Nov 28, 2016, 06:32 AM

Ht

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Hey guys,
Just wanted to confirm the Pro Mini board I ordered off eBay works like a champ.. I believe I used the same link Guy posted.

Total cost of project:
Pro Mini - $6
GY-85 - $16
SVideo Cable - $7
Push Button & breakout board - $7
Servo Extender $5
Pin Headers (M&F) - $4

Total: ~$45

Hello,
To ask for help,
I would like to order a couple of parts

We have an Arduino Servo and Senzor and the rest should be

What can you link from ???

The switch connection of any legs?

I read through many pages, but can not find the post of Guy, what many people greet him

What size page? Which Post # ....?

Oh, and I Futaba T7C term is somebody you do that? Can you describe a connection HT ?

If someone could write some advice.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2016, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1
I do yourself a nano favor, and take position of first original post and center from there attention while reading. After that;
Any questions we are glad to help
roflol
Nov 29, 2016, 06:03 AM

DIY Headtracker (Easy build, No drift, OpenSource)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie
Sounds great. It's shouldn't be too difficult even for your first Arduino project

I have been pretty busy lately (as usual ), but I plan to write a quick "beginners-guide".

The switch is already on my "to-do list".
Hi, Dennis
Sorry for bad English

Great project, DIY Headtracker (Easy build, No drift, OpenSource)

Can you help me,,,,, to see which posts the latest versions of build?
I read on page 6 #79 post of the update.
Since then, there have been newer Updater description #......?
Oh, and I could not find of 'zero / hold' button Connections description.

I'm waiting for help.
Nov 29, 2016, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadpip
Oh, and I could not find of 'zero / hold' button Connections description.

I'm waiting for help.
This might help;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post34375409
Nov 29, 2016, 05:44 PM

Ht

Quote:
Thanks!!!
Nov 30, 2016, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sibi_
Centering:
D11 or A6 to GND.

but if you calibrate correctly you don`t need it.
Thanks, all worked well.
I "center" is needed so as not to stand in the same position after a power on the mask.
Nov 30, 2016, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVL224
"center" is needed so as not to stand in the same position after a power on the mask.
Very, very correct !
Dec 09, 2016, 05:34 PM

Headtracker confusion , Please Help

I just finished building the HT, I am able to see the movement in the GUI, however when I connect the HT to my DX7 I can only get movement from one servo (pan or tilt).
Board power from a 2s batt. I have the a6 to ground connection made and the trainer cord is ground to upper part of the mono plug and the d9 pin to the center of the mono plug. I have tried the newest and the oldest HT firmware. I have the dx7 set to FPV in the trainer menu. not sure where to go from here. any help would be great.
Dec 17, 2016, 11:39 AM
VXG
VXG

Need help to setup on Turnigy 9x

Hi Guys .. finished building HT all works fine in GUI but stuck in Turnigy 9x mixing menu .. i have not yet soldered PPM signal,VCC and GRND wire to TX, however before doing that i thought to set up PPM mix to receptive channels

My problem is I cant see source as PPM7 or PPM8 on TX ... for an example if i go to set up mix for channel 8 and starts selecting source all i can see is P1, P2, P3, MAX, [C1], [C2], [C3], TrmR, TrmE, TrmT, TrmA, 3POS, THR, RUD, ELE, AIL, GEA, TRN, L1....L12, TR1.....TR8, CH1.... CH16 but no PPM input

I know i am doing it wrong but cant figure out what or how .... do i need to power on the HT to get PPM input options? or solder PPM signal,VCC and GRND wire to TX ?... my Turnigy 9x is flashed with Opentx - 9x- 2.0.19 version

any help highly appreciated.
Dec 17, 2016, 11:50 AM
Happy FPV flyer
PPMx was renamed TRx.
Dec 17, 2016, 12:57 PM
VXG
VXG
Alright!!! .. Thanx for the prompt response <3
Dec 21, 2016, 02:09 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
So i had made a mistake with my previous order smd code was wrong and i couldnt solder those tiny bits, changed them and reordered. just placed the order for the correct smd parts ( only enough to build one) I put it off for so long because my twinstar 2 that i built had crashed after only 3 flights I was so furious after just getting it tuned. one of the escs blew and asymmetric thrust crashed it low to the ground, cartwheeled and tore it up bad. i deemed it irreparable.

But anyway a preview of the wrong chips. new ones will be here soon enough from oshpark. I used 4 pin locking connectors, but 4 pin standard header connectors will work. I designed this HT to work with a module for my taranis. the center button is one of the four wires, from there to my dragonlink which uses the same locking connectors. this way i can stick a button on the back of the controller with double sided foam tape.

I also ordered a IMU9250 to test with the code for the new tracker I'm working on. Both designs have 3D printed cases on the way but it may be a little while before the 9250 model is done due to work schedule and rebuilding my motorcycle.
Dec 21, 2016, 02:17 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
Cool! (Cool headtracker work, not cool that your Twinstar crashed...that sucks and I feel your pain)

Hey, what ESCs were you running on your Twinstar and how hard were you hitting them/how many amps? Seems like there could be a warning here for others to stay away from those ESC, possibly...
Dec 21, 2016, 02:47 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
I wanted a really clean solution for the head trackers. No one is producing a good one that doesnt cost an arm and a leg, I dont mind paying if it works well....but I decided to design my own and improve on it.

they where standard eflite esc 35 amp i wasnt even pulling 17 amps per esc static probably lower in air unloaded.
Dec 27, 2016, 05:57 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
Ok, got a package from mouser today . PCB hasnt come in. but I know the design works anyway just a clean format.

