Nov 10, 2015, 05:08 PM
MK
MK
Floaty schmoaty. LOL! My flight yesterday with my Calypso hit the core of a thermal and went up to 1,145 ft.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2015, 05:21 PM
MK
MK
Oh, here's the flight before the 1,145 ft. one. 890 ft and 55 MPH (lower left of screen shot).
Nov 11, 2015, 01:55 PM

phenomenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
Floaty schmoaty. LOL! My flight yesterday with my Calypso hit the core of a thermal and went up to 1,145 ft.

That is terrific!
Nov 11, 2015, 01:56 PM

short range fpv flight in the BC woods.

Lightning Lake sailplaning in steady rain (3 min 52 sec)

note because of a music copyright thing you may not see this in some countries.
Nov 11, 2015, 02:05 PM
That's high for the size of this craft! I got into an updraft Monday, holly smokes it would not come down! After about a minute of that I gently nosed it down to about 300 ft and enjoyed the thermal at a lower altitude. I think I busted 1000ft , got a altimeter on the way to confirm the altitude of future flights, lots of fun!
Nov 11, 2015, 03:50 PM
MK
MK
Parkk, it depends where you are doing the circling. If it's near you, it doesn't seem that high. But if you are 1/2 mile out AND be 890 ft. up in the air like my previous graph shows...watch out! Get someone as a backup spotter!

Here's the graph of my 1145 ft flight. Finally got a chance to do a screen capture. It was much easier to spot this one since it was closer. No trouble seeing the Calypso whereas the other flight I lost it 3 times while heading back!

(I've also added a flight curtain plot using Google Earth.)
Last edited by MK; Nov 11, 2015 at 03:58 PM.
Nov 11, 2015, 03:53 PM
MK
MK
Eddie, BEAUTIFUL video and perfect music to go with it! Is that snow I'm seeing on the ground in Richmond already? I have relatives that live in Vancouver.

When you get a chance can you take a picture of your camera setup? And what camera are you using? (Apologies if I have asked before, my memory is not what is used to be! ) I really like the fact that you don't see the prop blades when it is spinning. Or was the motor off the entire time?

You must do it again when it's not raining and sunny blue skies are out.
Nov 12, 2015, 08:53 PM
My Calypso fpv-ready with 3D printed cam, Tx mount.
Nov 12, 2015, 10:46 PM
MK
MK
Interesting! I wonder how much drag that will create?
Nov 15, 2015, 04:20 PM

You're not going to believe this...

Im new to motor gliders or gliders of any kind and love it ! I'm really enjoying the Calypso. This was about a 20 min flight, stock radio equipment. About 5 min after takeoff while gliding at about 500 ft AGL and about 200 ft to my west when I hear a single beep, It was not the trim but I have heard it before, it's not a warning its just a random beep. I looked at the radio (theres only one red light) and everything seamed OK? Then suddenly I hear the motor go to full throttle (and hearing that beep again) and goes vertical and starts to roll over but I got the nose down and started a full throttle climb if I wanted to or not, all the controls but the throttle worked, it's stuck at full throttle. I'm trying to get rid of the energy by some maneuvering but it would only buy me a few seconds, I tried turning off the tx (yep, held by breath) but no change. Now it's getting a little high (see picture) I jiggled the throttle and saw a response......I moved the stick to the full throttle position and we are back to gliding! Yep, the throttle is reversed!
Well I finally got the thing down and Im turning final about 75' when I hear a series of fast beeps but this time a recognize the beeps, it's the trim! I get it on the ground using some sort of cross controls between the ailerons and rudder. The rudder ran away to the full left position !
Then I looked at the power light on the tx and it's out. After removing the batteries that were replaced a few days ago the piece of metal that contacts the neg. side of one of the batts fell into my hand. I don't think I have heard of this happening before ?
Sorry about the double pictures.
Nov 15, 2015, 04:34 PM
MK
MK
OMG!!!! 1619 ft????? Were you able to see it at that height? How far out was it? I only ask because when I was up 890 ft and 1/2 mile out, I could BARELY see it and lost it 3x while trying to bring it back. Now on the other hand, 1145 ft almost directly overhead was easy.

I have to ask...did you change your underwear later? I would have panicked like crazy!!!

What radio is that? You may want to convert to a lipo or NiMH pack and use better connectors. I have never seen that happening.

Glad you were able to save the Calypso. Really really nice glider!
Nov 15, 2015, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
OMG!!!! 1619 ft????? Were you able to see it at that height? How far out was it? I only ask because when I was up 890 ft and 1/2 mile out, I could BARELY see it and lost it 3x while trying to bring it back. Now on the other hand, 1145 ft almost directly overhead was easy.

I have to ask...did you change your underwear later? I would have panicked like crazy!!!

What radio is that? You may want to convert to a lipo or NiMH pack and use better connectors. I have never seen that happening.

Glad you were able to save the Calypso. Really really nice glider!
As luck would have it, it was about 3000 overcast and it wasn't thick so it made for a good back ground. Any other sky conditions and I think I would have lost it.
It was the stock Tactic TTX404 TX and TR624 RX. I'll see what the seller can do or I could fix it, but I have lost confidence in the TX I have here. I put a eflight tx and rx that I had in as a replacement.
Nov 15, 2015, 04:49 PM
MK
MK
I would send it back to Tower if you can't fix it. I'm sure they will take care of you.

If you are using an Eflight Tx/Rx, make sure that it is a full range set and not a park flyer one. As you know, the Calypso can go pretty high!
Nov 15, 2015, 05:51 PM
I broke the motor mount today. How do you take it out?
Nov 15, 2015, 06:57 PM
MK
MK
Although I have not replaced one, looking at mine, I would slowly and carefully use a very sharp X-acto knife and cut the glue interface between the mount and the foam. Cut as close to the mount as possible so you don't end up enlarging the opening for the new mount. I would attack it from both ends; outside and inside.

How did you break it?

Quick Reply