Jul 21, 2019, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbbo
Looks like you found the answer!
Pic from the manual. Mine balances on the green dot.
That's exactly where I ended up after 4 battery placements and flying it around. I ended up with a Tattoo 1300 mah pushed all the way aft to achieve that cg, your mileage may vary.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 06:42 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour
Anyone wing mount their cams? I mounted a RunCam 2 on the leading edge of the left wing and a counterweight on the other wing to balance her out. I get no prop or fuse in the shot and it is pretty stable.
How far out from the CL of the fuse along the wing did you mount your camera?
Jul 22, 2019, 12:25 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
How far out from the CL of the fuse along the wing did you mount your camera?
I put the camera on the leading edge facing down a bit. That way when you are level or climbing it isn't just filming the sky. Here are some pics of the placement. This pic is with my old camera. Do not attempt to fly it without a counter balance. Pic is when I tried and almost banked it into the ground.
Jul 22, 2019, 09:48 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thanks for the photo. That really explains it well.

And I hear you about not flying without a counter weight! Even with an insufficient counterweight, it's not easy to control. Like I mention in my previous post, I made a counterweight from a piece of brass, a chunk of tongue depressor, and some Velcro. Hopefully I can try it out this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour
I put the camera on the leading edge facing down a bit. That way when you are level or climbing it isn't just filming the sky. Here are some pics of the placement. This pic is with my old camera. Do not attempt to fly it without a counter balance. Pic is when I tried and almost banked it into the ground.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:40 AM
Hello All,
I cracked the motor mount and want to know if there is any replacement or exact size replacement that can be used
otherwise I would have to epoxy it.
Thanks
Sep 17, 2019, 01:52 PM
MK
MK
Every since Tower discontinued it it's hard to find parts. I know of no other stand ins that you can buy that would fit. I would wait a little longer to see if anyone else chimes in. You'll probably have to epoxy it in the end.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:14 PM
Epoxy does not chemically bond with plastic, you can get a mechanical bond but you'll need to sand the parts well, getting scratches is the goal.

I just hangered mine after the second close call as the Calypso just loves to float on breezy days! No more flights until the flaps are installed, or should I use that extra set of spoilers lying around? ;]
Sep 17, 2019, 09:45 PM
Murphy was an optimist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by syed
Hello All,
I cracked the motor mount and want to know if there is any replacement or exact size replacement that can be used
Thanks
If you can measure the mount, it sounds like an opportunity for someone with a 3D printer!
Sep 18, 2019, 10:43 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by syed
Hello All,
Thanks
I can send you a 3D printed replica of the oem motor mount if you want. I’m back in town this weekend.

Nigel.
Sep 21, 2019, 01:08 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk
I can send you a 3D printed replica of the oem motor mount if you want. I’m back in town this weekend.

Nigel.
The 3D model of the motor mount.

N.
Oct 06, 2019, 02:11 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Upgraded my Calypso's folding prop and spinner

After experiencing excessive vibration and poor performance in penetrating the wind I took a good hard look at the spinner and prop that were included with the Calypso I purchased used off of an RCGROUPS member. After some research I determined that neither were the right size for this glider. So I looked through this thread and found reference to Esprit Tech. I purchased a nice 45mm Aluminum spinner and some Aetonaut Cam 10x8 CF folding props. All installed in minutes and I took it for a test flight yesterday. The difference in performance was AMAZING. It was like flying a different glider. A fair amount more power and pretty much eliminated the vibration. I was climbing to altitude much easier and way faster.
Oct 06, 2019, 11:16 PM
I Hate Orange Props
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
I rooted through my shop and found a piece of brass that weighed almost that. After adding a piece of tongue depressor, some orange colored duck (that's the name brand!) tape and some velcro it's dead on. One thing I did learn from this experiment was to place it further outboard. I was still getting a bit of the prop in the field of view
If you put the counterweight further outboard than the camera, you can cut the required weight way down. If the camera is 12" away from the fuselage, and the counterweight is 24" away (on the other side), then you can use only 25 grams of counterweight.
At these camera weights it doesn't matter as much, but I have a heavy-ish action camera that makes this technique useful.
Oct 07, 2019, 03:35 PM
I took mine out yesterday for some awesome high altitude fpv. In my case I kept the runcam pretty close to the fuselage and still get good views.
FPV soaring!!! (17 min 1 sec)
Oct 07, 2019, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepidopteran Ape
I took mine out yesterday for some awesome high altitude fpv. In my case I kept the runcam pretty close to the fuselage and still get good views. https://youtu.be/v15J_f6pTtg
What is your setup, please share details along with pictures.
Thanks

Quick Reply