Happy to say my initial testing with the MPU9250 works completely fine. So once I complete the gy-85 I'm going to fab up a 9250 based model. ( the design is already completed and ready to be ordered with my next check. tinkering with the code now
Dec 27, 2016, 08:01 PM
Sweet! How much better is the 9250 compared to the gy-85? Should have much less drift...
Dec 28, 2016, 10:28 AM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
I would say.... Lightyears. the 9250 is 3 times better at filtering than the 9150 which i never got my hands on to test. the compass is 4 times better. its been kinda hit or miss with the GY-85 for me and some people. ( 2/4 bad boards for me) so figured why not use a better chip that's far better and probably has a longer life ahead of it than the GY-85.

I thought about using a new processor and adding self calibration modes or buttons to make it easier but my coding isn't that far advanced. I'm better at physical design. but we'll see. for now i think a basic model with headers for code edits is enough. Later on ill be adding a usb port into the design to make it a plug and play thing.

From sparkfun
" The MPU-9250 replaces the popular EOL MPU-9150 and decreases power consumption by 44 percent. According to InvenSense, “Gyro noise performance is 3x better, and compass full-scale range is over 4x better than competitive offerings.” The MPU-9250 uses 16-bit Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADCs) for digitizing all nine axes, making it a very stable 9 Degrees of Freedom board."
Dec 28, 2016, 10:55 AM
AWESOME! Will you share this projects details here so others can build one, too? I've been wanting to build this headtracker for a while but have been turned off by the ancient, rather weak GY85 sensor. Especially as I know there are so many newer sensors available now with light years better performance...
Dec 28, 2016, 01:40 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
Probably once i get everything sorted out. more than likely ill sell prefabbed board kits. the only thing you would have to do is solder on the sensor which is only 4 connections. the sensor runs on 3.3 volts max. the code should run fine on the 8mhz version at 3.3 volts. problem is the code may be getting some more mods after I do some more testing. I have to order the board for the 9250 version and parts. I have them for the gy-85 but the new version the way i designed requires two voltage regulators. its a prototype for now.

Working part time right now so things are tight. I don't even have internet ( other than tying my phone to my computer so i can check up on certain things and download spec sheets and such. as it stands I have 185$ to my name until next paycheck, phone died and needed to buy a new one and bought it out right ( no credit cards for me)

The GY-85 works fine.... when it works but as i said I've had hit and miss with it.
Jan 10, 2017, 05:56 PM
Hi,
I really like this solution
Last edited by Quadpip; Jan 10, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
Jan 10, 2017, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by migser85
4 months ago i bought the arduino nano for the dominators goggles made by kristaps and the sensors but never had time for this project until now, today i soldered everything together and loaded the 1.03 firmware, ran the GUI and performed the axis method calibration only, and all i can say is wow, for my surprise it worked extremely well in the very first try, really want to thanks Dennis Frie for this amazing project and Kristaps for doing this nano boards for the dominator wich makes it more fun because of the simplicity. Its ok to only perform the axis method calibration? Its working well for me, I ask because in the past when i was reading all this thread 4 months ago i remember you had to do the magnetometer calibration and the accelerometer calibration.

Here I post a video of my first try, at the end i show the function of the HT button in the goggles, if you press it quick it reset the center position and if you hold it it turns off the headtracker, AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4El1l3WCClY
Hi,
I really like this solution
Could someone link to where to buy this
Camera Mount Gimbal
Jan 14, 2017, 01:08 AM
fly by night
hey guys. just built my HT with a Arduino nano 3 clone

latest firmware. calibrated gyros, magnetometers, accelerometers. At least I think I did. assigned channels 6,7,8. Centre button seems to work correctly.

Pitch seems to work alright, thought it outputs on ch6, not 7 as expected. pan and roll are screwy, sending signals on all 3 channels - where did I mess up? clues? see the video

DIY headtracker troubleshoot (0 min 49 sec)

Jan 14, 2017, 03:32 AM
Happy FPV flyer
You're holding it upside down.
Jan 14, 2017, 10:51 AM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
You're holding it upside down.
nope, you are wrong. it is right side up

other ideas?
Jan 14, 2017, 12:42 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Hmm I tested before answering and mine needs the GY85 with the sensors UP.
Jan 14, 2017, 12:45 PM
fly by night
when I look at the top of the thread, they have the IMU with the x y z diagram facing up, which is how mine is. i would also think with the centering utton, shouldn't matter which way is up? also doesn't explain why the output is coupled on multiple channels, instead of 3 distinct channels
Jan 14, 2017, 01:37 PM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Did you calibrate using the axis method? Might be worth trying that.
Also, looking at the first post, most photos show the GY-85 having the component side up.
Jan 14, 2017, 01:45 PM
Happy FPV flyer
The way the code works it only handles one orientation properly.
The mixing is exactly what happens when you have it upside down.

The first post shows most assembly pictures with components side up.... and says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie
Some known limitations:
  • The sensorboard must be orientated with the components up.
Enough to counter the "you are wrong" now?
Jan 14, 2017, 02:19 PM
fly by night
thanks guys I will give that a try! just have to move the button to other side I guess
Jan 14, 2017, 02:20 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
The way the code works it only handles one orientation properly.
The mixing is exactly what happens when you have it upside down.

