Jun 29, 2012, 05:17 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Discussion

FMS 1400mm MK9 Spitfire BASH to MK 12

Hi guys

double timing here, doing both my FMS BF-109F bash and here this FMS Spitfire (1400mm) into a clipped wing MK12.

I will be:
Clipping the tips
adding the Griffon Cowl
modifying the LG for more scale retract
proper carb scoop
proper LH underwing oil cooler
near scale Jablo 4 blade prop (spins CCW from cockpit)
new "pointy tip" rudder.
proper looking cannons
Proper "early MK" elevator horn balance
misc "nice" details.
new paint scheme

I WONT be:

making the tailwheel retract (like on MOST MK12's). I will add a scale-like MK5 type free castering tailwheel like EB-H much farther below (thanks Chad!)

Tom
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Apr 22, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2012, 05:18 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP

clip the tips.

Started by clipping the tips. I just cut the foam, sanded, added a ply splice and some balsa to make up the TE of the tip cap. Gesso paint to harden the foam to make it easy to sand and make smoother.
Jun 29, 2012, 05:29 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP

pointy tip rudder constructed

1/8 Balsa core with "blue foam" outsides. sanded to taper at TE.

quick to do, more durable than just foam.
Jun 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP

elevator mod

added 3/32 wire torque rod between elevator halves (not shown) (got rid of foam bridge)
added balsa to LE to strengthen.
Jun 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
I'm subbing just so I can admire your brilliant work Tom
Jun 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc
I'm subbing just so I can admire your brilliant work Tom
Seeing Tom's work, I am proud to also live on Long Island. A priviledge!
Jun 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
2 many planes & 2 little time
I'm subscribed
Jun 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
Scale Builder
Excellent choice of subjects Tom! I love all Marks of the Spit but the Mk.XII and the XV and XVII Seafires are among my most favorite. I will definitely be anticipating your completed model. I am most likely "preaching to the chior" but since some XII's were converted on the production line from Mk.V airframes while others were converted Mk.VIII airframes some of them did retain the fixed tailwheel unit. Spitfire EB-H in the picture below illustrates the fact.

Jun 30, 2012, 05:33 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I am most likely "preaching to the chior" but since some XII's were converted on the production line from Mk.V airframes while others were converted Mk.VIII airframes some of them did retain the fixed tailwheel unit.
Kewl... knew that but had not seen a picture of EB-H. That will be my choice then rather than EB-D or B.

Thanks Chad
Tom
Jun 30, 2012, 09:23 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
paint stripped

I stripped the paint off most of the model this morning (acetone). Here is a pic of it so far.

I also have hinged the elev/rudder and mount the whole tail (permanently).

The cowl has also been mounted, but I still need to add the blister on the top centerline behind the spinner. The MK14 (from which I derived this new cowl) does not have this feature.

Wings have been permamentlty attached with Gorilla glue at the new dihedral. Tube spar was cut at center and a nylon block made with the new dhidral angle in it.

as you can see I am running my BF-109F bash at the same time.
Jun 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
paint stripped

I stripped the paint off most of the model this morning (acetone). Here is a pic of it so far.

I also have hinged the elev/rudder and mount the whole tail (permanently).

The cowl has also been mounted, but I still need to add the blister on the top centerline behind the spinner. The MK14 (from which I derived this new cowl) does not have this feature.

Wings have been permamentlty attached with Gorilla glue at the new dihedral. Tube spar was cut at center and a nylon block made with the new dhidral angle in it.

as you can see I am running my BF-109F bash at the same time.
I hope that, in the last picture, what I see running down off the front of the cocpit hatch is not what it looks like!
Jun 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand
I hope that, in the last picture, what I see running down off the front of the cocpit hatch is not what it looks like!
no, Starbucks a good boy, he only pees in his litter or in the garden where he can kill the hostas!
Jun 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
no, Starbucks a good boy, he only pees in his litter or in the garden where he can kill the hostas!
You raise'em as well as you bash'em!
Jun 30, 2012, 01:14 PM
Scale Builder
How did you make the cowl if I may ask Tom? In that second pic it looks 3d printed! The whole things looks spectacular as usual and is sure to be an attention grabber when finished.
Jun 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
3d printed!
Yup, I have axcess to one for barting engineering for parts in my spare time.

Quick Reply