Dec 12, 2016, 06:52 PM
The Turnigy 4000mah seems to be working perfectly. You can't tell from picture but I reinforced the plane with gorilla clear tape. The elevato, rudder and whole fuselage are covered. That gave it enough extra weight in the rear so I didn't have to add any extra weight. It doesn't like wind over 20 miles per hour at 9000ft. But at my usual 6000ft it works great! I get 17 minutes of flight time consistently. I also fpv a sonic 185 and it's alot slippery in the air (only 7 minutes of flight time on a 2200mah.)
Last edited by WyoRip; Dec 12, 2016 at 07:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2016, 07:00 PM
MK
MK
You took the Calypso up to 9,000 ft???
Dec 12, 2016, 07:34 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
You took the Calypso up to 9,000 ft???
Given the username, I'd suspect he's flying from sites where ground level is in the 6-9,000' range
Dec 12, 2016, 08:59 PM
MK
MK
Ah!!!! That's numbers are not AGL. Phew!
Dec 17, 2016, 07:50 AM
MK
MK
Another crazy Tower sale on the Rx-R version. $130, free shipping. And if you are a Tower Club member, you can knock that down to $114 delivered!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW2821&P=1
Dec 18, 2016, 05:16 PM
Murphy was an optimist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
Another crazy Tower sale on the Rx-R version. $130, free shipping. And if you are a Tower Club member, you can knock that down to $114 delivered!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW2821&P=1
If I didn't have a flying Calypso and parts left over from an unscheduled ground collision (and three other non-Calypso gliders) I'd be all over that!
Jan 16, 2017, 10:08 PM
Sailplane Mafia
A member in my club just got a Calypso. He wants to get some spare batteries. Is the 1300 enough for this glider or would a 1500-2200 be better? Is it tail heavy?
Jan 16, 2017, 10:38 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring
A member in my club just got a Calypso. He wants to get some spare batteries. Is the 1300 enough for this glider or would a 1500-2200 be better? Is it tail heavy?
1300 is the idea battery for this bird. 2200 will work, but turns out to be a bit nose heavy.
Jan 17, 2017, 01:01 AM
Murphy was an optimist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring
For my Calypso, a lighter battery is better. After flying it with 1800 and 2200 batteries, I installed a variometer and TM1000 unit with a 1300 battery and needed a bit of tail weight to get the CG right...
Jan 17, 2017, 04:48 AM
I fly my Hype Relax II ( Calypso in Europe), with 5g on tail with both 1300mAh and 1500mAh 3S battery.
Jan 17, 2017, 09:04 AM
MK
MK
1300 for me and no tail weight needed. I think 2200 would be too heavy though it would work, just fly it faster. Also, 1300s are cheaper.
Mar 31, 2017, 04:05 PM

HS-55 out HS-65MG IN!

Hi Guys,
Been enjoying reading this thread, I purchased a receiver ready Calypso but have regretted it. Not because of any crashes but I should have purchased an ARF version. I don't like 'no-name' servos and after reading here about a few failures of the stock servos I thought time for new servos all around. I used HS-55's for everything. I ordered 4 brand new ones (I had two already installed as flap servos).

Right off the bat I regretted going with a $9 servo! I could understand the flaps or ailerons needing extra torque and maybe being hard for an HS-55 but when both the rudder and elevator servos (brand new) were humming even when centered I knew I screwed up. This is after all control surfaces were flexed multiple times! I was about 10 minutes away from final completion, I was just making final adjustments to the throws for crow, reflux etc and one of the HS-55’s flap servos started to vibrate badly while centered.

Now I’m back to square one, all servos are removed (and in the trash) and I’m going with HS-65MG servos. That is what I would have used if I started with an ARF. Lesson learned, I think the HS-55 are just not powerful enough or I got 4 bad ones to go along with the one I had that completely failed (also unused)! Of course things aren’t made as well today as they might have been even 5 years ago so who knows for sure.

The stock ESC is out, it was already replaced with a CC ESC (I like to use their Castle link program with the PC to program all my ESC’s.) I also added an Eagle Tree altimeter. My Futaba 8FG Super does not do telemetry or I’d be using that to know the altitude while in flight. I’m afraid I’ve been spoiled by my DJI P3A and always knowing my altitude. But for now the Eagle Tree will be fine.

So, maybe I had bad luck with my HS-55’s and got a bad batch along with the two I already had with one of them totally failing! But I’ll never use $9 servos ever again, my advice is go with the HS-65MG’s.

Oh well, I’m disappointed that the Calypso isn’t done today but as I look out the window and see an “April” snow storm here is Massachusetts I suppose I have plenty of time to do things right and get the best equipment in the Calypso.

Take Care,

Stevedots
Mar 31, 2017, 06:13 PM
I wish you the best, Steve. Sorry to hear about the servos. I myself used some no named servos from China and they served the purpose until my motor ejected from the motor mount because of lock-tight seepage from the motor screws. (Lesson learned ).

You know, another servos I found that are really smooth are the EMAX ES08MA II. But what you have of course, are good to go. Let us know goes on your maiden when weather permits.
Mar 31, 2017, 07:15 PM
....left up, right down !!!

Calypso Woes

Thanks for the tip, Steven. I haven't flown more than three flights on my ARF with no problems so far. But, being an old codger I was never keen on these new fangled Asian, no-name servos. I plan on adding flaps soon so I'll be sure to pic some good servos. I think I even have some old Futabas laying around that have not been used before.
Mar 31, 2017, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots
Hi Guys,
Been enjoying reading this thread, I purchased a receiver ready Calypso but have regretted it. Not because of any crashes but I should have purchased an ARF version. I don't like 'no-name' servos and after reading here about a few failures of the stock servos I thought time for new servos all around. I used HS-55's for everything. I ordered 4 brand new ones (I had two already installed as flap servos).

Right off the bat I regretted going with a $9 servo! I could understand the flaps or ailerons needing extra torque and maybe being hard for an HS-55 but when both the rudder and elevator servos (brand new) were humming even when centered I knew I screwed up. This is after all control surfaces were flexed multiple times! I was about 10 minutes away from final completion, I was just making final adjustments to the throws for crow, reflux etc and one of the HS-55’s flap servos started to vibrate badly while centered.

Now I’m back to square one, all servos are removed (and in the trash) and I’m going with HS-65MG servos. That is what I would have used if I started with an ARF. Lesson learned, I think the HS-55 are just not powerful enough or I got 4 bad ones to go along with the one I had that completely failed (also unused)! Of course things aren’t made as well today as they might have been even 5 years ago so who knows for sure.

The stock ESC is out, it was already replaced with a CC ESC (I like to use their Castle link program with the PC to program all my ESC’s.) I also added an Eagle Tree altimeter. My Futaba 8FG Super does not do telemetry or I’d be using that to know the altitude while in flight. I’m afraid I’ve been spoiled by my DJI P3A and always knowing my altitude. But for now the Eagle Tree will be fine.

So, maybe I had bad luck with my HS-55’s and got a bad batch along with the two I already had with one of them totally failing! But I’ll never use $9 servos ever again, my advice is go with the HS-65MG’s.

Oh well, I’m disappointed that the Calypso isn’t done today but as I look out the window and see an “April” snow storm here is Massachusetts I suppose I have plenty of time to do things right and get the best equipment in the Calypso.

Take Care,

Stevedots

Sorry to hear you had a bad start with your Calypso. For every rc brand out there that come with some no name stock electronics, there are those who think they're garbage. I haven't had any electronic issues with my Calypso so far (knocks on wood) but i do find my plane doesn't balance well with a 1300 battery all the way up front. I have to add more weight in the front if i want to use a 1300. The plane balances well with a 2200 tho. Good luck

Quick Reply