Jul 05, 2019, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstanleyfl
$5 for the nose piece and two wingtip protectors.
Use boiling water to help pull out the compressed nose and the plastic guard will fit better.

Gene K
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2019, 09:16 AM
It got away...
Hey folks,

Just wanted to ask some of you for info on the foam and what epoxy/bonding I should use that doesn’t hurt the foam?

Putting the park flyer plastics nose cone and wing tips on the mig before first flight. I’m guessing you bond it somehow to the foam and use an exacto blade to cut the plastic in the center of nose and edge of pieces to make it flush with the plane. I know it’s all self explanatory but I’m new to the foam and also just know one mistake can be detrimental to things so. Appreciate the tips!

-andrew
Jul 17, 2019, 09:43 AM
Michael S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number2
Hey folks,

Just wanted to ask some of you for info on the foam and what epoxy/bonding I should use that doesnít hurt the foam?

Putting the park flyer plastics nose cone and wing tips on the mig before first flight. Iím guessing you bond it somehow to the foam and use an exacto blade to cut the plastic in the center of nose and edge of pieces to make it flush with the plane. I know itís all self explanatory but Iím new to the foam and also just know one mistake can be detrimental to things so. Appreciate the tips!

-andrew
Others may suggest foam safe CA but I used UHU POR. If you ever need to remove them they will release with naptha or Ronsonol lighter fluid. In my experience the CA "debonder" studd will eat the foam.
Jul 17, 2019, 10:48 AM
Iíve just put those on mine, I used a smear of Uhu Por on the underside of the wing tips, waited a few seconds for the solvent to evaporate a bit and pushed the wing tip cuffs on.
The nose protector stays put without gluing, if you push it on firmly, at least then you can remove it again if you need to.
Jul 17, 2019, 10:57 AM
I'd rather be flying!
I also use nothing but UHU Por and Foam-Tac on my foam airplanes. Excellent products! Both make a bond that's as flexible as the original foam - unlike foam-safe CA, which makes a brittle bond. They don't eat foam, and they don't expand like GG does.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jul 17, 2019, 11:58 AM
It got away...
Thanks!! Sorry I think I was busy at work and just typed “thanks.”

Always appreciate the knowledge from savvy flyers!

-Andrew
Last edited by Number2; Jul 17, 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Jul 18, 2019, 04:46 AM
Uhu Por is the best stuff for foam. It dries quickly and stays flexible. You can pull the parts apart if you need to without damaging the foam if necessary. I recently had to pop off the canopy piece on the MiG to lubricate a sticking elevator servo and it came off easily and went back together quickly.
I wouldn't add the extra weight with those plastic pieces when you can paint the nose, wingtips, belly, and leading edges of wings and tail surfaces with Minwax Polycrylic. It'll harden the foam enough to protect it without adding that much weight and wrecking the scale looks. The gloss looks best on the version 2 MiG and the satin looks great on flat paint schemes.
Jul 18, 2019, 06:11 AM
Michael S.
After having a helluva time getting my MiG hand launched I asked Mr. Gurevich to put his best engineers on the problem.

They said I should just cut some holes in the bottom of the fuselage so my MiG would suck better!! Sounded kind of counter intuitive to me to want an airplane to suck more but I gave it a try.

What a difference! If Mr. Gurevich had done this during the Korean war us Russkies would have had the whole peninsula now!

Michael
Jul 18, 2019, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing No
I wouldn't add the extra weight with those plastic pieces when you can paint the nose, wingtips, belly, and leading edges of wings and tail surfaces with Minwax Polycrylic. It'll harden the foam enough to protect it without adding that much weight and wrecking the scale looks.
I think weíll have to agree to differ about the benefits of using the nose protector vs a couple of coats of Minwax.
Jul 18, 2019, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstanleyfl
After having a helluva time getting my MiG hand launched I asked Mr. Gurevich to put his best engineers on the problem.

They said I should just cut some holes in the bottom of the fuselage so my MiG would suck better!! Sounded kind of counter intuitive to me to want an airplane to suck more but I gave it a try.

What a difference! If Mr. Gurevich had done this during the Korean war us Russkies would have had the whole peninsula now!

Michael
LOL! Good idea, glad it worked well for you.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:58 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Hand-launching this MiG in stock form is easy if you're running a decent-quality low-sag pack, have the elevator throw mechanically maxed, and have CG at the neutral-handling point. Just a gentle toss & she moves right out! See below:

UMX MiG 15 sans gear - performance demo (5 min 18 sec)

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jul 19, 2019, 01:17 AM
Yeah and if it's a SAFE enabled model just throttle up and let the thing fly out of your hand.

Was the poster who cut the cheater hole in living at altitude? I imagine these little EDFs are quite sensitive to air density. I cant help but wonder if Mr. Gurevich might have suggested some softer edges and neater incisions on the cheater, but hey, if it works it works lol.
Jul 19, 2019, 08:23 AM
No his location says Florida and nowhere in Florida is high, but I guess heat and humidity could have a similar effect to altitude.
Jul 19, 2019, 10:47 AM
Michael S.
I fly from a wheelchair and I just didn't have enough height AGL to get it to clear the grass when it was stock. With that intake cut it hand launches fine.
Jul 19, 2019, 01:43 PM
It got away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
I think weíll have to agree to differ about the benefits of using the nose protector vs a couple of coats of Minwax.
I used some foam safe
Primer, that statement turned out to be not true!!

The center intake has some slight foam issues now from painting. Donít think itís a
Problem but not ideal.

Quick Reply