Jan 16, 2013, 04:41 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
I only crash mine once per flight. Never more. I find it reckless to crash twice on the same flight without at first inspecting the damage and re-launching. Occassionally I will fly mine without a crash, but only when I'm not trying to learn new ways to crash it.
Oh boy, this is from our contest director

Tony
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2013, 08:11 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Do you have to be very experienced with rc to handle this plane ? And what flight times will I be looking at if I use batteries from a umx beast 3D and carbon cub I think there is something like a 20 mah difference between the mig stock battery and the beasts'.

If you have and fly the Beast and Carbon Cub, this one is going to be easy. Flown intelligently (see previous string of posts above and excluding mine) This is probably one of the easier planes to fly. However, it is an EDF, which means you don't get propwash over your control surfaces, so losing airflow over the wings/tail can be deadly. It also lacks the "punch" you get with a pop plane, so, while it is powerful enough to fly, it takes some time to build up momentum. If you can give an idea of what your experience level is, I could probably answer better. Oh, and by the way, APPARENTLY, yanking up on the elevator is a bad idea. Something about a quick way to re-shape your intake system. On the flight time and battery, I think it comes with a 200 mAh, and you get about 3 minutes. I fly hyperion 240's and get about 3:30-4:00 WOT and a little more when I actually attempt to control myself and fly it like it was designed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Oh boy, this is from our contest director

Tony
Tony - a little clue here - why do you think I'm the contest director? Admittedly, I can't win the contest, but the REAL benefit is I can't lose it either! Its the absolute safest place for me to be with my thumbs, who I affectionately refer to as "Thumb and Thumber."

Jan 16, 2013, 08:12 AM
pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ sɐʍ I ǝsnɐɔǝq
hahahaha
Jan 16, 2013, 08:17 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougherty, Erie
The AS3X can give a false sense of security around the stall speed which can be scary if you roll into a turn.
[...]
I haven't flown the SBach but just ordered the AS3X Spitfire at the LHS today. I have the Champ, Cub, T28, Corsair, Mosquito, 4Site and PlayMate UMX planes in addition to the Mig.
I completely agree on the AS3X masking stalls!!

I noticed you are missing the best two UMX planes ever made from your list: the Sbach and Beast3D! Obviously completely different mission than the Mig. The B3D is almost perfect. The only, and this is small, issue is it is fragile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Here's a challenge that just came to mind. You'd definitely need servo covers... I was thinking that the MiG just might be able to do a touch & go on water if the pilot were to keep the power on, hold the nose up, and keep the wings level.

Joel
Joel, on water it is no longer a touch and go, it is a Crash and Dash!

-Brian
Jan 16, 2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon

Joel, on water it is no longer a touch and go, it is a Crash SPLASHand Dash!

-Brian
Or, more likely, Splash, gurgle, sizzle, drift . . . .
Jan 16, 2013, 09:33 AM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Joel,

The Cap Skully MiG contest.

I'm in!

rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCrcw5L-SI
RC,

That would be Capt. Sully! I'm thinking that a Capt. Sully contest would dramatically increase MiG sales. It's pretty tough to do the last part of a touch & go when your power-to-weight ratio is zero!

Quote:
I completely agree on the AS3X masking stalls!!

Joel, on water it is no longer a touch and go, it is a Crash and Dash!

-Brian
I also agree on the stall thing. It's just like what happens when hovering the Beast or Sbach. When the airflow is no longer sufficient for AS3X to do its thing, the planes instantly transition from flying 'big' to behaving like tiny 2.5 oz foamies with little or no warning.

Crash & Dash - I love it!!

Quote:
Or, more likely, Splash, gurgle, sizzle, drift . . . .
WWU,

Now there's a mental image for ya. Nearly spit up my coffee when I read that! Still laughing!

Joel
Jan 16, 2013, 09:58 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam
..... the MiG is no longer in controlled flight...... It is essentially a projectile, not responding normally to control.
Scooting along as a foamy missile, of irregular shape and very little mass, chaotic things are going to happen very quickly......
I.e., aerodynamics meets chaos theory!

