Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 01, 2012, 10:53 PM
Build Log

CTH Deep Reaper XL

I started my Reaper XL build today. I started by taking some weights of the kit parts and foam prior to adding glue, covering or other equipment to compare later.

- Foam wing cores and blunt nose section weighed 206 grams
- Elevons weighed 24 grams
- Colorplast wing tips weighed 30 grams
- Everything else from the kit weighed 218 grams

I used a low temp hot glue gun to glue the blunt nose section to the wing halves. I made sure the halves remained flat on the workbench by using some duck tape and a few heavy items around the garage (The bottom of the wing is flat, so that helps). Following the directions, I used a soldering iron to open up the channels for the spars and installed them along with the metal sections and shock cord. My next step is the motor cut-out, but I am waiting for my motor and props to show up in a few days.

At this point in the build the wing weighs 315 grams with spars and metal joiners.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2012, 11:00 PM

Gear List

I will be using the following gear for this wing:
- Dragon Link Rx
- Turnigy MG930 Digital Metal Gear Servos
- NTM Prop Drive Series 35-30A 1400kv
- APC 9x6
- Hobbyking SS Series 40-50A ESC
- (2) 3s 4000 20C Zippy Flightmax

FPV Gear:
- SN555
- 260 pan servo
- RMRC 1280 800mw Vtx
- Cloverleaf
- Dragon OSD+ v2
- UBEC
Jul 05, 2012, 09:14 PM
The manual suggests a motor cut out 14 inches from the nose if you plan on having allot of FPV gear on the front. Most people use a GoPro, but I seem to be in the minority, so I opted to put my motor mount 13 inches back to help balance the cg without having to add dead nose weight later. I also installed the shock cord all around the edge and now I am waiting for the Scotch Extreme tape to come in.
Jul 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
I completed the build this evening. Going to do some power off test glides to dial in the CG and reflex. My AUW came in at 3 lbs 14.5oz ready to fly. I'll post some new photos tomorrow.
Jul 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
I ditched this project in frustration trying to get it launched by myself. Glide tests went fine but when I did power on tosses it was like it had no power to get on step and climb out. I am giving the cores to someone else that has more time play with it.

Update: Volto has the wing and is going to play with different motor/prop combos as he has more time to work on it than I do.
Last edited by cactus; Aug 03, 2012 at 08:32 AM.