Oct 23, 2019, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodMagnet
The washout is mentioned a number of times, but I want to make sure I am clear on the direction of the washout. It makes sense to lower the incidence angle to prevent stalling, but I want to make sure I understand the impact on the B2. To confirm, the outboard trailing edge (looking forward) is ramped UP 3/4" (red arrows). Yes?
Sorry for such a basic question - but it is the kind of thing I will get wrong. Thanks.
Yes, you have it correct.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2019, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Confirmed, that is what my outer wing panels had.
Oct 27, 2019, 10:26 AM
In the video above I could see on the first the left turn after takeoff the nose staying off to the right...it didn't want to yaw but with no vertical tail it's no surprise. I wonder if they used some "drag rudder"? to help it yaw.
Nov 04, 2019, 10:50 AM

Flat top - bottom

OK, so it took me a while to figure out "flat top", but once you see it, you cannot un-see it. It makes total sense (thanks again PeterF!). Note to new builders taking this on - the best way to see is looking at Peter's work and then pictures of finished B2's on 1st page.

But now, looking at mine on the bench, I am considering tearing into the bottom to prevent flat-bottom and make the mid-sections a little more sloped. PeterF - any regrets not doing this? I am a bit worried about flight characteristics but not space.
Nov 04, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
I have no regrets about leaving the flat bottom on the model, it is very hard to see it unless you really look for it and it can not be noticed at a distance. The flat top however just looks plain wrong even from a reasonable distance.
Dec 22, 2019, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF
I have no regrets about leaving the flat bottom on the model, it is very hard to see it unless you really look for it and it can not be noticed at a distance. The flat top however just looks plain wrong even from a reasonable distance.
Understood. Perhaps might regret, but trying to soften the bottom sled a little bit. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the help so far.
Last edited by FoodMagnet; Dec 22, 2019 at 09:58 AM.
Dec 25, 2019, 12:05 PM

Sometimes....

You need the right tool.
Jan 06, 2020, 10:55 AM

Outboard.

No way could have made it to this point without PeterFs guide. For the wings, it was hard for me to understand the inverted washout. The trick is making the root rib horizontal, the whole thing is lifted making the centerline 1 above surface. Don't pin any spars down, even at the root. Went quickly after that due to PeterF.
Last edited by FoodMagnet; Jan 19, 2020 at 02:59 PM.
Jan 06, 2020, 01:36 PM
Another one bites the Dust
Looking good.. keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Jan 18, 2020, 03:35 PM
Tomorrow I'll procrastinate
PeterF: great thread, which came to my attention because of the new posts, otherwise I'd probably have missed it. I was very interested in all the details, because I've got this plan set in my stash. Thanks for so much detail.

Unless I missed a successful flight report somewhere, it sounds like this plane is near impossible to fly?? If I build it, do I have to accept that it's just going to be a hangar queen? Thanks.
Jan 18, 2020, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
The plane as originally designed appeared to fly and was reported as doing so. However, there are several of us who have tried to modify it and ended up with something that was less stable than the original. My mods have ended up with the fans mounted low and the exhaust flows up a ramp meaning that the exhaust gives the plane a very strong nose up effect at high thrust, but this disappears at low thrust. This gave the plane a tendency to take off before it was really ready to, making it hard to control and then when throttle was changed, it ended up with a severe nose down tendency. I tried a gyro, but this could not handle the excessive lift at take off. I am wiser now and perhaps if I restarted and avoided the mods I have done I could get something flyable and more scale like than the original plan. However, for the moment I am not sure if I will invest any further time in it.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:09 PM
Tomorrow I'll procrastinate
Appreciate the detailed reply, thank you

Quick Reply