Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by The_Builder, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by The_Builder
God Created me to Create
Build Log

The Epee

The Epee is a high performance 1M DLG. I have done everything I can to make assembly as simple as possible.

In order to build your plane you will need;

epoxy, (30 min will work just fine)
Micro balloons, baby powder, or similar filler
Foam Safe CA
straight edge
hobby knife with new blade
tool to drill small hole
power drill or drill press
needle nose pliers
masking tape

The first step is to join the wing halves. Put the wing top down on your bench and tape the two halves together with a couple strips of masking tape running opposite the root and one strip right on the root. Now close the the wing "book" so the bottoms of the wing halves are against each other. Fill the hard point cavities with a mix of epoxy and cabosil or baby powder. Place one wing down on the bench and carefully weigh it down to the bench. Lift the other wing tip up off the bench 110-115mm. That will result in approximately a 6 deg dihedral. This is where I fly my plane, and it seems to be ideal.

When the epoxy has hardened you will want to wrap this joint with fiberglass and then wet it out with thinned epoxy or foam safe CA. I prefer to stick some fiberglass to wax paper using a mist of 3M77 and then cut the wax paper and glass into .75" wide strips. You will need two strips. Mist one of the strips on the glass side with the 3M and apply it to the wing joint. Carefully peel the wax paper and wet it out. when it is dry flip the wing over and do the same to the other side. When both are done trim the trailing edge and and clean up the leading edge with fine sandpaper. !Oh, the fibers of the fabric should run with the wing joint and 90deg to it.!!

Now that the wing is joined you can drill it for your wing posts. I suggest drilling from the top of the wing, this way if you are off slightly in angle as you drill the wing will still be pulled precisely in to the fuse. The first hole is drilled at .5" from the leading edge and the second at 3"" from the leading edge. It helps to drill a small pilot hole first and then you can adjust slightly, if needed, as you work up to the final size.

Once you have the wing drilled you can tape the wing to the fuse and mark the holes for the posts. I use double sided tape or masking tape folded over to tape the wing in place. Once I have it where I want it I take the little drill bit I used and mark my hole locations for the posts.

I strongly suggest you mount your tails in the following order. Mount the horizontal first and the vertical second. The stab goes on the on the bottom of the boom. This is how we tested it and it seems to fly very well set up like this.

Mounting the Horizontal stab: You should find two circles scribed on the center line near the leading edge. Remove the foam in the circles with a small flat screw driver. Pour a slurry of epoxy and micro balloons to make your hard points into the two cavities. When the hard points are cured simply drill a clearance hole for the 4-40 screws at the pin marks.

The stab is mounted crown side down !!

To mount the stab it helps to slide the vertical on the boom and put a piece of tape where the leading edge stops on the boom. Make two slits in the vertical from the leading edge to the spar cap. They should be .375" apart. This is so you know where to mount the horizontal. The trailing edge of the horizontal should be just in front of this reference point. You will now want a flat surface like a kitchen table. Place 4 glasses, blocks of wood or what ever you have, of the same height on the table. Set your wing on two of these blocks so that the boom will push down on the stab pylon and the wing is level. Put a drop of CA in the middle of the pylon and set the stab on the two other blocks so the boom contacts the pylon in the correct location. Let the boom drop onto the pylon while making sure the stab is square to the boom. Let the CA cure for a few minutes and then let CA wick under the pylon from the sides. For extra insurance you could do a wrap of light glass from the side of the pylon around the boom and onto the other side of the pylon and wet it out with CA. Very often this is not necessary.

Mounting the Vertical: Slip it on the boom and use foam safe CA to tack it to the boom. The crowned side goes towards the throwing blade or the wing where it will go. Now you will want to cut a strip of glass that is .75" wide by 3" long. mist it with spray adhesive and then cut it so you have two pieces .75" by 1.5". You need to place these on either side of the vertical so they lay on the vertical, over the boom and back onto the vertical. Once they are on I wet them out with foam safe CA. You could also use thinned epoxy.
Last edited by The_Builder; Oct 17, 2016 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts