New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:53 AM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Here's a user's video of an Octo flying with 2 props removed.
Showing position hold and RTH:

#copter with AutoQuad - Octocopter without of two propellers test flight - RTH (5 min 28 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
blade strike is online now
Find More Posts by blade strike
DJI Testing / US Support
blade strike's Avatar
I have a question.. If I update f/w do I have to redo the dance or any other calibration?
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I have a question.. If I update f/w do I have to redo the dance or any other calibration?
Nope - only if you change something essential like the MCU, sensors etc:
http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/autoquad-calibrations
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
teramax is offline
Find More Posts by teramax
sorry, my english is bad
teramax's Avatar
Guys believe me, meanwhile i own and fly my second AQ rig with awsome stability.
Doing the whole calibration progress a second time it is a piece of cake.

Static cali while building the frame than put the board on the frame, do your Calypso dance and while completing the hardware let the PC do its job.
First a make a quick´n dirty calculation to get the rig in the air. And while i make further builds and improvements on the frame the pc has again much more time to calculate.
Time to first lift of ~20h
Then upload second and better calculation and have fun!

AutoQuad fun, (1 min 53 sec)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rufio is online now
Find More Posts by Rufio
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Here's a user's video of an Octo flying with 2 props removed.
kinderkram, its nothing unusually, I think, if You have just GOOD FC (I saw a video with MK octo flying without 3 engines). I think with AQ it is no problem to beat it.
I have to add that this octo PID tuning take me about 20min. On MK tuning take me (and not only me) much much much looooonger and effects are similar.
Last edited by Rufio; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Yes, that's what we're telling: once you've successfully gone through the calibrations & calculations much less tuning is needed to get a stable aircraft.

No other project I know of focusses that excessively on sensor calibration like the AQ6.
Though it uses the best sensors at that price range, it's still low budget.

To compensate the gap between professional factory calibrated sensors that start at several hundred $$ and add up to several thousands, you need to put some efforts into the hardware. If done properly your FC is worth double the price if you take current market prices into account.

So to say: each freeze'n'thaw saves you money - plus you'll get payed for each Calibso.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:44 PM
blade strike is online now
Find More Posts by blade strike
DJI Testing / US Support
blade strike's Avatar
First test flight done.. I do have two issues, in the PC GC HUD roll is reversed. 2nd I had to reverse my elevator ch(dx8).. Are these standard issues or config issues?

I do have to say for stock settings, it flew very nice. Altitude hold needs some tunning but POS Hold held great!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:54 PM
roxyboby is offline
Find More Posts by roxyboby
Registered User
Hey why dont you guys do a kick starter. You could then probably bring your costs down and I could afford one ;-)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:46 AM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
First test flight done.. I do have two issues, in the PC GC HUD roll is reversed. 2nd I had to reverse my elevator ch(dx8).. Are these standard issues or config issues?

I do have to say for stock settings, it flew very nice. Altitude hold needs some tunning but POS Hold held great!
If you roll your aircraft right (CW) the HUD moves left (CCW). This is how it should be.

Every radio is different. In combination with various FCs you might need to reverse one or another channel.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:14 AM
JussiH is offline
Find More Posts by JussiH
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyboby View Post
Hey why dont you guys do a kick starter. You could then probably bring your costs down and I could afford one ;-)
Kickstarter wont make it cheaper. One of the reasons that AQ is relatively "expensive" is that we use a LEA-6T precision timing and raw data GPS module and a 35*35 active antenna with SAW filter. Those 2 parts represent more than 1/3 of the total BOM.

Go ahead and google the price on a LEA-6T module, you will find that the retail price on those is usually on the order of 60-70 euro for a single module. I have seen them as high as 99E.

We chose the 6T module, because our tests revealed that it offered better precision than other LEA 6 modules. With the raw data available we also get an option to add RTK later on and acheive precision down to a few centimeters.

To be completely frank, I think that AQ is sold at a very attractive price, especially when you look at the featureset and compare with what other "similar" systems cost.

With AQ you get it all for 319E plus VAT. Full mission planner with 25 waypoints (we plan to increase the number of waypoints), precise position hold, orbit, auto takeoff/landing, camera stabi, full datalogging. Those are features our "competition" will charge you 3-4 times as much for...and we are working on new features, that we wont charge you extra for..