Jan 16, 2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:

Pug, got to give you props - Beerodynamically speeking, that's a pretty plane, Bud! I hear it's weight limit is high due to lower filling. Makes me hoppy just looking at it. Are those floats, or brew skis?
Jan 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
pug, got to give you props - beerodynamically speeking, that's a pretty plane, bud! I hear it's weight limit is high due to lower filling. Makes me hoppy just looking at it. Are those floats, or brew skis?
rolfmao!!!

Jan 16, 2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:

"This is the famous Budweiser beer plane. We know of no planform produced by any other beer can which is inhibited by so little drag coefficient. Our exclusive Beechcraft gauging produces an aircraft sporting a propeller with more blades than you will find in any other beer plane at any price."
Jan 16, 2013, 02:41 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Scooting along as a foamy missile, of irregular shape and very little mass, chaotic things are going to happen very quickly.

Quote:
Pug, got to give you props - Beerodynamically speeking, that's a pretty plane, Bud! I hear it's weight limit is high due to lower filling. Makes me hoppy just looking at it. Are those floats, or brew skis?
This time I did spit up my coffee!

The paint job looks a bit grainy up close, but it's barley noticeable at a distance.

Joel
Jan 16, 2013, 04:14 PM
Whichwaysup I have the beast the champ and the carbon cub. I fly the beast very often it's a ton of fun, I've just started practicing 3D and can hold a reasonable hover KE ect and I havent scratched it yet. As for the carbon cub I haven't flown it as of yet I live in an area prone to glitches and the weather hasn't been ideal where I like to fly. Flight characteristics wise what is it like to fly ? Is it the fastest of the UMX aircraft, is a sports oval enough room for it ? Because it looks like it has a fairly high stall speed. Thanks
Jan 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Whichwaysup I have the beast the champ and the carbon cub. I fly the beast very often it's a ton of fun, I've just started practicing 3D and can hold a reasonable hover KE ect and I havent scratched it yet. As for the carbon cub I haven't flown it as of yet I live in an area prone to glitches and the weather hasn't been ideal where I like to fly. Flight characteristics wise what is it like to fly ? Is it the fastest of the UMX aircraft, is a sports oval enough room for it ? Because it looks like it has a fairly high stall speed. Thanks
I can say that a sports oval is enough room. If you can handle the B3D you can fly the Mig. They fly very differently, however the skill level required is about the same.

The mig doesn't have a high stall speed it just has no post stall flight capabilities like the Beast does. i.e. When the mig stalls it will drop a wing or at best the nose will fall and you'll lose altitude until you gain flying speed again. However the mig actually can fly quite slowly for a edf. Be aware that the stall is sudden so take be sure to test it out up high to get a feel for it.

-Brian
Jan 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks Brian much appreciated
Jan 16, 2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
I can say that a sports oval is enough room. If you can handle the B3D you can fly the Mig. They fly very differently, however the skill level required is about the same.

The mig doesn't have a high stall speed it just has no post stall flight capabilities like the Beast does. i.e. When the mig stalls it will drop a wing or at best the nose will fall and you'll lose altitude until you gain flying speed again. However the mig actually can fly quite slowly for a edf. Be aware that the stall is sudden so take be sure to test it out up high to get a feel for it.

-Brian
+1. If you are flying the Beast, you understand the concept. The biggest difference you'll experience is just the fact that this is an EDF. Fly normally when you maiden it, and then slowly test it's limitations around it's low speed handling (and low speed stall) as well as it's high speed handling (and what I'd say is it's deadly high speed stall). It's an EASY plane to fly until you hit the edge of it's flight envelope, and then you have to remember it's a swept wing EDF in how you react. If things are headed south, the basic rule of thumb is, apply throttle, wait as long as possible to let it get momentum, and then GENTLY (or as gently as altitude allows) react on the sticks.

Every crash I've had has been due to me either a) over using elevator at high speed and spiralling in or b) not anticipating an impending stall when landing and doing a cartwheel.

There was this one time when I was doing an inverted limbo and I landed upside down too, so I guess that gets a third category - c) Me being stupid.

Quick Reply