Cl-i-max Sin-Naps Beta Build - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2003, 03:20 PM
Leave me alone!

Cl-i-max Sin-Naps Beta Build

Hi gang!

I was fortunate enough to be asked by David of www.cl-i-max.com to do a test build on his new Sin-Naps. She specs out like this:

Span: 26 in.
Area: 170 sq.in.
Motor: Razor 400, 5.33:1
Battery: E-tech 2x700
Servos: 3 x GWS Pico
Weight: 216 grams (7.6 oz.)

My power system of choice will vary depending on my mood but I'll be trying both the 010 dd and one of my razors.

Here's a pic of the contents of the beta kit. Missing from the production kit are, obviously, instructions and plans.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2003, 03:22 PM
Leave me alone!
Here's a shot of the tail feathers which took literally about 5 minutes to put together.
Nov 10, 2003, 03:23 PM
Leave me alone!
The fuselage is entirely interlocking, which is what I've come to expect

The formers interlock with the sides - as do the rx and battery trays. The bottom of the fuselage interlocks with the sides and formers to ensure that you can't get any twists or bends in the fuselage.
Nov 10, 2003, 03:25 PM
Leave me alone!
The wing construction is very straight forward - interlock the ribs with the spar, trailing edge, and leading edge, and you're basically done. The innovative part of this is the landing gear. I'm opting to make mine removable, but here's the idea. The landing gear gets bent to match this plywood doubler and then glued into place.
Nov 10, 2003, 03:28 PM
Leave me alone!
Here's the slot left by keeping the bottom half of the above pictured doubler out of the equation. This allows me to slide the gear into place. I'm going to be mounting a hardwood block on either side of this box to allow me to screw a small retainer in place. This will keep the gear from folding backwards.
Nov 10, 2003, 03:29 PM
Leave me alone!
After about 90 minutes total working time, here's the finished airframe. Note that this is before any sanding. I should add that the wing with its double cap strips and T-section leading edge is very strong.
Nov 10, 2003, 03:32 PM
Leave me alone!
Here's a side view showing off the sleek lines. For those wondering, yes the landing gear is exceptionally long. I planned these legs around an 11" prop so as to drastically overpower this with a razor setup. I will be making shorter legs so as to make it look more appropriate with a smaller prop on the 010 dd.
Nov 10, 2003, 03:33 PM
Leave me alone!
Here's a side-by-side comparison between the Sin-Naps and her hangar-mate, the Axon. Yes, the Sin-Naps really is that small. I'm half way through covering and will post more pics very soon.

Martin
Nov 10, 2003, 03:37 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
Did you get a canopy??

Post those covering pics!!!

Whens the maiden planned for?
Nov 10, 2003, 03:42 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Wow, coming off of building the Attitude, the parts count looks incredibly low!

Nice work on the build, I look forward to the flight report on this one
Nov 10, 2003, 03:55 PM
Hi....

Cam: No canopy was sent.

Tres: "the parts count looks incredibly low!".....
That was one of my design goals...makes it easy and quick to build........I hope..... Based on my build, a few more small pieces will be added....

For the record my AUW ended up being 233 grams, with the 2x700 pack and 246 grams, with the 3x700 pack. So-lite, instead of regular solar film and the changes I made, like using bass wood for the stringers upped my finished weight.

If you haven't seen it already my maiden/test flights can be seen here, www.cl-i-max.com

David
Nov 11, 2003, 10:39 PM
I have a couple kits here I cut for testing and didn't use. If anyone is interested in them message me.

Thanks,
David
Nov 12, 2003, 01:33 AM
Leave me alone!
I had some *ahem* covering difficulties yesterday and have to redo a pile of my covering scheme, so for those of you looking for an update - it is coming. Just give me another day or two

Martin
Nov 13, 2003, 05:53 AM
Leave me alone!
Ahhh... the sweet sight of progress. I had to redo enough of the red/yellow that I decided to redo the entire thing and change my mind on the colors. I've yet to decide what to do on the stab/elevator but it'll be similar to the wing. The bottom of the airplane is black and will have the exact same pattern overlaid in silver. I expect to maiden in a few days.

Martin
Nov 13, 2003, 09:42 AM
David

Sent PM

Colin