Dec 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
gang.....so i got carried away. since i wasn't utilizing a camera within the canopy, i decided to make things a bit more aerodynamic . using the penguins packaging styrofoam and some fashionable camo (which is the only thing i had hanging around).....i came up with this.
it will be a few days before a test flight, will keep ya posted!
rbt in wi
Last edited by rbtgold; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11
Looking good!

I'm hoping that your placement of the video tx antenna is not blocked by the GoPro when flying back home.
Thanks!
Do you really think there's a chance to the tx being block by the GoPro?
I'm far from an expert in video transmitting issues, and I would like to know if there is any risk in putting the tx in such location near the GoPro.
It's better to get it fixed now and not in the moment of truth...
What can be a better location?

BTW, this is 2.4Ghz video tx.
Dec 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
RMRC
Thread OP
Haha, I'm no expert either. If you end up having some video issues, it would be the first place I would look. Hopefully it's just fine.
Dec 18, 2012, 07:09 PM
< 250g FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas
Has anyone mounted their Tx antenna in the wing with a coax back to the Tx?
I put the vTx and CP antenna on the wing tip and ran shielded wire back to the OSD and camera.
Dec 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
Gulp* pitot tube trust me first oops and it 9 bucks...
Dec 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enn0L
Thanks!
Do you really think there's a chance to the tx being block by the GoPro?
I'm far from an expert in video transmitting issues, and I would like to know if there is any risk in putting the tx in such location near the GoPro.
It's better to get it fixed now and not in the moment of truth...
What can be a better location?

BTW, this is 2.4Ghz video tx.
When you're coming back, the GoPro will definitely block the signal and you're going to see a noticeable difference when you change orientation. If you're already near the limit, that will wipe things out further.
Dec 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus
I put the vTx and CP antenna on the wing tip and ran shielded wire back to the OSD and camera.
Good to know. I'm afraid my Vtx is too heavy.
Dec 19, 2012, 05:36 AM
Made a little change to the tx antenna position, will make few check ups in the air and see if it blocks the signal. Hopefully it should be OK, as I don't plan to fly long distances (more than 5 km).
Also figured up the problem with the tx, 2 hours of soldering and everything works.

I just think about the weight, as I will use 2 x 3300 mAh 4S batteries, 1 x 1000 mAh battery for the video, and the GoPro with casing which makes the whole thing heavier... and the 40 grams on the tail that I added.

Anyone here tried using GoPro with case and/or needed to add weight on tail for CG? It will more as a glider or as a brick?! The motor is M2815.

Other issue I thought about is ESC cooling. I use the 60 amp Finwing. Read some comments here about cooling problems with 4S batteries. Any ideas for solution or it's not a big deal?

Name: Photo 19-12-12 12 24 37.jpg
Views: 374
Size: 224.2 KB
Description:
Last edited by Enn0L; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Dec 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
RMRC
Thread OP
If you have a proper CG, you should be fine. It may be a little on the heavy side, but it will fly.

For better cooling, try making the front air intake a little bigger. Also, if you aren't using the bottom camera, take out the plastic bubble for more air flow.
Dec 19, 2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Made a little change to the tx antenna position, will make few check ups in the air and see if it blocks the signal. Hopefully it should be OK, as I don't plan to fly long distances (more than 5 km).
Also figured up the problem with the tx, 2 hours of soldering and everything works.

I just think about the weight, as I will use 2 x 3300 mAh 4S batteries, 1 x 1000 mAh battery for the video, and the GoPro with casing which makes the whole thing heavier... and the 40 grams on the tail that I added.

Anyone here tried using GoPro with case and/or needed to add weight on tail for CG? It will more as a glider or as a brick?! The motor is M2815.

Other issue I thought about is ESC cooling. I use the 60 amp Finwing. Read some comments here about cooling problems with 4S batteries. Any ideas for solution or it's not a big deal?

Attachment 5383098
You'll probably still have problems but not necessarily if you're going straight back home but at a very slight angle. Unless it's higher than the GoPro, you'll likely have problems, especially if you consider your not very far range as 5km. Unless you're using a really high power vTx or a high gain tracking antenna, you're going to run into blockage because of the camera. Same goes for the motor area when you're going out as the antenna doesn't really go much higher than the top of the plane.
Dec 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
Focus-Fixers for DJI Goggles
Quote:

Attachment 5383098
I have a similar configuration and I'm also very concerned about AUW. I'm almost ready for test flights with the additional weight. It would be heartbreaking for it to crash n burn after the time I've spent.

Why do you need the extra 40grams on the tail? For proper CG balance? You can't move the batteries a little bit forward to achieve proper CG? It sure would be nice to dump that wasted 40 grams.

Chris
Dec 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
The problem with my CG is that it's too forward. I tried moving the batteries as backwards as possible and it wasn't enough. What I did was putting the second battery on top of the first one and moving the top one as deep into the fuselage as possible and adding those 40 grams.
Maybe I'll try to find some configuration for the batteries to make proper CG without adding weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11
If you have a proper CG, you should be fine. It may be a little on the heavy side, but it will fly.

For better cooling, try making the front air intake a little bigger. Also, if you aren't using the bottom camera, take out the plastic bubble for more air flow.
I made the front air intake bigger (cut both little holes into one). Regarding the plastic bubble, although I don't use the bottom camera I'm afraid of dirt coming in.
Dec 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
RMRC
Thread OP
Quote:
I made the front air intake bigger (cut both little holes into one). Regarding the plastic bubble, although I don't use the bottom camera I'm afraid of dirt coming in.
Now that would be a big air intake!

Do you fly in a dusty area or something? If not you don't, I wouldn't worry about dirt getting in there. I might have a blade of grass or two but thats it.
Dec 19, 2012, 05:28 PM
Focus-Fixers for DJI Goggles
Quote:
The problem with my CG is that it's too forward. I tried moving the batteries as backwards as possible and it wasn't enough. What I did was putting the second battery on top of the first one and moving the top one as deep into the fuselage as possible and adding those 40 grams.
Maybe I'll try to find some configuration for the batteries to make proper CG without adding weight...

Oh ok, I had it backwards, right battery backwards.. duh. Mine balances ok with all my gear on the nose, etc.. I also have my gps and my LRS antenna mounted halfway back toward the tail so that may be helping a bit. Anything other gear you can move toward the tail?

Chris
Dec 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Good information keep it coming.

I just got mine it came very well boxed from ReadymadeRC. This thing is a payload monster, the size of the FPV area is massive!

I am planning on flying the Penguin with....

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1200kv Brushless Outrunner Motor

Specs.
Turns: 14T
Voltage: 3~4S Lipoly
RPM/V: 1200kv
Internal resistance: 0.028 Ohm
Max Loading: 38A
Max Power: 560W
Shaft Dia: 5.0mm
Bolt holes: 25mm
Bolt thread: M3
Weight: 111g
Motor Plug: 3.5mm Bullet Connector

and ESC....
TURNIGY Plush 40amp Speed Controller
Specs:
Cont Current: 40A
Burst Current: 55A
BEC Mode: Linear
BEC : 5v / 3A
Lipo Cells: 2-6
NiMH : 5-18
Weight: 33g
Size: 55x28x13mm

Thanks
Tom
Last edited by Tom.in.Maryland; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply