May 16, 2018, 09:32 AM
I like her lip gloss. LOL
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 12:12 PM
Who are these that fly?

WW2 US Fighter Pilot

Here's the pilot figure for the P-51B I'm building from plans. The WW2 US Fighter Pilot is from Aces of Iron and is 1/7 scale.
Painting was brushed-on Testors enamels. It was given to me by my daughter as a Father's Day gift. The pilot figure is resin. The paints were all applied by hand using a brush. The goggle lenses are 5-minute epoxy. The shoulder patch and vest inspection notice are all water slide decals on white decal sheets. Used Micro-sol to soften the decals and a decal lacquer to seal. I sprayed the entire pilot with a matte finish rattle can spray. The second coat hazed, so I had to rub a small amount of petroleum jelly over the surface to restore the full colors.

The figure tied for first place at the Cincinnati Scale Modelers' monthly meeting. Beat out 15-20 other plastic model entries and tied with a Japanese torpedo plane.
Jul 09, 2019, 08:16 PM
Dinosaur
You did good, UpNup. He looks like he's ready for some action.
Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Tom
Jul 09, 2019, 08:29 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Thread OP
Very Nice work sir!
glad to see some action on this thread.
Jul 09, 2019, 10:27 PM
Themadartist

A Primary Pilot ...

Here's a couple of snaps of the pilot of a primary glider, launched at Mt. Borah during the 2015 Manilla Slope Fest.
Jul 10, 2019, 07:37 PM
Dinosaur
Sort of looks like David Crosby.

Tom
Jul 19, 2019, 01:10 PM
Who are these that fly?

Painting WW2 Pilot Figure in Khaki

Aces of Iron made good on an offer to send a second WW2 Pilot. The first one they sent had some defects and they stood by their product. So, it gave me an opportunity to try a khaki variation.

1. Brushed a light shade of olive green into jacket folds.
2. The khaki paint is flat khaki camo rattle can spray paint. It served as a light base coat with the folds showing through.
3. I cut out a tie and collar pieces from a discarded Champ elevator. It CA’d into place. I kept the tie wrinkled when cramming it into place.
4. Most of the model was hand brushed with Testors paints. I dry brushed a lighter shade of brown across the shirt. Left the tie khaki.
5. Used brown 1:10 to thinner for dabbing a wash into the life vest. Used black 1:10 to thinner wash over the helmet and jacket. It really ran into the crevices. I spot-painted highlights on some places across the khaki.
6. Hit the model with a light coat of matte flat lacquer. I still need to spot touch up the shirt in spots.
7. Painted all the silver parts and floated 5-min. epoxy into the lenses.

Took about five hours.
Last edited by UpNup; Jul 19, 2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply