Charging 2 batteries on a PL6 vs a duo charger (Hyperion or TP charger). - RC Groups
Jun 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
Discussion

Charging 2 batteries on a PL6 vs a duo charger (Hyperion or TP charger).

I was all set to get either the hyperion or TP charger and then discovered the PL6. If I want to charge two batteries at once (say 2 6s 5000 packs) that are not exactly at the same starting voltage is that possible? I am trying to wrap my head around the advantages of a PL6 over a dual charger. Or would I need 2 PL6ís to have the same functionality of a dual charger?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Suspended Account
Hi, Nick-I'm going to confuse it further for you!

I use two PL-8's, each fitted with an MPA board, which allows me to charge 6 various capacity 3s batteries on one "channel" and 6 various capacity 2s batteries on the other "as if" a "duo" charger; however, if I hose one charger by negligence, or one fails, I still have a fully functioning charger while the other is being repaired.

So, if you want to simultaneously charge 2, 3, 4 or whatever cell batteries, you can use two PL-6's in the Primary/expansion mode, each fitted with an MPA (or not), and rest assured you will never be without a charger (it is far more than a mere charger).

Neither Hyperion nor TP "repair" their devices, so keep that in mind, too.

Check out the MPA board from FMA and primary/expansion use.
Jun 25, 2012, 11:09 AM
cool... now what about if your batteries are at different starting voltages. Like say I want to charge 2 4s 5000 mha batts and one is at 3.75v per cell and one is at 3.95 per cell? Is this possible with one PL6? For now I am ok with charging one battery at a time. But buy next year I will have the need to charge two 5s 4400 packs at the same time. My thinking is I can get one PL6 now then get a second one when it's needed.

Thanks!
Jun 25, 2012, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee
cool... now what about if your batteries are at different starting voltages. Like say I want to charge 2 4s 5000 mha batts and one is at 3.75v per cell and one is at 3.95 per cell? Is this possible with one PL6? For now I am ok with charging one battery at a time. But buy next year I will have the need to charge two 5s 4400 packs at the same time. My thinking is I can get one PL6 now then get a second one when it's needed.

Thanks!
Inverse order: or, why not one PL-6 and one MPA?

That variance is nothing: there is a rule of thumb, as I recall, and maybe someone can comment. I routinely parallel charge with that variance or more, and with cells that can take 3 to 5 C charges, that's chicken doodle!
Jun 25, 2012, 11:23 AM
If you connect the pack via the main discharge connectors prior to the balance connectors, .2 volts per cell differential should pose no issue. I have long recommended .1V/cell to keep current flow under control. Anything greater than this should be tested with a wattmeter.

Mark