fine?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213691-98-14...RL=&facetInfo=
7x6 slow fly prop should be fine . Always check to see if your motor/ESC are too hot , if they are , go with less pitch ( the second number ) .
Yes , 2" wide , 6" long .
That tape will probably be OK .

Here are some more photos of another one I'm building
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jul 20, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Jul 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Just finished the build in the pictures above . electricrc68 , I used a 7x6 prop and it worked fine with the Dynam combo . After some easy cruising around , the motor was cold and the ESC was cold .
Jul 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
Always Indecisive
Okay cool thanks! I will use the 7x6 then. Nice 3rd paper plane btw!!!! Looks GREAT!!!! Also, the control surfaces are extremely tight when i put them back into their slots...can i cut the slots out a bit? And....i should mount the ESC and receiver to the fuselage and not the wings just like you did on the third one yes? Finally, is there any special prop mount needed to get it onto the motor? Can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like you didn't need anything.

hehehe my 2000th question. Im full of em.
Last edited by electricrc68; Jul 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Jul 20, 2012, 10:51 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
One last question... Are you using a y cable for the elevators? I don't have one so may just go Elevons and rudder. That may get to be alot to handle though for a beginner.

My wing and fuse are built and the motor is in... Getting close.

Nightstone
Last edited by Nightstone; Jul 21, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Jul 21, 2012, 01:36 AM
Hi...
I build scaled super easy delta, depron 30x30cm, 5gr brushless, auw about 50gram, 4x2.5 poppeller with thrust 53 gram. I have problem to find correct cg.
Jul 21, 2012, 01:41 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68
Okay cool thanks! I will use the 7x6 then. Nice 3rd paper plane btw!!!! Looks GREAT!!!! Also, the control surfaces are extremely tight when i put them back into their slots...can i cut the slots out a bit? And....i should mount the ESC and receiver to the fuselage and not the wings just like you did on the third one yes? Finally, is there any special prop mount needed to get it onto the motor? Can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like you didn't need anything.

hehehe my 2000th question. Im full of em.
Yes , trim a little off of the ends of the control surfaces so they can move without getting hung up . If you mount your electronics like in the picture you should be good .
I don't really understand your question about a special prop mount . Did you get your Dynam combo yet ? When you do you'll see how it all goes together .
Jul 21, 2012, 01:49 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone
One last question... Are you using a y cable for the elevators? I don't have one so may just go Elevons and rudder. That may get to be alot to handle though for a beginner.

My wing and fuse are built and the motor is in... Getting close.

Nightstone
Yes , I used a Y cable for the elevator servos . It should fly fine with elevons if your radio can do the mixing . If you know someone experienced who can trim it for you and you set up some low rates and expo it shouldn't be hard to handle .
If you can , post pictures and a video - I'd love to see them !
Jul 21, 2012, 01:57 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by henjo
Hi...
I build scaled super easy delta, depron 30x30cm, 5gr brushless, auw about 50gram, 4x2.5 poppeller with thrust 53 gram. I have problem to find correct cg.
I would try about 35- 40% of the total length back from the tip of the nose . And be sure to trim in a little up elevator ( reflex ) .
Jul 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
Always Indecisive
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Yes , trim a little off of the ends of the control surfaces so they can move without getting hung up . If you mount your electronics like in the picture you should be good .
I don't really understand your question about a special prop mount . Did you get your Dynam combo yet ? When you do you'll see how it all goes together .
Cool thanks. Yes i got my dynam combo. Sorry, what i was trying to ask about the prop mount is, do i just unscrew those two nuts on the shaft and put the prop there, or is there another prop mount/prop saver i must buy? Not sure if this makes anymore sense....

Quick Reply