Jul 30, 2019, 05:27 AM
I've reattached the wings with Uhu Por and it ends up just like the factory job. Using epoxy will add weight and make a brittle bond. Uhu Por stays flexible like original factory glue and can be separated like factory glue if needed for future repairs /replacement. Epoxy is FOREVER.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2019, 06:23 PM
They call me Lipo...

Morning Sortie out at Newberry Springs!

So I took the little MiGlet out recently for a morning sortie at the community center and baseball diamond out in Newberry Springs, California !
E-flite UMX MiG-15 EDF - Morning Sortie over Newberry Springs! (6 min 43 sec)

Sorry for the proverbial "Dust-dot" video that so many folks understandably seem to hate, but I'm a one man operation and I'm doing the best I can to bring you with me to the flying field

Also, she's a fast little bugger and zips by pretty good !

Happy landings everyone and I hope you enjoy the show
Sep 03, 2019, 06:54 AM
Michael S.
Kewl!! I fly alone too so don't have a way of getting vids.
Sep 03, 2019, 11:46 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Nice flying & great location! The MiGlet is such a great-flying, fun little plane! Still love my original!

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Sep 03, 2019, 08:41 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstanleyfl
Kewl!! I fly alone too so don't have a way of getting vids.
Thanks Michael !

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Nice flying & great location! The MiGlet is such a great-flying, fun little plane! Still love my original!

Joel
Thanks brother Joel! I'm glad you liked the location...the MiG and the desert really make a striking combo/contrast. The more I fly the little MiGlet, the more I'm liking it over the old one. You oughta pick up a new version before they're gone....they're fun size !
Sep 05, 2019, 04:02 PM
Now with the v2 on sale for a more decent (still expensive) €120 and you guy’s videos having so much fun, I decided to get one again. I loved the v1 so much I knew I was going to regret passing up on this one.

My v1 continues to wait for its repair and repaint since 2016.. so much for my fleet reduction programme..

I’m curious about safe select.. also this one will get a lacquer satin finish, airbrushed, for some more durability of hangar rash or belly landings.
Sep 08, 2019, 08:21 PM
Hey all! I just arrived (Maybe came back to, I don't remember LOL) at this thread but have had my old red version MiG for several years now. I finally looked at the new one and see it has a 13,500 kv motor vs the original 11,750 kv. Does the new one have much more power? I alos noticed the part number for the rx/esc unit is different. You can download the original ones manual, and it says it's rated at 4.9 amps. But there is no manual to download for the new one. Anyone know what it's rated for?

So obviously I'm contemplating an upgrade, but first I'm going to try balancing the edf in it now. I never did it yet and saw someone posted a how-to here. But I'm still curious as to the performance and numbers.
Sep 13, 2019, 07:26 PM
They call me Lipo...

Discretion - the better part of valor...

So I went to fly the little MiGlet at a new flying site for me, and WOAH !!!

Just a wee bit too windy for the MiG... :
E-flite UMX MiG-15 EDF - Too windy for the MiGlet 😮! (4 min 19 sec)

Thought it a wise idea just to get her down in one piece so she can live to fly another day...

Enjoy !
Sep 15, 2019, 11:50 AM
So I disassembled my Miglet v1 to try to balance the fan and do other maintenance. One thing I had to do was replace the horizontal stabs. The vertical stab was fine, so I just cut out the h-stabs along with the carbon fiber rods I tried to stiffen them with. While installing the new ones though, I managed to bend one of them again to where it was now floppy. Those things are so fragile! So I wasn't going to order another tail set and figured what the hey, just do something. I saw the clear plastic packaging for the Deoxit cleaner I use on the servos, and the idea came. I just cut 4 appropriately shaped plastic pieces from the packaging, and CA'ed them to the top and bottom of the stabs, creating a plastic-foam-plastic sandwich. They are now SOLID. I needed weight in the tail anyway, so maybe I'll be able to get rid of the lead added earlier.

The fan balancing, I'm not sure how well that went. Seems a little better, but hard to tell really. I'll see when re-maiden time comes.

Name: 20190914_222600.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 3.10 MB
Description: Name: 20190914_222613.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 3.07 MB
Description:
Sep 15, 2019, 12:01 PM
Do you see what I see?
Looks nice & “clean”, I hear ya as far as fragile, hangar rashed her horizontal stab & I added thin flat stock carbon on both sides so now she’s solid.

Hope all goes well with your re-maiden!

Coconut
Sep 15, 2019, 06:11 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
xmech playing with UMX's again! I guess were all still kids at heart lol.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:14 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k
So I disassembled my Miglet v1 to try to balance the fan and do other maintenance. One thing I had to do was replace the horizontal stabs. The vertical stab was fine, so I just cut out the h-stabs along with the carbon fiber rods I tried to stiffen them with. While installing the new ones though, I managed to bend one of them again to where it was now floppy. Those things are so fragile! So I wasn't going to order another tail set and figured what the hey, just do something. I saw the clear plastic packaging for the Deoxit cleaner I use on the servos, and the idea came. I just cut 4 appropriately shaped plastic pieces from the packaging, and CA'ed them to the top and bottom of the stabs, creating a plastic-foam-plastic sandwich. They are now SOLID. I needed weight in the tail anyway, so maybe I'll be able to get rid of the lead added earlier.

The fan balancing, I'm not sure how well that went. Seems a little better, but hard to tell really. I'll see when re-maiden time comes.

Attachment 12554027 Attachment 12554029
Good that your repairs went well enough! As for rotor balancing, I watch the center hole on the 5-bladed rotor as it spins slowly (lowest throttle). If it shows any elongation (looks oval and not perfectly round) then the rotor still needs more work because it is wobbling on the motor shaft, of course. I like to clock the rotor first, and only when it spins perfectly round will I then take time to balance the blades with tape followed by hole drilling. The sound of the fan becomes rather quiet when the rotor is truly spinning smoothly.

How does my criteria compare to your results?
Sep 18, 2019, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69
xmech playing with UMX's again! I guess were all still kids at heart lol.
Lol! I sold all my other ones, but this one was still here. I figured I need to make it fly or let it go.

Thanks for the balancing tips, CorvetteC5. I haven't put her all back together yet, so I'll check with your method. But I think it'll be hard to keep the clocking straight due to the removal method on the fan. But I agree, clicking is critical. Clocking alone made all the difference in the world on my 80mm E-Flite fans. Then there's the issue of how the back of the fan gets chewed up by the screwdriver in the removal process.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:49 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Pack quality makes a HUGE difference in performance! Here's how my V1 performs with a balanced rotor & a quality, extremely low-sag TP 325 65C BabbelBatt!

UMX MiG 15 sans gear - performance demo (5 min 18 sec)

E-flite UMX MiG 15 - big-air flying & aerobatics (5 min 40 sec)

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9

Quick Reply