Sep 11, 2012, 11:42 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Here is the shorter , wider version of the Simple $ Tree Jet . The original is 20" wide , 30" long . This one is 30" wide , 20" long - makes for a slower roll rate and easier handling .
Looks great Al. It still blows me away that a simple piece of triangular foam flies so well.

Here is a long vid from yesterdays sunset AP flight shot by my wife. Its kinda long and may be a bit boring. But it shows how well the plane flies. Its like a big slow kite. I have it trimmed so that it does big circles in case I have a power issue. The stability is just amazing and blows me away every time I fly it. Btw... check out how slow this plane can fly.

SEAPSunset (16 min 30 sec)

Nightstone
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone
Looks great Al. It still blows me away that a simple piece of triangular foam flies so well.

Here is a long vid from yesterdays sunset AP flight shot by my wife. Its kinda long and may be a bit boring. But it shows how well the plane flies. Its like a big slow kite. I have it trimmed so that it does big circles in case I have a power issue. The stability is just amazing and blows me away every time I fly it. Btw... check out how slow this plane can fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tJ_0...ature=youtu.be

Nightstone
Awesome plane ! Nice , relaxing flying . Was there any wind ? Sometimes I like the adrenaline rush of speed , other times I like that kind of relaxing flying . A couple of months ago I got this reclining lawn chair from Walmart - great for the long , relaxed flights and easy on the neck !
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dining-Chairs/12526795
Sep 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
ski bum
Quote:
Here is the shorter , wider version of the Simple $ Tree Jet . The original is 20" wide , 30" long . This one is 30" wide , 20" long - makes for a slower roll rate and easier handling .
I really love your latest changes! I'd like to put one together. Did you make the sweep exactly 45 deg? Do you plan on posting a basic drawing, or a couple more dimensions, like the distance between fuselage strakes or the chord of the elevons?
Sep 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2XR10
I really love your latest changes! I'd like to put one together. Did you make the sweep exactly 45 deg? Do you plan on posting a basic drawing, or a couple more dimensions, like the distance between fuselage strakes or the chord of the elevons?
Here's the thread for the Simple Dollar Tree Jet ( SDTJ ) .https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1717147
Everything is the same as the original narrow version , I just turned the DT foam board 90* and made the first cuts from top center to bottom left corner , then top center to bottom right corner . Elevons 1 1/2" just like the narrow one , etc. I put the strakes right alongside the prop slot , so how far apart they are depends on how wide you make the prop slot ( which depends on how big your prop is ) . I cut the three points ( nose and wing tips ) off 'cause they seem to just get bent eventually anyway . Making planes is not an exact science for me , I just sort of go for it ! If it works , great ! If not , try something else ! But I learn something every time .
Sep 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
ski bum
Thank you! I should have realized that you were talking about a different plane.

Do you think your latest modifications to the Dollar Tree Jet or your latest version of the Super Easy results in a better plane? Is the Dollar Tree Jet more of a handful?
Sep 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2XR10
Thank you! I should have realized that you were talking about a different plane.

Do you think your latest modifications to the Dollar Tree Jet or your latest version of the Super Easy results in a better plane? Is the Dollar Tree Jet more of a handful?
The shorter , wider DT Jet has a slower roll rate than the original narrower one , so it is a little easier to handle . If you're comparing both wide and narrow jets to the Super Easy , the SE is MUCH easier to fly than the jets because the SE is a high dihedral wing ( inherent stability ) rudder/elevator slow flyer , and the jets are flat mid wing ( no inherent stability ) elevon speedsters .
Are you building an SE or Simple DT Jet ? If you are a beginning RC flyer go with the Super Easy . If you have some experience flying with ailerons or elevons then go for a jet .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 15, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Sep 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Hey Al

I figured out why some of my planes were having a rough time flying. When I setup elevon mixing in my DX6i I followed an online guide that seemed pretty popular. Lots of thank you's and it worked great etc. Well come to find out the guide was wrong in a few areas. I'm kind of $#%*&^% but ultimately its my own fault. Never take what you read on the internet for granted... Whew...

The first part of the vid shows the servo moving 50% one direction and 100% the other. This is with the rates in both directions kept even on the elev mix. Telling someone to keep them even is a recipe for disaster because as you can see it does not keep them even. As you move the rates up they finally level out at 125%. So they have to be at this level to work properly. Same goes for the Aiel mix.

So... now I know why some of my planes where not pulling up. Bringing those rates down on a first flight was just a recipe for disaster. One would go down and one would not. Real messed up.

Well at least its fixed now and i'm going back to a few of my failed experiments for another go at them. That and rebuilding my f22 since it took the brunt of figuring this out.

Incorrectmix (0 min 30 sec)

Nightstone
Sep 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Hey Al

I figured out why some of my planes were having a rough time flying. When I setup elevon mixing in my DX6i I followed an online guide that seemed pretty popular. Lots of thank you's and it worked great etc. Well come to find out the guide was wrong in a few areas. I'm kind of $#%*&^% but ultimately its my own fault. Never take what you read on the internet for granted... Whew...

The first part of the vid shows the servo moving 50% one direction and 100% the other. This is with the rates in both directions kept even on the elev mix. Telling someone to keep them even is a recipe for disaster because as you can see it does not keep them even. As you move the rates up they finally level out at 125%. So they have to be at this level to work properly. Same goes for the Aiel mix.

So... now I know why some of my planes where not pulling up. Bringing those rates down on a first flight was just a recipe for disaster. One would go down and one would not. Real messed up.

Well at least its fixed now and i'm going back to a few of my failed experiments for another go at them. That and rebuilding my f22 since it took the brunt of figuring this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bvC5...ature=youtu.be

Nightstone
Yeah , I still haven't figured out everything on the DX6i yet . Just the other day I learned to use sub trim when doing the initial set up on a plane . And a ( newbie ) flying buddy of mine got himself aDX7 that's even MORE complicated than the DX6i - guess who gets to figure that one out !?! As you said , $#%*&^% !!!
Sep 19, 2012, 02:21 AM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Quote:
Yeah , I still haven't figured out everything on the DX6i yet . Just the other day I learned to use sub trim when doing the initial set up on a plane . And a ( newbie ) flying buddy of mine got himself aDX7 that's even MORE complicated than the DX6i - guess who gets to figure that one out !?! As you said , $#%*&^% !!!
Here is the fix for the DX6i and elevons. It fixes everything correctly. Tried it today and it works great. Not sure if your doing it this way or not. It just really ^$#@% me off that Spektrum has known about the issue for over 4 years now and has not fixed it. I'm sure there are lots and lots of wrecked planes because of this. Totally unacceptable from a company. Will not purchase another one of their products again.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=35

Nightstone
Sep 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Here is the fix for the DX6i and elevons. It fixes everything correctly. Tried it today and it works great. Not sure if your doing it this way or not. It just really ^$#@% me off that Spektrum has known about the issue for over 4 years now and has not fixed it. I'm sure there are lots and lots of wrecked planes because of this. Totally unacceptable from a company. Will not purchase another one of their products again.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=35

Nightstone
I haven't had any problems with elevon mixing on mine . The only problem I've had ( in two years of frequent use ) is two broken trim tabs and one broken menu navigation roller - both easy fixes . Replaced them with metal ones from East RC .
Sep 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Hi Al

I was experimenting again and came up with this plane... Knowing that you need dihedral to make a rudder work better I started wondering if polyhedral would work as well. Not seeing many delta designs with polyhedral I decided to give it a go. I wanted self righting, Protected prop and motor, Able to handle winds ( Delta ), Something my son in law can fly and not lawn dart in to the ground.

Some things I was unsure of was the effects of the elevated motor and the prop wash across the elevator and rudder. Well it ended up fine.

I ended up with a plane that flies very well at any speed... Check out my hover in landing at the end of the video. This was in calm winds.

Anyway... Plane weighs in at 260 grams with the battery ( Its light ). 7 inch prop on a 2000kv motor. 800mah battery for 9-10 minute flight times. Motor is elevated and orientation could be front or back ( Mine was front ). Polyhedral wing tips are not very large yet provide lots of stability and the rudder works great.

I'm calling it an EMPDelta. Elevated Motor Polyhedral Delta.

I'm going to do a water version with floats underneath too. I think the plane would be perfect for this.

Vid was my maiden.

EM Delta (7 min 54 sec)

Nightstone
Sep 24, 2012, 09:41 AM
Nightstone

Great job! Flys good, and motor forward helps with balancing the weight of all that foam in the rear. What are dimensions? Still 30" long X 40" span? Is wing covered with tape or paper? Keeping the dihedral joints at the tips keeps the strength of the sheet across the middle. What is motor wattage rating? Have you gotten your watt meter yet? Prop looks like a GWS EP 7038. Am I right? With 2000 rpm/V, I'm figuring a 2S battery will turn that prop above 10,000 rpm to give enough thrust. Sure flies like there's plenty.

Thanks for the new version.

Joe
Sep 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi Al

I was experimenting again and came up with this plane... Knowing that you need dihedral to make a rudder work better I started wondering if polyhedral would work as well. Not seeing many delta designs with polyhedral I decided to give it a go. I wanted self righting, Protected prop and motor, Able to handle winds ( Delta ), Something my son in law can fly and not lawn dart in to the ground.

Some things I was unsure of was the effects of the elevated motor and the prop wash across the elevator and rudder. Well it ended up fine.

I ended up with a plane that flies very well at any speed... Check out my hover in landing at the end of the video. This was in calm winds.

Anyway... Plane weighs in at 260 grams with the battery ( Its light ). 7 inch prop on a 2000kv motor. 800mah battery for 9-10 minute flight times. Motor is elevated and orientation could be front or back ( Mine was front ). Polyhedral wing tips are not very large yet provide lots of stability and the rudder works great.

I'm calling it an EMPDelta. Elevated Motor Polyhedral Delta.

I'm going to do a water version with floats underneath too. I think the plane would be perfect for this.

Vid was my maiden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvQd...ature=youtu.be

Nightstone
I like it ! Looks like it would be great for beginning builders/flyers . Looking forward to seeing the water version !
Sep 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe
Nightstone

Great job! Flys good, and motor forward helps with balancing the weight of all that foam in the rear. What are dimensions? Still 30" long X 40" span? Is wing covered with tape or paper? Keeping the dihedral joints at the tips keeps the strength of the sheet across the middle. What is motor wattage rating? Have you gotten your watt meter yet? Prop looks like a GWS EP 7038. Am I right? With 2000 rpm/V, I'm figuring a 2S battery will turn that prop above 10,000 rpm to give enough thrust. Sure flies like there's plenty.

Thanks for the new version.

Joe
Thanks Joe

Yep that motor up top is kinda cool. you can put it where ever you want to balance the plane however you want. Size wise its 2 inches smaller than the full size. I cut off 2 inch strips off each wing for the bottom strips. I used scrap for the rudder and EPP/DT sandwich for the mount. Paper is off and the foam is taped. The motor is a HK USA store cheapo using a 3s 800Mah. I just got my watt meter an hour or so ago and should have watt info soon.

Here is a full throttle run I did this morning ( Winds were 5-9 according to airport near by ). It flew surprisingly well at full throttle. No idea how fast it was going but it seemed to be moving right along. It was very stable at full speed with no bad habits that I could see. The video is of it doing laps around my flying field. Its tame enough for my son in law yet fast enough to give the illusion that hes flying a fast plane ( Wink, Wink ).

EmoDelta2 (1 min 53 sec)

Here is the motor. Cheap motor that I really like. Have 3 of these and they work great not to mention being crash resistant.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Nightstone
Sep 24, 2012, 11:53 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Well got to test that motor a few minutes ago. Anyways... So much for Hobby Kings posted specs of 7.3 amps and a 5x3 prop. I'm getting 17.87 amps and 203 watts. I have run this motor with a 6030, 6050, 7030, 7060 prop without blowing them up. I don't do whole flights at full throttle though.

When I got this motor I kind of guessed at the esc and went with a 20a. Glad I did because I really underestimated the amperage this motor pulls. If I had went with HK's specs I would have a cooked ESC right now. well guessing days are over now...

Oh... before I forget. I picked up a Turnigy meter that tests it all.

Nightstone

Quick Reply