Add to that the option to use the ESC32 and you get a system that in my opinion is unrivaled in the current market

Of course you have to invest some time in sensor calibration, but its well within the limits of most users abilities.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:22 AM
braindead4554 is offline
Find More Posts by braindead4554
Multicopter Addict
braindead4554's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Kickstarter wont make it cheaper. One of the reasons that AQ is relatively "expensive" is that we use a LEA-6T precision timing and raw data GPS module and a 35*35 active antenna with SAW filter. Those 2 parts represent more than 1/3 of the total BOM.

Go ahead and google the price on a LEA-6T module, you will find that the retail price on those is usually on the order of 60-70 euro for a single module. I have seen them as high as 99E.

We chose the 6T module, because our tests revealed that it offered better precision than other LEA 6 modules. With the raw data available we also get an option to add RTK later on and acheive precision down to a few centimeters.

To be completely frank, I think that AQ is sold at a very attractive price, especially when you look at the featureset and compare with what other "similar" systems cost.

With AQ you get it all for 319E plus VAT. Full mission planner with 25 waypoints (we plan to increase the number of waypoints), precise position hold, orbit, auto takeoff/landing, camera stabi, full datalogging. Those are features our "competition" will charge you 3-4 times as much for...and we are working on new features, that we wont charge you extra for..

Add to that the option to use the ESC32 and you get a system that in my opinion is unrivaled in the current market

Of course you have to invest some time in sensor calibration, but its well within the limits of most users abilities.
And this my friends is why I am saving all my pennies for
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
blade strike is online now
Find More Posts by blade strike
DJI Testing / US Support
blade strike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
If you roll your aircraft right (CW) the HUD moves left (CCW). This is how it should be.

Every radio is different. In combination with various FCs you might need to reverse one or another channel.
I was just making sure, thank you

Today will be tuning day..Stock settings look pretty good just wasn't holding altitude.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:19 AM
Adilson is online now
Find More Posts by Adilson
Discovering the joys of flying
Adilson's Avatar
Not directly related to Autoquad but I was wondering: would the calibration procedure make sense to other boards, say Autopilot or Black Vortex? I guess it would if the calibration routines was implemented into their software.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:44 AM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adilson View Post
Not directly related to Autoquad but I was wondering: would the calibration procedure make sense to other boards, say Autopilot or Black Vortex? I guess it would if the calibration routines was implemented into their software.
It would make sense to any FC - especially the temperature calibration.
Even MEMS gyros drift. But the firmware needs to support this and you need an external routine to do the calculations which is the most difficult part.

I'm pretty sure that DJI & ZUAV do an inhouse calibration - but these can only take a given standard frame into account while the AQ6 takes YOUR airframe.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
Adilson is online now
Find More Posts by Adilson
Discovering the joys of flying
Adilson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
It would make sense to any FC - especially the temperature calibration.
Even MEMS gyros drift. But the firmware needs to support this and you need an external routine to do the calculations which is the most difficult part.

I'm pretty sure that DJI & ZUAV do an inhouse calibration - but these can only take a given standard frame into account while the AQ6 takes YOUR airframe.
Indeed makes sense. I've been thinking about take a look at this to see if I can come up with a more generic solution that could be applied to differnet FCs. I would love to get my hands on a AQ6 but it's simply too expensive specially considering that import taxes in Brazil are absurdly high: at least 60% over the price of the goods + shipping (yes, we pay taxes over the fsking shipping too) and 17% over that in some states


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Autoquad team proudly presents: Autoquad ESC32 JussiH Multirotor Electronics 301 Apr 16, 2016 10:05 PM
Discussion Naza dji sh gps - south hemisphere public beta testers results! Velociraptor73 Multirotor Talk 26 Nov 20, 2012 02:45 AM
Discussion How Bloomberg's Soft Drink Ban Will Backfire on NYC Public Health MtnGoat Life, The Universe, and Politics 1 Jun 27, 2012 12:19 AM
Discussion The AutoQuad! [ video ] kapteinkuk Multirotor Talk 5 Jun 10, 2012 12:19 PM
Download G-3 Public Beta (.426) is out. Includes Airplane Importer! L0stS0ul Simulators 37 Mar 03, 2006 06:28 PM