Nov 10, 2003, 10:40 PM
Thread OP

New Vortex 3D and Edge 540 depron kits

Hello to all,

I had a really great time during the construction threads of my flat plate foamies, the Trident, and then the Foamtana here on RCGroups. I know it's been a while since I actively posted here, but I have not been sitting idle. I now have a kitting operation going and the first ones off the line are the new Vortex 3D and, of course, the venerable Edge 540. You can see them at my new website www.flatfoam.com . Here are links to some videos: Vortex 3D video - it was blowing 10 to 15 mph during most of the Vortex video, but the plane handled it well. Also, Edge 540 video - this was about a month ago during THE maiden flight of the Edge. There are more videos and photos on the website, and more to come soon.

continued......

Derek
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2003, 10:45 PM
Thread OP

Vortex 3D kit

VORTEX 3D:
I've made numerous iterations on the design and layout of flat plate airplanes which has finally converged into what is now the Vortex 3D. The handling character is very sweet and it has no bad tendencies. It performs all maneuvers very well, but the best is hovering. I've been told by several Giant Scale pilots that it handles very similar to the big planes. I know that's saying a lot for a little foamie, and I don't fly the Giant Scale planes, so I just have to take their word for it. The Edge has a different, more snappy character and is a bit more to handle, but hey, that's what makes it an Edge.

The Vortex 3D and Edge will only be available in kit form. No plans will be released. I hope the free plans of the Trident and Foamtana that I provided were worthy enough contributions to everyone's fun and enjoyment. I hope some of you give the kits a try.

Derek

VORTEX 3D
Nov 10, 2003, 10:50 PM
Thread OP

Edge 540

EDGE 540:

The Edge 540 is one of everybody's favorites, so I just had to do that one. At first, I made some that were true scaled down versions of the larger Giant Scale gassers. By they did not fly very well as a flat plate foamie. I kept experimenting with some subtle and not so subtle changes to improve the performance, yet keep the genuine look of an Edge. Finally I hit on a combination that's sweet and smooth. Hover is super stable and this baby is snappy and quick. It's a little harder to handle in high winds than the Vortex 3D, but you can't have everything. As a final touch, I added the side profiles to the fuselage for a "fuller" look.

Derek

EDGE 540
Last edited by DerekB; Nov 10, 2003 at 11:03 PM.
Nov 10, 2003, 11:45 PM
AV8
Oh My GAWD, I wondered who the brains were behind this web site! Looks like some winners.

KsFlyer
Nov 10, 2003, 11:52 PM

cool......

OK...OK.... I will take a dozen of each..... huh... only kidding but very nice. Nice job Derek...........
Nov 11, 2003, 12:55 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the nice compliments guys. We had our first official "booth" at a fly-in last weekend. I was a blast. It was a relatively small event, but there was great interest and sold a number of kits.

Derek
Nov 11, 2003, 09:18 AM
Thread OP

CG location.

Wow, we got a burst of orders. Thanks!! The Vortex 3D's are ready to ship, so they should go out tomorrow. We are doing a new kit run for the Edge on Thursday, so they should ship by this weekend.

If you have questions about construction or painting, etc., please post them here. I tried my best at the manual, but I am so familiar with these planes, that I might have overlooked some things.

One thing is CG location. It is right over the spar in the wing. Make sure your radio gear is mounted so the plane balances on the spar without the battery. Then just velcro the battery to the side of the fuselage, right under the wing spar. As you get more used to the plane, move the battery back 1/4" to 1/2" for better aerobatics and hovering. So make sure there is enough room between the aileron servo and the battery to do this. It's a close arrangement. My aileron pushrods almost contact the back of the battery. The photos in the manual show the radio installation pretty clearly.

just ask if you need any more info.

Derek
Last edited by DerekB; Nov 11, 2003 at 10:18 AM.
Nov 11, 2003, 10:30 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Derek

Did you go with CF tube or the CF I-beam on the construction?
Nov 11, 2003, 11:06 AM
Thread OP

Tubes

Although the I-beam is stiffer and lighter, it is more difficult to install. After I tried the tubes for a while, the extra hassle of the I-beam was not worth it. The tubes provide plenty of stiffness, are more crashworthy and much easier to install. The slight weight penalty is not an issue anymore with the LiPoly batteries now available.

The kits come with the carbon tubes, and the fuselage and wing are pre-routed to accept the tubes. The build time is pretty quick. All the parts are pre-cut and the hinges are pre-beveled. I took a kit last week and had it ready to fly in about 6 hours.

Derek
Nov 11, 2003, 11:18 AM
MKH
MKH
Derek, I emailed you at your site contact address, but it may be more appropriate here. I'm interested in running a foam flat-plate ship like yours, but on 2 cells and a high kv geared 010 or Razor. I can get about 16-18 oz thrust at around 7 amps with a 13x6.5 prop. Assuming that extended hovering is not a prerequisite, which it isn't for me, how would the aerobatics be on 2 cells with good thrust and a pitchspeed of about 20-23 mph? Mine would be more of an aerobatic parkflyer than a pure 3D ship. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Marcus
Nov 11, 2003, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Marcus,
That sounds like a good setup to me. But I don't have any brushless motors, so hopefully others can comment. As I understand, the Razor fits in the GWS gearbox, so it would be plug and play. We have tried the 13x6.5 prop on the GWS 350C with "D" gear and it works great too. Your setup should definitely hover all you want. But, like I said, I never tried the brushless stuff yet. I'm just having too much fun with the 350C.

One thing about human nature - I'm guessing that if you end up with a plane that CAN hover, you will be tempted to try it. Once you get it figured out, you'll never look back.

Derek
Nov 11, 2003, 01:50 PM
T A C
Are you going to the AMA convention/show in January (Ontario CA.)? Regards
Nov 11, 2003, 02:25 PM
Which way is up?
Vortex 3D

Saw it fly at fun fly meet mentioned above. My buddy who was also at the meet ( a confirmed slimer driver) saw this plane in the wind. We're now getting a pair of them to get in on the fun also.

We've got 350c setups and 2s lipos coming also. Looking forward to some flying close to home.

Jim
Nov 11, 2003, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by zzonie77
Are you going to the AMA convention/show in January (Ontario CA.)? Regards
Sorry, we won't have a chance to go to that one.

Derek
Nov 11, 2003, 11:19 PM
Thread OP

More photos

I'm short on photos of the new planes. Me of all people. I'll make up for it this weekend. Here's a shot of another paint scheme on the Edge 540. This was at an all electric fly-in last weekend. The flat plate foamies drew a lot of attention.

I might have missed somebody, but we were pretty much the ONLY ones actually performing 3D. Others had some 3D capable planes, but it looked like they were not ready to risk their balsa airplanes yet. It was blowing 10-15 mph, so that may have have been a factor.

Derek

Quick Reply