The first post shows most assembly pictures with components side up.... and says

Enough to counter the "you are wrong" now?
seems, I am the one in the wrong. sorry for that!
Jan 16, 2017, 07:41 AM

Help on a FPV system for a Sailing Yacht (IOM)

Hello my friends, this is my first post here, so my name is Pedro, I'm a 46 years old electronics tecnician (currently not working unfortunately), but I'm almost completely ignorant on this FPV subject, so I'm here asking for your kind help.
Please apologise my english, hopefully I can transmit my ideas correctly, so I have build a IOM yacht (not sure if I can post links here, so just search for "NeKst-IOM Portugal" it was my first build and I'm quite happy with it even tough it is not a competitive boat (too heavy, my fault entirely) so I thought I can make something fun with it, and my idea was to build a FPV system as simple (cheap) as possible, my "dream" (possibly dreaming too high) is to insert a chinese 3 axis servo gimbal (with a small 5,8GHz cam) inside a tiny sailor's rain cape, and make some tiny arms operating the rudder wheel and the sails (with a rubber band just pretending) so you can look (on the cardboard/3D goggles with 5.8Ghz receiver) to the sails, check the wind, look either side to check other boats, and "see" your arms moving.
Hope you got what I mean, this is by far the most complete forum I found on the internet about the subject so maybe someone can help me.
Now the tricky part, I use a FlySky FS-i6 to control the boat, we only use 2 channels (sails and rudder) so I have 4 channels free without using... (sorry don't know the name of the multiplexing channels mode) and I wonder if I can use somehow the connector on the back to control directly the 3 gimbal channels from the arduino, if not, I plan to use some redneck invention, controlling 3 sets of "mini-servo glued to a 5k pot" and hardwire the pot pins to the ones inside of the radio...
Hope you understand my idea, I don't know if it is possible, but I've seen here way more complex stuff, so I believe it is,
I'm just too ignorant to know how...
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me for this project.
Pedro
Jan 17, 2017, 03:56 AM
Pedro, How do you want to control the camera, by moving your head (goggles) or a control on your transmitter (like stick, or knob) ?

I am confused by: "I wonder if I can use somehow the connector on the back to control directly the 3 gimbal channels from the arduino"

Which makes me think you just want to control the camera(servos) from your Transmitter, for which you wouldn't need a head tracker, or arduino.
Last edited by viper1; Jan 17, 2017 at 04:02 AM.
Jan 17, 2017, 06:05 AM
thank you so much viper1 for your reply, even I get confused when I read back what I wrote, lol.
I only know a dozen english words and I try to order them hoping the result will make sense... sorry!

Also please move my post if I'm intruding in a wrong topic, I know this one is dedicated to this awesome headtracker project.

so, answering your questions. I want to move the camera (gimbal servos) with a diy headtracker like this on my (cheap) goggles.
Also I want to transmit this"roll, tilt, yaw" data from the HT arduino to my radio by a cable because I have all my channels free except 1 and 3, only then this info will get wireless and transmitted to FS-IA6b RX that is on the boat. I know that some more advanced radios allow this by the conector that it's on the back (trainer mode I guess) please apologise my ignorance I'm a newbie in this world.

But I am almost sure that this radio (FS-i6) don't allow that, I read somewhere (if I understood right) that it only allows channels 1 to 4 to be controlled... if so I may use only 2 channels (roll and tilt).

PS: I just realised by common sense that in a real world it must be impossible to control channels 1 and 3 by the sticks, and 2 and 4 by data... so I am clueless on what to do next.
Last edited by Pedro J. PT; Jan 17, 2017 at 06:12 AM.
Jan 17, 2017, 06:11 AM
Happy FPV flyer
The i6 doesn't allow selecting individual channels for trainer so you likely can't use it for that.
Jan 17, 2017, 07:08 AM
Thank you very much Kilrah.

So, moving on, can't use the trainer port.

Can this headtracker output the PWM of the axis directly on the arduino ports?

If it was possible I would go for my "redneck" solution:

That was replacing the 2K5pots of each free channel in the radio by others connected to 3 small (9g) servos glued inside the case (controlled by the HT PWM output) maybe if I add a picture it will explain better (nevermind the size of the 2K5POT, it should be a small one, but I run out of those).

I have 6 pins in the trainer port, if I disconnect it of the board I can control/power the 3 servos with them.
Last edited by Pedro J. PT; Jan 17, 2017 at 07:18 AM.
Jan 17, 2017, 07:38 AM
Happy FPV flyer
No, the code won't output PWM without being rewritten to do so.
Jan 17, 2017, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately writing code at this level is beyond my reach. If anyone can kindly change it please contact me by PM to not interfere more with this thread.

I will try to do smething more basic like this

Thank you again for your support, sorry for any inconvenience, congratulations for this great project that I really wish I could see it working but unfortunately is not compatible with my modest gear.

Cheers from Portugal
Jan 17, 2017, 10:21 AM
Happy FPV flyer
There are PPM to PWM converters around that you might be able to use.
Jan 17, 2017, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

I came across this great project a while back. Over winter break I ordered a GY-85 and built one for myself.

I didn't want to use a full Arduino Nano, as it was larger than necessary. I ended up etching my own board, similar in dimensions to the GY-85, which sandwiches for a very compact setup.

There are only five components on the board:
  1. ATMega328 (TQFP32 footprint)
  2. 16MHz crystal (pulled off a bad Arduino Nano board, SMD-3 footprint)
  3. 0-ohm resistor acting as a jumper link (1206 [imperial] footprint)
  4. 1uF capacitor to debounce the button (0805 [imperial] footprint)
  5. 1uF capacitor decouple the 5V input. (0805 [imperial] footprint)
  6. Standard through-hole tactile button from the parts bin

Note there is no 5V regulator listed above. I have a clean 5V supply on my goggles so I didn't bother with local regulation.

