Feb 07, 2019, 09:09 PM

Eluna 1.5M

10 oz/ft2 is not a floater. A good DLG 1.5M is 4oz/ft2!
We need a good light weight 2M, something like the F3-RES models.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2019, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
Calypso replacement? Not quite 2 meters and no flaps but similar specs. $99 with free receiver!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/eluna-1...er-p-flza3075c
I grabbed one, figured $80 plane w/ $20 receiver not a bad deal. You can see the Calypso genes in it but it's not the same. Haven't flown it yet, the elevator and rudder hinges are way too stiff and cause the pushrod to flex so much I hardly have any up elevator. Probably end up cutting the foam hinges and just tape them.

Reading the past few posts confirm my thoughts, that the Calypso has been discontinued. The good news it I have 1 in flying shape and one that can be used for parts or fixed back up and keep it flying too. The Calypso was the 2nd plane I had because I wanted something that would fly longer than 5 min so I could build up stick time. It's been a great plane and love pulling it out for a relaxing day.
Jul 03, 2019, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sad that they went and discontinued a perfectly good plane.. Mine is still going strong after a few years of flight:
Calypso at Carlyle lake (15 min 41 sec)
Jul 15, 2019, 08:44 PM
I maidened my newly acquired Calypso yesterday, previous owner had one good crash and it was put in storage! Anyway, wounds are healed and CG got sorted, and it leapt aloft like a home sick Eagle! Good design Flyzone! ;]
Jul 16, 2019, 05:29 PM
Murphy was an optimist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncookedlentil
I maidened my newly acquired Calypso yesterday, previous owner had one good crash and it was put in storage! Anyway, wounds are healed and CG got sorted, and it leapt aloft like a home sick Eagle! Good design Flyzone! ;]
Excellent! The Calypso is a great glider. Mine is 4ish years old and I take it to the field frequently, flying it when good thermals are likely. Before the FAA clamped down on RC, I was able to thermal to a telemetered altitude of 1742 ft. The vario indicated I could have kept climbing but the glider was just about invisible...
It's really sad it went OOP.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:37 PM
I didn't get the manual with it, so just did a little math and experience, and set the CG just behind the spar. I was shocked to see it struggling like a baby with a diaper in need of changing. Ended up with cg just in front of the spar and all was gorgeous! ;] I threw in 50% differential and a little rudder/aileron mixing and she's hands free.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:48 PM
MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbbo
Excellent! The Calypso is a great glider. Mine is 4ish years old and I take it to the field frequently, flying it when good thermals are likely. Before the FAA clamped down on RC, I was able to thermal to a telemetered altitude of 1742 ft. The vario indicated I could have kept climbing but the glider was just about invisible...
It's really sad it went OOP.
If you are flying at a sanctioned R/C club field, there is no ceiling limit (e.g., 400 ft) for planes. At our club we have guys soar to 2300+ ft with 3m and 4m gliders.
Jul 16, 2019, 10:57 PM
Murphy was an optimist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
If you are flying at a sanctioned R/C club field, there is no ceiling limit (e.g., 400 ft) for planes. At our club we have guys soar to 2300+ ft with 3m and 4m gliders.
True, depending on the distance from an airport and/or the location of controlled airspace.
Jul 17, 2019, 06:15 AM
MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbbo
True, depending on the distance from an airport and/or the location of controlled airspace.
True that! Within 5 miles of an airport and you need to operate under special rules.
Jul 18, 2019, 10:52 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
I recently acquired a used Calypso from a member here on RC Groups and I absolutely love it!

It is just as easy to fly as my old Radian. I mounted some velcro on the top of the canopy so I could mount a runcam and take some video. Here's one I shot recently at the new flying club I just joined in NJ

Calyspo Flight 07 04 2019 (4 min 57 sec)
Jul 19, 2019, 08:39 PM
Looks like you got a pretty good deal!
Jul 20, 2019, 04:05 AM
Quote:
I didn't get the manual with it, so just did a little math and experience, and set the CG just behind the spar. I was shocked to see it struggling like a baby with a diaper in need of changing. Ended up with cg just in front of the spar and all was gorgeous! ;] I threw in 50% differential and a little rudder/aileron mixing and she's hands free.
How much mm from leading edge? I fly mine with 72mm from LE.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:14 PM
Murphy was an optimist!
Quote:
Looks like you found the answer!
Pic from the manual. Mine balances on the green dot.
Jul 21, 2019, 09:53 AM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
Anyone wing mount their cams? I mounted a RunCam 2 on the leading edge of the left wing and a counterweight on the other wing to balance her out. I get no prop or fuse in the shot and it is pretty stable.

Calypso Morning Flight (7 min 18 sec)
Jul 21, 2019, 11:24 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
I like your idea a heck of a lot better than what I'm doing! I mounted my Runcam on the canopy and edit the parts where the prop is spinning out of the video. I'm giving mounting the camera on the wing a shot as soon as I can.

Thanks for the inspiration

Edit to add: I experimented with mounting the Runcam out on the wing today. I cobbled together a counter weight and it wasn't close enough. In fact it flew terribly. When I got back home I weighed the Runcam and found it was 51g. I rooted through my shop and found a piece of brass that weighed almost that. After adding a piece of tongue depressor, some orange colored duck (that's the name brand!) tape and some velcro it's dead on. One thing I did learn from this experiment was to place it further outboard. I was still getting a bit of the prop in the field of view
Last edited by Blacky's Boy; Jul 21, 2019 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply