Aug 07, 2012, 06:11 AM
I was flying my Beast in the backyard a hawk took a dive at it. Luckily I banked and it overshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdriver
Guys a funny thing happen to me on sunday was flying the mig probably the hottest so far here in SOCAL 104 degrees , any ways back to the scenerio i ended in dog fight with a hawk , she came out of no where she dove on my mig lucky for me I saw her in time , and dove as the hawk was swooping on the mig got out of the way just in time , good thing I was full throttle , then i pull up and went straight up roll then dove the mig again , the hawk was right there at one point she was right next to the mig as she was checking the mig out perhaps confused as what kind of bird is this , I was doing everything rolling , turnning fast , diving , looping ,my drennalin was pumping , my friend that witness all this said at one point i was inverted and pulling outside loops hell I was just trying to get away lucky for me the hawk gave up . land it the little mig after that , the little mig survive to fight another day , that was the probaby best dog fight i`ve ever had . to bad we didnt get pics of that . LOL
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2012, 06:12 AM
Flew her again last night and lost orientation in the fading light, no biggie, just cut power and she plopped done with little to no damage. Smashed the nose a little, lost some paint, that was it. Took off again right after!
Aug 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt
I was flying my Beast in the backyard a hawk took a dive at it.
I don't know the reason, but my MiG seems to attract MANY more avians than any other micro I fly.

Gene K
Aug 07, 2012, 09:24 AM
when down=up, up=expensive

(All) American Swallows

Interesting to see the bird reports. I had my Mig out last night and ran three batteries through it. I've had birds chase airplanes before, but last night, I had a spectacular dog fight with not one, but an ENTIRE FLOCK of swallows. There must have been about 50 of them chasing the mig, coming in from every direction. There is something so cool about shooting out ahead of them at WOT, rolling fast and yanking back on the sticks to bring the fight back to them. it was hillarious to see a black cloud of birds chasing the Mig, only to have the Mig spin around and chase the black cloud. I was afraid I'd get one in the intake!

Definitely hooked on this Mig, can't wait to get out again tonight.

East Coast - how's your paperclip nosewheel holding up? I can already tell that it won't be long before I'm going to have to replace mine, and I'm thinking I liked the look of yours better. Also, what did you use to hold the wheel on?
Last edited by whichwaysup; Aug 07, 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: all thumbs
Aug 07, 2012, 10:38 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1
I've seen some comments on using a 3S, but what is the final verdict? Should I try a 3S battery? Pros? Cons? I just don't want to burn up the ESC or AS3X board....

30+ flights on mine and she is still flying great!
The final verdict is that there have been 0 reported failures on 3S. however, It is more than the designed specs and will void any warranty on it.
Here are the other caveats:
1. The brick can not handle the current at full throttle you must limit the throttle to 80%.
-This isn't a huge problem as anything over 50% is MUCH more power than 2S. 80% gives about a 1:1 thrust:weight ratio.
-If you do go over, the brick has a built-in Over Current Protection and will shut down the motor until the throttle is 0 for 2-3 seconds.

2. You'll have to install some form heatsink on the ESC FETs and the Voltage Regulator to handle the heat as there is no airflow over them.
-It is really easy and takes about 15 min to do. In fact the hardest part is taking that double-sided tape plastic canopy off the plane!

3. Battery life: There will be no LVC to save you. You MUST set a timer and follow it. This is especially hard as you'll only get 2:30 max on a 3s180mAh.

Birds: Yeah Swallows are fearless in attacking almost any UM plane. The coolest thing I've had happen was a juvenile Bald Eagle (about a 5ft wingspan) decided to take a run at my UMX sbach. I barely escaped that one and If I was flying any other plane it probably would have been a goner.

-Brian
Aug 07, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info kalmon. Im gonna try 3s. Wondering now if HK has a compatible motor with lower kv for 3s....Going to try it anyway though.
Aug 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
Since I am replacing servos, I thought that I would treat myself to a new fuse and tail. I did not realize that the wings were glued to the fuse. I have a talent for making more work for myself. Does anyone know how to remove the wings intact from the fuse?
Aug 07, 2012, 12:20 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor
......Does anyone know how to remove the wings intact from the fuse?
No, but I'm an authority on non-intact, if that helps.

Aug 07, 2012, 12:23 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
East Coast - how's your paperclip nosewheel holding up? I can already tell that it won't be long before I'm going to have to replace mine, and I'm thinking I liked the look of yours better. Also, what did you use to hold the wheel on?
I know he's on vacation so his answer may take a few more days, he's usually good at answering right away.....
Aug 07, 2012, 12:37 PM
Closed Account
I've managed to put a crease in the fixed part of the elevator. What's the best way of strenghening it so it doesn't flex when the elevator is moved up and down.
Aug 07, 2012, 12:47 PM
Do you see what I see?
Some of the guys have used Carbon Tow on the horizontal stab as well as the ELE. Maybe that might work for ya?
Aug 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc230266
I've managed to put a crease in the fixed part of the elevator. What's the best way of strenghening it so it doesn't flex when the elevator is moved up and down.
It has been shown quite a few times, I think the best pic is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1168

The third pic is the Tail section, although the plastic spoon servo covers are a cool idea as well.

-Brian
Aug 07, 2012, 12:51 PM
Do you see what I see?
I forgot the specs that Pug used. I wanna say 0.1mm CF rod, here's the Carbon Tow if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12k-Carbon-F...item337204e413

I had to order it off eBay since a few of the LHS here in Southern California didn't carry it. Plus I have been meaning to get some for awhile, 10ft at a total of $4.98 I thought was good.
Aug 07, 2012, 12:57 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
I forgot the specs that Pug used. I wanna say 0.1mm CF rod
Ooops, mistake, I believe the weight was 0.1 from Pug but Husafreak used 1mm CF rod which he placed INSIDE the horizontal stab!!!!!
Aug 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
Parkzone junkie
I used .040" (1mm) CF round rod. I found it was lighter and better in this application than the flat stuff.
FYI the strength in the flat stuff resists bending in the axis of the flat direction so the way it was installed it would resist forward and backwards bending, when what we want is up down strength. The loads are so light on this scale plane that it does work though.

On my Sbach I cut the CF into the horizontal stab so that it was flat. I did this because I had the stab off. With the stab on the plane it is very hard to cut the groove in the stab.

-Brian

Quick Reply