Here's the PCB in Fritzing:
Name: Screenshot (272).png
Views: 38
Size: 455.8 KB
Description:

Etched via the toner-transfer process. Some of the toner got smudged and as a result, half of the traces are a bit fat. I'm slowly getting the process figured out
Name: 20170115_223130(0).jpg
Views: 35
Size: 391.0 KB
Description:

Here, the board is populated and being programmed with an Arduino Nano as the ISP. I didn't plan on fiddling with the code so I only broke out the serial port to the 0.1" header for adjusting parameters. In hindsight, I should have flashed it before soldering it to the board:
Name: 20170116_090033.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 479.7 KB
Description:

Testing the GY-85 before I sandwich the two boards:
Name: 20170116_092924(0).jpg
Views: 55
Size: 499.5 KB
Description:

The final product. There's a piece of kapton tape and a thing sheet of foam between the two boards to minimize any flexing/shorting. The 0.1" header breaks out the GND, 5V input and PPM out (in that order to match a servo cable's colours) and the Tx and Rx for adjusting parameters with a USB to serial adapter:
Name: 20170116_100151.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 664.2 KB
Description:
Name: 20170116_100202(0).jpg
Views: 48
Size: 757.9 KB
Description:

I've included the Fritzing file as well as a couple of PDFs of the PCB for anyone who would like to build it

A big thanks to Dennis and all who contributed to the thread!
Last edited by MoeRawi; Jan 19, 2017 at 08:32 PM.
Jan 17, 2017, 08:20 PM
Gee, good effort Moe! Looks great, well done!
Jan 17, 2017, 09:45 PM
T_G
T_G
Assorted boats, planes & quads
Moe's board looks excellent. Could it run a 3.3v chip with a 1s battery?
Jan 17, 2017, 09:59 PM
Does the PWM signal need higher Voltage? 5V ? Maybe not....
Jan 18, 2017, 03:14 AM
Happy FPV flyer
That would depend on the radio it's connected to.
Jan 19, 2017, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_G
Moe's board looks excellent. Could it run a 3.3v chip with a 1s battery?
Hi T_G,

In its current configuration it probably won't run at 3.3V. The ATMega328 is not rated to run at 16MHz below ~3.8V according to figure 29-1 of the datasheet. It can, however, run at 3.3V with an 8MHz crystal just fine. It looks like a couple of people in this thread have run the code at 8MHz with success.

Regarding regulation, the GY-85 has a 3.3V regulator built in (marked KB33.) One might be able to get away with powering the ATMega (@ 8MHz) from this regulator, connecting the battery to the VCC_IN pin on the GY-85.
Jan 20, 2017, 12:10 PM
T_G
T_G
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeRawi
One might be able to get away with powering the ATMega (@ 8MHz) from this regulator, connecting the battery to the VCC_IN pin on the GY-85.
Many thanks, my aims are similar to yours - to produce a minimal board although I'm now looking at a wireless version with the MPU-9250 (GY-9250) which rates at 2.4 > 3.6v although that's less important if goggles power is available. The MotionFusion output (probably similar to a Kalman filter) of that chip should reduce the work of the ATM chip so 8Mhz should be OK.
Jan 20, 2017, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_G
Many thanks, my aims are similar to yours - to produce a minimal board although I'm now looking at a wireless version with the MPU-9250 (GY-9250) which rates at 2.4 > 3.6v although that's less important if goggles power is available. The MotionFusion output (probably similar to a Kalman filter) of that chip should reduce the work of the ATM chip so 8Mhz should be OK.
Very cool. Be sure to share your progress!

I remember back when Invensense introduced the Digital Motion Processor range, they did not release enough information to configure it. It looks like DMP config has been figured out now so it should be much easier.

Regarding wireless functionality, do you have a particular radio in mind?
Jan 20, 2017, 03:57 PM
T_G
T_G
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeRawi
Regarding wireless functionality, do you have a particular radio in mind?
Bluetooth 2.1+EDR serial port. Used SPP-C modules at 115200 for other projects but HC-05 should also be OK for prototype, the question remains what point in the chain to insert the serial link? Some 9250 inspiration comes from the EDtracker project
Jan 25, 2017, 05:49 PM

drift pb

Hi all,

i ve been suces to connect and calibrate, but i ve another pb : my servos go back at middle every time,

look my video...https://goo.gl/photos/6Jv1jZt6X4b16sxZ8

how can i fix it?
Jan 26, 2017, 10:15 AM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Has anyone used a 360 pan servo? I just recently bought a propan mount and was super excited to hook it up only to find it acts a bit strange. As noted earlier in the thread, when you look slightly left or right, it continuously pans in a circle. I have a 180 degree modified pan servo that I had set up with my old mount, and I guess I could retrofit this, but I don't know how well it will work due to the gearing of the mount. I am hoping someone else is using a 360 servo and might have some ideas.
Jan 27, 2017, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel
Has anyone used a 360 pan servo? I just recently bought a propan mount and was super excited to hook it up only to find it acts a bit strange. As noted earlier in the thread, when you look slightly left or right, it continuously pans in a circle. I have a 180 degree modified pan servo that I had set up with my old mount, and I guess I could retrofit this, but I don't know how well it will work due to the gearing of the mount. I am hoping someone else is using a 360 servo and might have some ideas.
It depends on what kind of servo you have. Some 180 deg servos (and possibly 360 as well?) are not proportional servos. The 180's are often used for retracts. They start turning and won't stop until they reach their end-point. They don't feature a 'normal' potmeter inside.

I tried modifying standard servos for both 180 and 360 deg, but as you basically "stretch" the resolution, I never liked the stepping efffect you get when looking through a camera.
I made something similar to this: http://flitetest.com/articles/360-pan-build-log

a bit bulky, but smooth as a baby bum.

See it in action here :
HD FPV (26 min 57 sec)
Jan 28, 2017, 02:17 AM
Embrace the suck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel
Some 360* pan servos have a small pot inside that allows for adjusting the deadband around center. Perhaps you can tweak this (if it's there) to where it takes a larger movement of your head to get the servo to pan? On mine it's found through a tiny hole in the bottom.
Jan 30, 2017, 05:48 AM
When adding reset button between PIN 11 and ground, should I use additional resistor?
Jan 30, 2017, 11:02 AM
Ok, now it works, i put 100% tracking, and my servos stays at postition..

BUT, i ve only 2 axis pan-tilt, and so i need to delete the roll axis....
how can i do that in the headtracker gui v1.04?

I need to delete roll axis coz my pan tilt gone crazy...
Jan 30, 2017, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomg778
Ok, now it works, i put 100% tracking, and my servos stays at postition..

