Why Are Most Chargers DC? - RC Groups
Nov 13, 2003, 12:15 AM
Lagopus lagopus
Question

Why Are Most Chargers DC?

I notice lot of high-end chargers are DC powered and sue 12 volts. Why is that?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2003, 12:24 AM
Greater portability, and global compatibility would be a good guess.
Nov 13, 2003, 12:50 AM
Because a power supply that can handle enough current to be usefull and run on AC and 12 volts would make for a rather large and costly charger. In addition since most people take their car when they fly models a 12 volt only charger makes more sense.

Steve
Nov 13, 2003, 12:52 AM
radar jammer
above ^^^^ and, because it's much cheaper to make ie greater profits, reduced shipping costs, less inventory overhead, fewer employees and less square footage needed for the business/warehousing.
Nov 13, 2003, 03:27 AM
abocve ^^^^ and because its quite hard to get safety approval on mains powered products. Adds even MORE cost to the product.
Nov 13, 2003, 05:32 AM
I think they should make them both ac/dc. All of my rc car battery chargers were ac/dc and I found this very convenient.
Nov 13, 2003, 06:47 AM
I don't. Why should I pay more for a feature I'd never use??
Your car chargers did not have to charge up to 30 cells. It's quite easy to make an AC charger that only has to worry about 6-8 cells. Professional switch-mode AC power supplies that can produce enough power (20A @ 13V or so) for our chargers cost ?$60 and are usually larger than the charger itself. For the very top-end chargers, even this is not sufficient for the largerst packs.
..a
Nov 13, 2003, 07:42 AM
The marketplace decides. If a company thought that enough people were willing to pay extra for a charger with built-in power supply, they'd produce it and grab the market share. In fact, there are a few chargers available with built-in power supplies that you simply plug into the wall. Apparently they don't command much market share.