cogito ergo zoom
Thanks kindly Pete!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2019, 02:22 PM
Sherman Knight
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
Getting a bit deep for me now, we may need Duworm to chime in with some authoritative advice - but not knowing won't stop me from having a go!
Again you can use Absolute Travel to limit flap movement at the extreme. You could also try using Combo for the Switch on the snap flap mix - it should show as a switch option in the mix screen, near the end of the list I think. That takes you to a screen where you choose two switches and whether you need one Or the other or both (And) for the mix to work. If you choose as the second switch whatever is driving your flaps (Throttle stick?) you can then use the Analog Switch function to set where in the throw it gets turned on and off.
Some fiddle and learn to be done, have fun! (and copy/save the model memory before you fiddle!)
Cheers,
Pete
Sorry for the late response, been busy with the iX12 and a couple of new sailplanes.

Flight Modes can fix the issue about not over driving the flaps when snap flaps are active. I noticed that the person that started this thread indicated that a landing configuration is setup for three different flight modes. IN the old JR 9303 / 9305, we would set up a landing configuration for each flight mode in case we forgot to flip the landing mode switch. It sucks when you forgot.

You can set up the flap stick to automatically toggle landing mode, something not available on JR and one of the reasons I switched to Spektrum years ago. Each stick (analog) has three Kick Points that in addition to moving a control surface, at the same time allow the stick to also act as a switch. Use this feature to automatically toggle landing mode. That way, you don't have to worry about forgetting, just pull the flap stick. In addition, this frees up the ability to change camber with the slider in the remaining flight modes in Camber System.

1. Build your flight modes in system setup >Flight Mode Setup.
2. Sets Trims (system setup > Trims) to Flight Mode so you can trim elevator for each flight mode.
3. Enter the Elevator to flap mix in Function List > mixes. .
4. Select Flight Modes as the switch. In the flight mode selection mixes, make sure landing mode is deselected and all where you want Snap flaps are selected (darkened) Note you can set a different amount of snap flaps for each flight mode. Just toggle the flight mode switch to each different flight mode so you can make changes for each flight mode. Thermal mode with a drooped trailing edge may not need as much snap flaps as a cruise mode.
5. Now Snap Flaps are turned off in landing mode where they are not necessary any way.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I dont check the thread much any more. After switching to the iX12, I haven't had the time.

Sherman Knight
Red Sailplane
Team Horizon Hobby Sailplane
Last edited by duworm; Jul 05, 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Jul 26, 2019, 12:24 PM
My Black DX9 started to make sound like it is scrolling thru the menu. I was planning to go to the Nats but if the radio is not trusted. I guess I need to send it back in to get it checked.
Jul 26, 2019, 03:00 PM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1104
My Black DX9 started to make sound like it is scrolling thru the menu. I was planning to go to the Nats but if the radio is not trusted. I guess I need to send it back in to get it checked.
Try to adjust the volume on the speaker
Jul 26, 2019, 03:06 PM
You mean the radio has a problem with the volume control?
Jul 26, 2019, 08:46 PM
OK! From looking at U Tube the problem is a software problem and is connected with the sliders on the back and the knob on top. If they are centered then the radio makes an annoying noise. Move the sliders and the knob off of center and it goes away. The setting of the volume control some how is connected with the problem as I could turn the volume down and the frequency of the noise changes. Has this sw problem been fixed in later sw releases?

I've been using this radio since Black DX9's came out. I had centered all knobs this morning as the set up I'm using on my new glider came from another glider. I was checking to see if I had a control surface movement when I changed the sliders and knob. I had in the past use the sliders to trim when riding a thermal but this one did not use them so I centered them. Then my noise problem came about. I had turned the volume up to hear over glow emgines running around me. That's when the problem came about. So turning the volume down or not centering the sliders and knob fix the problem. I went home and missed a good flying day and still do not have my new glider where it is close to trim.

Art
Dec 02, 2019, 05:28 PM
Time to play!
Hi,
I'm having difficulty programming a 6 servo (plus motor) sailplane on my DX8 gen2. Are there any setup files or templates I can download here on RCG that will I can use as a starting point?
Thanks,
Mike
Dec 02, 2019, 08:09 PM
It's pretty easy, what features are you after?

Or just buy a product from Sherman (duworm) at Redsailplane
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Dec 02, 2019 at 08:44 PM.
Dec 02, 2019, 09:23 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Or just buy a product from Sherman (duworm) at Redsailplane
The manual alone is worth the price. A great way to learn good programming techniques.

-= Dave
Dec 03, 2019, 02:09 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj0rHav0c
Hi,
I'm having difficulty programming a 6 servo (plus motor) sailplane on my DX8 gen2. Are there any setup files or templates I can download here on RCG that will I can use as a starting point?
Thanks,
Mike

Try my easy set up list

Program DX G2
1. Select plane type: Chose always glider type if you want to use spoilerons or flaps. Use motorplane if it is a flying Wing.
2. Select wing type. Activate motor if it is a motor plane or motor glider.
3. Trim set up: set to FL mode
4. F mode, Activate switch 1, 2, 3, for flaps on motorplane, maybe more if you want to use more than 3 flight modes on a glider.
5. Put in the servo plugs in the receiver. Use the monitor to see this.. It can change for each wing type
6. Servo set up: Set the right directions and sub trim the servos.
7. Set the travel for the servos
8. Ailerons differential, not too much because this can be a problem when using spoilerons and flaps
9. Dual rate and expo, 50% on ailerons and 40% on elevator and rudder is a good start.
10. Camber preset: Motor plane/Glider, here you adjust: Motor plane: Flaps up/ take off flaps/ landing flaps and elevator compensation and how fast the flaps move. Glider:Flight modes as Thermal /cruise/speed and how fast it changes
11. Camber system: Glider, here you adjust landing flaps/ crow brake and which switch or stick you will use for it. (In crow brake not more up aileron when using the crowbrake that when using the ailerons the aileron that going down must go down to neutral, in this way you still have good aileron control.
12. MIX: Flaps- elevator, here you adjust the elevator compensation when using the landing flaps (Camber system) and adjust the offset so that the elevator start moving when the flaps is moving when using the throttle stick to control it. 2 mm down elevator when using the flaps is a good starting point.
13. Mix: Ailerons- flaps, here you adjust all span ailerons
14. Elevator- flaps, here you adjust the Aileron –rudder, here you adjust snap flaps
15. Aileron –rudder, here you adjust as described
16. Set up the spoken Flight modes and switch change sounds
17. Set up telemetry in auto config.
18. Motor planes with flaps: you can go to elevator dual rate and set the switch to flt mode/ flaps switch and then set it so you still have full up elevator movement, when using the flaps and have set down elevator compensation, in this way you still have enough up elevator to pull up in the landing when using the flaps
19. Set the timer
20. If you program a flying wing with 4 flap wing, then set it up as a glider with 2 ailerons and V tail. Outer flaps are ailerons and inner flaps is the elevator/rudder
Then a mix: Aileron- rudder, to get the elevators to go as ailerons.
Then a mix: elevator- L aileron, to get the ailerons to go as elevator. And then set the Dual rate for the rudder to % to disable the rudder stick.
At camber system you adjust the aileron up in Crowbrake and after this preset Mix: Flap – elevator, here you set the elevator down in the Crow, after this you go to camber system and just the offset so that both aileron and elevator start to move at the same time when using the throttle stick.
If it is a 4 flap flying wing you can set the crow brake on a switch and set it up in flight mode in the Camber preset.

Good luck
Last edited by SpeedsterDEN; Dec 03, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
Dec 03, 2019, 12:07 PM
Time to play!
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the help!
Your easy setup list definitely helps and, I'll look at Red Sailplane.
I purchased this plane from another user here who said it was ready to fly. However, I found a few of the servos were in the wrong slots on the rx! That's what was throwing me off. I now have all channels working properly and I'll start with some mixing, camber, etc.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN

Try my easy set up list

Program DX G2
1. Select plane type: Chose always glider type if you want to use spoilerons or flaps. Use motorplane if it is a flying Wing.
2. Select wing type. Activate motor if it is a motor plane or motor glider.
3. Trim set up: set to FL mode
4. F mode, Activate switch 1, 2, 3, for flaps on motorplane, maybe more if you want to use more than 3 flight modes on a glider.
5. ...........................

Good luck
Dec 03, 2019, 12:17 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the help!
Your easy setup list definitely helps and, I'll look at Red Sailplane.
I purchased this plane from another user here who said it was ready to fly. However, I found a few of the servos were in the wrong slots on the rx! That's what was throwing me off. I now have all channels working properly and I'll start with some mixing, camber, etc.

Mike
After you set up the model type and wing type in your radio it automatically assigns channels to specific ports on the Rx. Go into the System Menu, scroll down to the "Channel Assign" item and click. That screen will tell you what servo/item(in lower case) it expects to be plugged into which port on the Rx (IN UPPER CASE). It may be that the previous owner actually had things plugged into the right slots on the Rx for that specific aircraft, even though it looked wrong to you. If you follow the built-in convention you may avoid a lot of programming headaches and confusion...
Dec 03, 2019, 12:22 PM
Time to play!
Good point. However, wouldn't I need to program my tx to the exact way the previous tx was set?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea
After you set up the model type and wing type in your radio it automatically assigns channels to specific ports on the Rx. Go into the System Menu, scroll down to the "Channel Assign" item and click. That screen will tell you what servo/item(in lower case) it expects to be plugged into which port on the Rx (IN UPPER CASE). It may be that the previous owner actually had things plugged into the right slots on the Rx for that specific aircraft, even though it looked wrong to you. If you follow the built-in convention you may avoid a lot of programming headaches and confusion...
Dec 03, 2019, 12:27 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Good point. However, wouldn't I need to program my tx to the exact way the previous tx was set?

Mike
Your life might be simplest if you could get the previous owner to share their SPM file with you (assuming they were also using Spektrum). Short of that, start with the basics of what wing type, tail type, etc. your aircraft has and then go from there. As others have said, Sherman's books are worth it simply for general knowledge much less for the specifics to any particular aircraft. Horizon/Spektrum does many things well and have some people here on RCG who do yeoman's work in terms of supporting their products, but to date they have put basically zero effort into meaningful documentation relative to their transmitters and how to take best advantage of the powerful features available.
Dec 26, 2019, 11:44 PM
I have a ar9320T receiver. Every time the receiver goes to the satellite I loose telemetry. It seems the satellite picks up half the time. When a fly such that the satellite antenna is blocked I get telemetry. I have the main antenna out as far as I can get them. The lemon antenna are short so I tried setting the antenna the same as the lemon antenna were.

I tried to set up with out the satellite and it would not work. I had a set up with a lemon receiver before I went to a 6 servo wing. So have decided try and set up with a satellite set to where it would not pick up anything. I never lost connection with the lemon set up which did not have a satellite. So will I have trouble with the ar9320T if the satellite does not pick up a usable signal inside a carbon fuselage?

Art

Quick Reply