BUT, i ve only 2 axis pan-tilt, and so i need to delete the roll axis....
how can i do that in the headtracker gui v1.04?

I need to delete roll axis coz my pan tilt gone crazy...
set it to channel 0
Jan 31, 2017, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morel_
When adding reset button between PIN 11 and ground, should I use additional resistor?
A resistor is not necessary.
Feb 01, 2017, 01:08 AM
Hi guys!
I trying to build this head tracker, and got some problems. I have bought arduino nano, IMU board, soldered it together by scheme, upload firmware 1.04 . By the way, firmware, when compiling - shows some errors, but "successfully uploaded". Okay. Connect to GUI, calibrate, set channels, limits.
But I can't connect headtracker to my radio Graupner MX-20. I've got it's DSC port pin layout, solder wires, connect to radio. It sees headtacker in "teacher-pupil" mode, but in channel monitor - channel shows -150% all the time. May be there are some format inconsistency between Graupner's PPM and headtracker's PPM? Anyone here has same radio?
Feb 01, 2017, 04:38 PM
And this is my headtracker built using this project. Arduino is nano clone and IMU is GY-85. Connected to GUI works properly. Now I have to solder connector to my tgy9x and test HT with radio.
Feb 03, 2017, 02:03 AM
Hi! Could anyone tell me - is it necessary to connect A6 of Arduino nano and GND pins? May be because of it I can't get PPM signal on my radio?
Feb 03, 2017, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dreadnought
Hi! Could anyone tell me - is it necessary to connect A6 of Arduino nano and GND pins? May be because of it I can't get PPM signal on my radio?
No, not according to my manual.

have you connected it like this?

Transmitter -> Arduino Pin
PPM_IN -> D9
V_out -> V_in
Ground -> GND
Feb 03, 2017, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Hi guys!
I trying to build this head tracker, and got some problems. I have bought arduino nano, IMU board, soldered it together by scheme, upload firmware 1.04 . By the way, firmware, when compiling - shows some errors, but "successfully uploaded".
Errors? If it shows errors it has not compiled, I think. What are the error messages?
Feb 03, 2017, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sibi_
No, not according to my manual.

have you connected it like this?

Transmitter -> Arduino Pin
PPM_IN -> D9
V_out -> V_in
Ground -> GND
Hi! Thanks a lot for your reply! Of course, I've connected pins as it described in manual. I attach my picture , I've made it for my own serviceability. All soldered as it, but I don't solder centering switch between D11 and GND.

About pin A6 to GND, I allow myself to quote user manual: "You can test your board without soldering the sensor board and using a temporary jumper between GND and A6. Once your tests are complete and you have the tracker working, solder the sensor board to the Arduino, and solder in a permanent jumper between the Arduino’s GND pin and A6.".

I don't understand why I need to "test board without soldering", and solder sensor board to arduino before any tests. Text " and solder in a permanent jumper between the Arduino’s GND pin and A6" I understand literally.

About errors. I try to achieve it again, have compiled and upload sketch, Got some red text in black field below in arduino IDE window. But, by default arduino IDE sets up in my system with local language (Russian). And errors (red text) were ended with string in Russian (white text) (something about how much % of memory of device was used. Sorry, I 'm a little lazy to translate it to English. I'd changed language to English. Arduino IDE, when restarted, automatically downloads some libraries, I recompile and upload firmware again, but errors disappears. I tried to achieve these errors again, change language to Russian again, but errors didn't appears.

Also. I do not know - when I upload firmware - is it necessary to somehow clean memory of arduino? I simply upload firmware again over. And I see, that all my settings (channels, limits etc.) and sensor calibration are not cleared when firmware overwritten.

Anyway, I connect again headtracker to my radio, but nothing happened - 150% on selected channel . ( I want to fasten headtracker on my radio to control pitch axis of copter's camera gimbal.)
Feb 03, 2017, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Hi! Thanks a lot for your reply! Of course, I've connected pins as it described in manual. I attach my picture , I've made it for my own serviceability. All soldered as it, but I don't solder centering switch between D11 and GND.

About pin A6 to GND, I allow myself to quote user manual: "You can test your board without soldering the sensor board and using a temporary jumper between GND and A6. Once your tests are complete and you have the tracker working, solder the sensor board to the Arduino, and solder in a permanent jumper between the Arduino’s GND pin and A6.".

I don't understand why I need to "test board without soldering", and solder sensor board to arduino before any tests. Text " and solder in a permanent jumper between the Arduino’s GND pin and A6" I understand literally.
Forget A6 Pin. Just follow the wireing guide on first post of Denis. I think your problem might be related to wireing or MX 20. There was a guy who had the same problem, this might help you:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1992

Otherwise, use the search function in this thread. +200 Pages this is a knowledge goldmine
Feb 04, 2017, 08:48 AM

heres a tip

if u r havin problems with headtracker not movin your servos.
you have to turn on the head tracker in a certain sequence,
first turn on your tx, then power your headtracker whilst its level, always try to keep headtracker level!

THEN, finally plug in the headtracker 3.5mm jack. turn on plane, celebrate.

i disconnect headtracker before i power off my 9xr tx too, because i cant be having problems anymore. gotta keep things the same order otherwize ssht happens.

oh and here other tips, with arduino, clear epromm like the chinese guy on YT shows, and then upload the new firmware doesnt hurt, if it doesnt work, keep trying, its very hit and miss the head tracking malarkee.

mine works with these settings , ppmsim on, trainer off, multiplier set to 1.0 <watever.
Feb 06, 2017, 04:08 AM
Hello! I have it already done. I've connected DIY-headtracker to my Graupner MX-20 radio.
1. I understand wrong or didn't understand "Servo travel endpoints (maximum and minimum)". It is sees strange one end in 1150 points, other end in the same 1150 points, and center in 2100 points.
I found this article: https://mihlit.cz/blog/index.php/dil...hott-add-frsky
there are limits for graupner ppm signal : "0 one end, 511 center, 1023 other end"
I set it in gui like this - and it did not work.
2. Graupner do not see channels with number over 8. I tried to connect headtracker on 10th channel - it did not work.

So, I return default values to the limits , and set required tilt channel to 7th. And now it works fine!
Thanks a lot to authors.
Feb 06, 2017, 09:59 AM
Ck me boys i just discovered it needs to be in ppmsim mode>trainer off>multiplier more than 0.0!!! Your whalecum
Feb 06, 2017, 11:59 AM

It can't work on Arduino UNO with GY-87 gyro.

Should I buy a GY-85 ?
Feb 06, 2017, 12:06 PM
so, different sensors....lol
Feb 06, 2017, 02:04 PM
no, obviously nobody knows how to do it otherwise there would be someone selling them cheap on e bay
but my quanum ht works now great from hk i got like a year ago for 15 bux i think, now its twice the price, i dont like the way hobbyslut doubles its prices on things like that.
Feb 07, 2017, 01:45 AM
Feng

Thanks for your sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBirdie001
I succesfully interfaced this head tracker to my 35MHz Hitec Optic 6 radio and because it wasn't that easy, maybe it can help to others (hopefully also to you, Eatnbugs... )
First I warn you that I did it only once on MY radio so I can't guarantee that it will work for you exactly as is!

I found that my Hitec Optic 6 outputs battery supply voltage (between 9-11V depending on the battery condition) to pin1 (so you can use it to power your HT) and six channel PPM signal to pin 2 of the trainer port, ground is on the shielding and cetral pin 6.
PPM goes out always when radio is on, i.e. even when the trainer swith is pulled up. PPM has logic 1 at full supply voltage (i.e. about 10 Volts!!!)

PPM input from head tracker needs to be connected to pin 3, I suppose that here Hitec radios use the same logic levels (i.e. ~10V for log. 1).
This input works ONLY when the trainer switch is UP but please note that in this situation internal PPM signal is disconnected so when you connect only output of your HT to pin 3 (and GND to GND) your transmitter will use only HT generated signal so channels 1-6 will be on fixed values defined in the HT code and channels 7-8 will carry HT PAN and TILT signals.
I think this is the situation you have Eatnbugs, right?)

If you want to transmit also channels 1-6 generated from your radio sticks and switches, you have to activate in the config.h #define PPM_IN 1 and wire PPM OUT from your radio (pin2) to HT Arduino PPM input which should be pin D2 but for me worked only D8 and not D2. (I don't understand why - can someone explain, please??? I don't understand code good enough to find why)
Head tracker then reads channels 1-6 from radio (pin2), internally it copies to output (Arduino D9) with appended your HT PAN and TILT so result is 8 channel PPM with AIL,ELE,THRO,RUDD,SW1,SW2,PAN,TILT which you should wire to trainer port pin 3 (This is an example for my configuration, of course it can differ for you. I put it here to make things 100% clean )

Good test if your radio works the same way as mine when you don't have scope is:
Move sticks of your TX and observe your plane on the ground. (use a glider or REMOVE PROPELLER !!!). Servos should move according the sticks movement
Then pull trainer switch (with nothing in trainer plug) and you should loose control.

Then bridge pins 2-3 of the trainer plug with a piece of wire. Test again and you should have control in BOTH positions of trainer (in top position PPM goes OUT and back IN unchanged.

If this works, you can try connect HT as drawn in my simple drawing.
Extra components are to adapt logic levels of Hitec to Arduino ones.

It's good to measure signals first using the scope but if you don't have one, you can just measure by digital voltmeter DC voltage on pin 2 and if its higher than 5V, your radio probably uses high logic voltage levels and you should use also the extra components to adjust it.
Logic level conversion circuit I created as simple as possible, for me it works perfectly but of course you can invent something else.

When you then want to fly with Head tracker, you must have trainer switch always UP. This can be done by some rubber band or simply replace trainer switch in your radio with a toggle one.
Be aware, that with trainer switch UP you have to ALWAYS have HT connected to the trainer, otherwise you will loose the control!
I hope that will be sufficient even for non-electrician to succeed and help someone.
Good luck!
Roman
Roman,
Thanks so much for your sharing even long time ago!
I am looking for information to support my guess which Pin should be connected to PPM IN signal from TX.
The original post shows it's D2, but I check the Arduino datasheet which describe the Pin should be D8.
Your sharing confirmed this. Maybe you know this already for long time since the thread is so big that I cannot check all posts.

Attached Arduino Pin Drawings, D8 is the ICP1 (Input Capture Pin1).

Feng Xue
Feb 07, 2017, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feng Xue
Roman,
Thanks so much for your sharing even long time ago!
I am looking for information to support my guess which Pin should be connected to PPM IN signal from TX.
The original post shows it's D2, but I check the Arduino datasheet which describe the Pin should be D8.
Your sharing confirmed this. Maybe you know this already for long time since the thread is so big that I cannot check all posts.

Attached Arduino Pin Drawings, D8 is the ICP1 (Input Capture Pin1).

Feng Xue
D9 is PPM
Feb 07, 2017, 04:12 AM
Feng
Quote:
D9 is PPM
Thanks for you drawings.
I am talking PPM IN mode which means TX send out PPM signal to HT then HT mix in HT PPM signal and back to TX.

There is no clear description which Pin should be used to get PPM signal from TX.
I think it should be D8 and get confirmation through Roman's post.

The original post by Dennis shows D2 is considered to be used for the features.
Feb 07, 2017, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeogras
so, different sensors....lol
I resolved it, I changed some code for mpu6050
Feb 08, 2017, 11:29 PM
Is anyone using a propan v2 mount with this head tracker? What did you set for the values such as pan and tilt weight and filter?

Min/max servo settings? Center?

I tried it this past weekend and it was very glitchy - dunno if I'm doing something wrong - the slightest left or right movement often times would jerk the camera from one extreme to the other (left to right or vice versa)...
Feb 09, 2017, 02:54 AM
Dixie Normious
Hmm is ita 360 servo? I tired with mine sometime ago with a sail-winch servo and it did the same.
Feb 09, 2017, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78
Hmm is ita 360 servo? I tired with mine sometime ago with a sail-winch servo and it did the same.
no that's the v1. this is the v2.
Feb 21, 2017, 01:46 PM
Not sure if it interests anyone, but I did some reading today and found this handy gizmo:

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Apparently it is an addon 'stick' for sending ppm to a controller, like a dragonlink tx - so you can control your pan/tilt mount (instead of using the head tracker).

I think it's pretty nifty, and maybe a good solution for someone. I'd buy one if it were a little cheaper and closer to home...
Mar 01, 2017, 09:41 AM
Feng

My HT helmet is working

Thanks a million to Dennis and all your sharing.
Eventually, my HT helmet is working.

DIY HeadTracker Opensource (0 min 47 sec)

Headtracker Screen (0 min 25 sec)
Mar 05, 2017, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeogras
I resolved it, I changed some code for mpu6050
I have a spare gy521 and a separate compass , wanting to build a head tracker , any chance you could share your code change?
Nigel.

Edit
never mind ,
I ordered a gy85
Looking forward to another diy project.
I was considering doing a wireless option but I don't really like the idea of a tx sitting on my head for ages even if it's low power...
A cheap old quad reprogrammed would have been possible maybe as they have Transievers built in, coupled with a nrf2401 RX and arduino to ppm could be done...
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Mar 06, 2017 at 07:32 AM.
Mar 18, 2017, 01:22 PM
I got my parts and built it apart from connecting ppm to tx which I have yet to do, so have not checked ppm but the graph is showing it working for levels etc, I don't quite understand the ppm limits etc, I expected something like 1000min 1500middle and 2000 max to control a servo..
Standard setting in the graphical interface are set as 2000 middle and min and Max at 1000 (roughly) ?!?!?
Also I got a lot of errors compiling , is this because I have a up to date Arduino suit and this was written a few years ago?
Will these errors effect anything?
Thanks...

Edit,
It works ..!
Thanks for a great project!
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Mar 18, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Mar 19, 2017, 01:57 PM
Hi all! I just built this for the purpose of VR-Audio experiments, to be used with headphones. It's an amazing little device!

Can someone here who knows more about the Arduino code help me to make it send out 16bit integer instead of floats?
Mar 20, 2017, 11:20 AM
Tested my headtracker out on RC car to get a feel for it and wow it makes it feel so much nicer being able to look around whilst driving, had a little trouble with centre and had to add some offsets to my tx but i would like to sort that out on the headtracker if i can , I'm using a taranis and wondered if any one had servo settings I'd need to get the centre point spot on without needing offsets on the tx?
Mar 21, 2017, 02:08 AM
It seems to work now, but does anyone of you have an idea how to reverse the signal (on trainer) for the turnigy 9x?
My servos are moving the wrong direction...
Mar 21, 2017, 05:31 AM
Happy FPV flyer
If it's a 9x with stock firmware you can't do anything to the trainer signal in it, you have to reverse in the headtracker GUI.
Mar 21, 2017, 08:38 AM
Is this headtracker still the best option? Including commercial options?
Mar 21, 2017, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmacky
Is this headtracker still the best option? Including commercial options?
As far as i found when i looked very recently,
The cheapest commercial one is £30 plus post from hobby king.
This one cost about £8 for the parts.
Does not take long to build either.
It works perfectly so i cant see any reason not to use it.
The only way it could be better is if it had a wireless link to tx, but then would you really want a Rf transmitter sitting so close to your head !?!?
Mar 21, 2017, 01:11 PM
@Kilrah: Thanks a lot for you answer.
The 9x has the stock firmware on it.
Which firmware would you recommend on it?

@nigelsheffield:
I am working on a wireless solution
Mar 21, 2017, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
@Kilrah: Thanks a lot for you answer.
The 9x has the stock firmware on it.
Which firmware would you recommend on it?

@nigelsheffield:
I am working on a wireless solution
Opentx of course!

A wireless solution would be interesting not just for convenience but also for spectators to give them the headset and allow them to look around whilst you fly line of sight.
Mar 21, 2017, 05:40 PM
I'm looking at gimbals now's, pan is easy just a servo, pan and tilt options seem a little heavy for what i want to put them in,I'm trying out some diy ideas i have using paper clips and a couple of servos, will post pictures if it works.
Are their any good forums dedicated to this so i don't throw this one off track ?
Mar 25, 2017, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Opentx of course!

A wireless solution would be interesting not just for convenience but also for spectators to give them the headset and allow them to look around whilst you fly line of sight.
Got it working!
Have look here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qnpu7k8ph...53015.mp4?dl=0

I will do further testing.
Important note for you: the headtracker module is just connected to the PC for power.
Then it transmits the data to the other 2.4GHz module inside the remote, which then uses the data to generate a PPM signal and send it via "normal" transmisstion (from flight remote) to the receiver. In this case the receiver has 2 Servos connected to show the movement

Future Testing:
- check if it still works from a 12V power source (instead of USB powered)
Mar 25, 2017, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Got it working!
Have look here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qnpu7k8ph...53015.mp4?dl=0

I will do further testing.
Important note for you: the headtracker module is just connected to the PC for power.
Then it transmits the data to the other 2.4GHz module inside the remote, which then uses the data to generate a PPM signal and send it via "normal" transmisstion (from flight remote) to the receiver. In this case the receiver has 2 Servos connected to show the movement

Future Testing:
- check if it still works from a 12V power source (instead of USB powered)
Can't seem to view anything, but it sounds good , i imagined using a ppm Rx in the model transmitter quite easy, but the tx part in the headtracker not so simple.. Arduino project perhaps, or the diy multimodule
Mar 26, 2017, 09:24 PM
People make Wireless Trainer setups with just a TX module and RX module, so for this DIY-HT it should work fine too I would think. eg Frsky DJT (get it out of its case) and D4R etc.
Or is the PPM stream missing something that needs?
Mar 27, 2017, 01:38 AM
I have no idea, but I dont like to add hardware then is not necessary.
for additional 4USD you get the same (or more because customazible) funcionality then with bought setups.
Mar 27, 2017, 02:44 AM
Quote:
I have no idea, but I dont like to add hardware then is not necessary.
for additional 4USD you get the same (or more because customazible) funcionality then with bought setups.
I'm interested, let me know if you are prepared to share your setup.
I have another more complicated idea which could be good, getting osd info from telemetry on the tx sent to goggles, would be clearer as not suffer from grainy breaking when signal is weak.
I have made sensor which gives heading and pitch and roll from my gliders to enable fly by instruments, this would be great if it could be added to goggles.
Mar 27, 2017, 08:21 PM
Arduino..... with typical OSD setup.... appropriate coding....
And could probably be done using a MinimOSD or similar. Nothing to build... just to program.
It shouldn't be hard, bar knowing the data stream decoding, which some people do know...... and all then all the arduino (minimosd) re-coding aspects of it.
Apr 19, 2017, 10:10 AM
How about the receiver of the servos? Can anyone teach me how to do it please?
Apr 22, 2017, 02:35 PM
Hi guys im new to Arduino. And cant get started with my DIY head tracker keep getting same error . Maybe someone could help.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino nano

Full error report says ,, fatal error,, and ,, no such file or directory,, ??

Begining of code looks like this when opend in Arduino IDE

// Written by Dennis Frie - 2012
// Contact: [email protected]

// Version 0.08

// Discussion:
// http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

/*
Channel mapping/config for PPM out:

1 = PPM CHANNEL 1
2 = PPM CHANNEL 2
3 = PPM CHANNEL 3
4 = PPM CHANNEL 4
5 = PPM CHANNEL 5
6 = PPM CHANNEL 6
7 = PPM CHANNEL 7
8 = PPM CHANNEL 8
9 = PPM CHANNEL 9
10 = PPM CHANNEL 10
11 = PPM CHANNEL 11
12 = PPM CHANNEL 12

20 = ANALOG INPUT 0
21 = ANALOG INPUT 1
22 = ANALOG INPUT 2
23 = ANALOG INPUT 3
24 = ANALOG INPUT 4
25 = ANALOG INPUT 5
26 = ANALOG INPUT 6
27 = ANALOG INPUT 7

20 = DIGITAL INPUT 0
21 = DIGITAL INPUT 1
22 = DIGITAL INPUT 2
23 = DIGITAL INPUT 3
24 = DIGITAL INPUT 4
25 = DIGITAL INPUT 5
26 = DIGITAL INPUT 6
27 = DIGITAL INPUT 7

30 = HT pan
31 = HT tilt
32 = HT roll

Mapping example:
$123456789111CH

*/
#include <Wire.h>

#include "config.h"
#include "functions.h"
#include "sensors.h"
#include "PPM_Read.h"

#include <EEPROM.h>

extern unsigned char channel_mapping[];
extern unsigned char PpmIn_PpmOut[13];
extern char read_sensors;
extern long channel_value[];

extern float gyroOff[];

Rest of the code looks really long , COM port works properly when connected. Doing everythung as directed in page one until i need to upload software to the board then it would show same error all the time. Any help with what im doing wrong guys.

THANKS
Last edited by srux; Apr 23, 2017 at 04:12 AM.
Apr 23, 2017, 02:34 AM
Have a nice day! Kristjan
My headtracker just stopped working. For 3 years it was working perfectly, but yesterday I had some issues. Tried upload fw again and calibrate board few times, but it does not work as it should. In GUI when moving it in all directions only pan is moving in plot pan is moving.
Apr 23, 2017, 04:58 AM
T_G
T_G
Quote:
Originally Posted by srux
Hi guys im new to Arduino. And cant get started with my DIY head tracker keep getting same error . Maybe someone could help.
THANKS
Can you upload the sample Arduino 'blink' sketch to the nano without errors?

https://www.arduino.cc/en/tutorial/blink
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-...-blink-example
Apr 23, 2017, 06:22 AM
Hi , haven t tried but will give it a go, let you know how it goes. In the mean time will go flying without head tracker. Weather looks ok
Apr 26, 2017, 04:03 PM
Hi again, ive tried LED sketch and it works fine. But when i try to upload head tracker skech it gives me this error now. And im not using app on my pc, using Arduino web editor instead. I thought that might be a problem but its not.

arduino-builder/arduino-builder -compile -core-api-version 10611 -build-path /tmp/738718694 -hardware arduino-builder/hardware -hardware arduino-builder/packages/cores -tools arduino-builder/tools -tools arduino-builder/packages/tools -built-in-libraries arduino-builder/latest -libraries /tmp/136754147/pinned -libraries /tmp/136754147/custom -fqbn arduino:avr:nano:cpu=atmega328 -build-cache /tmp -verbose=false /tmp/136754147/DIY_headtracker

Multiple libraries were found for "config.h"

Used: /home/admin/builder/arduino-builder/latest/SWAP-1.0.9

Not used: /home/admin/builder/arduino-builder/latest/OpenDevice-0.1.3

Not used: /home/admin/builder/arduino-builder/latest/GobbitLineCommand-0.0.7

/tmp/136754147/DIY_headtracker/DIY_headtracker.ino:17:23: fatal error: functions.h: No such file or directory

#include "functions.h"

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Quick Reply