Pro Bro #1008
so we post here now?
Nov 10, 2003, 12:55 PM
yepp
Nov 10, 2003, 01:05 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis

SWEET!

the first post closed due to high numbers in the 3D forum

looks like this forum is here to stay, so when does it get moved from the "trial forums" area?

phil
Nov 10, 2003, 01:10 PM
Pro Bro #1008
did you guys see Ryans video flyin the 3dx..? tha waterballoon hit was too kool! way to go Ryan...

you and mcbride are just 3d freeks!
Nov 10, 2003, 01:11 PM
Leave me alone!
Quote:
Originally posted by birdie_in_texas
did you guys see Ryans video flyin the 3dx..? tha waterballoon hit was too kool! way to go Ryan...

you and mcbride are just 3d freeks!
I just checked that out. He's now our very own Warren Miller of flying videos. I want more!

Martin
Nov 10, 2003, 01:34 PM
Pro Bro #1008
i hate to show my ignorance...but who is warren miller?
Nov 10, 2003, 01:40 PM
Leave me alone!
He made himself famous by putting wild and crazy snow skiing stunts on video connected with rock songs in a style that kept you captivated endlessly - myself, anyway.

Martin
Nov 10, 2003, 01:49 PM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Birdie,
If you are a skier or even not check out a Warren Miller film( www.warrenmiller.com) , He has been makeing films on sking and sailing for a long long time. Just saw his latest film ,Adventure, last weekend and once again it was awsome.

Got to fly the UB 30" 6 more times over the weekend. I am totally impressed with the Razor 2500 and the 3S3P Kokam 340 pack. Today at lunch I got 15 mins of pretty much pure hovering and high alpha stuff. The motor and pack was barely warm. If I keep practicing hovering like the way I have been I may just be able to do it one of these days. Thinking I have to build a Yak.

Cheers,
Jim
Nov 10, 2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Bro #1008
thanks for the info..i will look for his stuff and maybe find a vid to D/L..

am thinking that the 2500 overpowers the hell outta that UB..! bet it is fun! i am waiting for the depron to come in so i can build a UB and a Yak...!! but i will have to settle for my razor 300 ...aww...shucks..!! hahahaha

thanks!

birdie
Nov 10, 2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Bro #1008
hey rpvpilot...where do you work..? i just saw a video of you flying indoors in a place that looked like BVM or something...lots of jet fuse's hanging everywhere..

so what's up? tell us please..?

birdie
Nov 10, 2003, 02:39 PM
A little off topic, but I remember seeing Warren Miller movies at the local ski shop - back when Warren used to narrate them himself, live! Thanks for bringing that up Martin...

Now, back to the task at hand - Yaks...
Nov 10, 2003, 04:55 PM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Birdie,
Yea....the 2500 on 5.5:1 gearing is a rocketship to say the least. I figured that the 10 gram diffrence would not be noticable and the motor seems to be a better all around motor for diffrent planes. using the GWS box it makes it so easy to switch the motor system to other planes. OK, had to do it, I bought the plans for the Yak 54.....now do I go 40" hmmmmm......

Cheers for now,
Jim
Nov 10, 2003, 06:46 PM

Castle Creations question

I have just recieved a Razor 350 and Casle Creations 25 speed control.
Do I need to program anything else other than the cut off for the 1200 3s E-Tec Pack. I haven't got the Lipos yet, what voltage should Iset it to
Nov 10, 2003, 06:56 PM
40%, 5% whats the diff?
Hmmm, Im wondering, should I buy yak plans or build another 3dx??? Decisions decisions.
Sean
Nov 10, 2003, 07:25 PM
And You're Not

Re: Castle Creations question

Quote:
Originally posted by nosram
I have just recieved a Razor 350 and Casle Creations 25 speed control.
Do I need to program anything else other than the cut off for the 1200 3s E-Tec Pack. I haven't got the Lipos yet, what voltage should Iset it to
I use 7.2V cut off...this seems low, but I think they are shooting for the voltage under load, it was the recommended for 3S lipos on my instructions...

Standard current limiting..

No brake..

Auto calibrating throttle...

Standard timing advance...

Hard cut off...

Fast Start...
Nov 10, 2003, 07:47 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Quote:
You sound like you know the area here, do you travel up here or just know the reputation?
Mark

I grew up in Fresno (actually Clovis), but had a friend who met a girl, and moved to your town back in 81. He married her in 82 (I still can remember the song "Heading to Hollister" I wrote for their wedding). Lots of family and friends in and around "the city", but Hollister itself is rather hard to forget once you've been there a time or two.
Nov 10, 2003, 08:51 PM

Yak??

Hi guys this is my first post ever . ok ive been flying a slow stick for about 3 months now and have been reading the posts about these planes . I decided to order some depron and the yak plans . Anyhow i need some help deciding what type of radio to get (the one for my slow stick is only 3 channel) and also what type of batterys could i get that would work in my slow stick as well as the yak . I plan on going with the GWS motor first because im really new to the RC aircraft scene and im sure ill go through a few planes before i learn to fly good enough with alirons to worry about doing all those cool tricks. Does anybody sell just transmitters withought the recievers and servos or do they usually come with them? What would you guys reccomend i was just looking at the 4 channel ones by Hightec or whatever it is they seemend pretty nice and inespensive but id rather be able just to buy the transmitter and the electronics for the plane seprate . Anyhow like i sayd im new to this so im kinda boggeled by all the info thats here on the forums...............keep getting headaches from reading posts for 3 hours a night lol. learning a lot though so its worth it

thanks guys
Nov 10, 2003, 09:00 PM
And You're Not
Try www.servocity.com They sell just TX, and they sell Hitec stuff at a good price. You ought to be able to get a good rig there!
Nov 10, 2003, 09:01 PM
Cool thanks for the link Jeff 8)
Nov 10, 2003, 09:04 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamSME
Hmmm, Im wondering, should I buy yak plans or build another 3dx??? Decisions decisions.
Sean
Buy the Yak plans, it will be new and interesting, not to mention being a better flyer, plus you will feel good about helping Tim for all he has done for all of us
Nov 10, 2003, 09:07 PM
hey yall

i was wondering, what size are the depron sheets that yall buy to build the yak? Depron usa has 6mm 19"x 27" and 13"x 39". what should i get? thanks again!

cary
Nov 10, 2003, 09:24 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
13"x39", and you need two sheets

Dan
Nov 10, 2003, 09:24 PM
And You're Not
13X39 so you can get the whole wing/fuse from a sheet without any splice in the middle..you'll need a couple sheets/plane.
Nov 10, 2003, 09:26 PM
And You're Not
LOL Dan, simulpost..I just ordered the flight gear for my second plane..a Yak it will be!
Nov 10, 2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks yall! Off to depron USA we go!

cary
Nov 10, 2003, 10:06 PM
depron usa sold out of white 6mm sheets
Nov 10, 2003, 10:18 PM
Depron was out of white 6mm sheets about two weeks ago when i last ordered form them. Carl sure does get a lot of business... WOW.
Nov 10, 2003, 10:24 PM
yak 40" wing make it 39" or splice and make 40" were to get 6mm 40" mat
Nov 10, 2003, 10:28 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally posted by cmwinc
depron usa sold out of white 6mm sheets
HHhhmmm...His site says the small sheets are on backorder. I made an order Saturday night and it didn't say anything about a backorder... Did you get this info via email, or how??
Nov 10, 2003, 10:34 PM
Wow ver 5 already!
Nov 10, 2003, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffery
HHhhmmm...His site says the small sheets are on backorder. I made an order Saturday night and it didn't say anything about a backorder... Did you get this info via email, or how??

was going to make order sunday night but seen were it was on backorder on website. have not made order yet
Nov 10, 2003, 10:52 PM
I went to lowe's but all I found some stuff called R-Tech insulfoam. The thinest stuff was 1/2 inch. Will this work?
Nov 10, 2003, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bobertperry
I went to lowe's but all I found some stuff called R-Tech insulfoam. The thinest stuff was 1/2 inch. Will this work?

i think it would be to thick.
Nov 10, 2003, 11:01 PM
And You're Not
Where are you seeing "BackOrder"?? I see it by the 13X19 sheet of White 6mm...and that's the only place..

Ok I did a refresh and now it says it by the 13X39 sheet of White 6mm. It didn't say that Saturday, got a confirmation. Maybe I bought the last of it??

Oh well, I have enough for a couple more planes..
Nov 10, 2003, 11:03 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Quote:
Originally posted by bobertperry
Bobertperry
No and no and no. Sorry, but it'll be too heavy. These planes are pretty forgiving in many ways, but they do not fly well when built too heavy.

The Fan Fold Foam you want is 3/16" to 1/4" thick. Get the blue kind. You can see several photos of wht it should look like at foamfly.com. Click on the link below and then find the "What is Fan-Fold?" link; pleanty of pictures, even a barcode to take to your local Lowes.

http://www.foamfly.com

Jeffrey:
I'm too lazy to do a major search. What was your successfull motor/gearbox/prop combo for your Himaxx motor?
Last edited by tolladay; Nov 10, 2003 at 11:05 PM.
Nov 10, 2003, 11:20 PM
Just Keep Swimming ju....
All i can is 1/2 inch foam aswell... I checked EVERYWERE... O well i geuss its depron or travel to fined the stuff...

ALex
Nov 10, 2003, 11:26 PM

ESC Settings...

I would think twice before stting the ESC for hard cut off. Get in a low hover and if it happens, hello terra firma.

Set it to soft cut off and it will give you some control.
Nov 10, 2003, 11:28 PM
DANG! I didn't even know there was a V5! And we're STILL in the trial forums?! LOL
Thanks for the nice words on the vids guys! Me and Joe McBride hooked up this last weekend and shot some great 3DX footage, not to mention some giant scale 3D stuff. It should be up on the website by the end of the week. Update your bookmarks: www.flyingcirkus.com
Here's a sneek peek of the video I just got done editing today. Hope you like Ozzy, baby. Welcome to the cirkus...

3DX Madness DSL/CABLE
3DX Madness DIALUP/56k
P.S.- If you have the time to download the DSL/CABLE file, it's worth the wait. Same video, but 640x480 and MUCH better quality! About 24mb
Last edited by rpvpilot; Nov 10, 2003 at 11:36 PM.
Nov 10, 2003, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by birdie_in_texas
hey rpvpilot...where do you work..? i just saw a video of you flying indoors in a place that looked like BVM or something...lots of jet fuse's hanging everywhere..

so what's up? tell us please..?

birdie
Hey there...I work at an RPV company in So. Calif. We fly giant scale RC planes as targets for the military. Stinger missles and .50 cal mostly. The ones you see hanging are retired. Old A-6's, A-10's, F-16's. Nowadays we just fly Su-25 Frogfoot's and Mi-24 Hind D's. High on the fun factor, low on the $$$ factor.
Nov 10, 2003, 11:47 PM
And You're Not

Re: ESC Settings...

Quote:
Originally posted by jon595
I would think twice before stting the ESC for hard cut off. Get in a low hover and if it happens, hello terra firma.

Set it to soft cut off and it will give you some control.
These settings are what I had on the Razor 300. It didn't like soft anything. Soft cut would send it shuddering. I admit I only flew it to LVC a couple of times before I re programmed, the shuddering was kinda freaking me out. On a hard cut I could know it was dead, re-arm and go. Soft start gave shudders, also. So I set everything hard/fast. We did land on the spinner once, but it didn't shudder

On the Himax 4100, I have never had a cut off. I could go back in and re program I guess for soft cut, it doesn't have the shudder.

Quote:
Jeffrey:
I'm too lazy to do a major search. What was your successfull motor/gearbox/prop combo for your Himaxx motor?
I am running the 2015 4100, D gears, 12X6 GWS, CC P10, 3S1P Etecs. Really can't say enough about this combo.
Nov 11, 2003, 04:29 AM
ProBro #261
Had some good fun in the sun today. This thing is an absolute blast, the perfect stress reliever. Its a bit heavy with extra paint and accessories, and a little underpowered with a stock 300 (not even a 350) but its so much fun to throw around.

Thanks Tim, I'll order the yak plans in a few days, just keep the designs comming.

Matt
Nov 11, 2003, 04:34 AM
ProBro #261
Will a brushless setup still ballistic on an E-tech 1200 2s pack or will it not be enough voltage?

I have much more use for a 2s pack than I do for a 3s pack.

Matt
Nov 11, 2003, 05:05 AM

Re: Re: ESC Settings...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffery
I am running the 2015 4100, D gears, 12X6 GWS, CC P10, 3S1P Etecs. Really can't say enough about this combo.
That's a very good news! I am planing to get Himax as well
but I think that 2015/3600 will better suit my other needs
as well.

I just wonder whether 3600 + GWS with C gears on 3xE-tecs
would be also so good?

Anybody tried already?

Thanks,
Jiri
Nov 11, 2003, 06:16 AM
Pro Bro #1008
Quote:
Originally posted by mc71
Will a brushless setup still ballistic on an E-tech 1200 2s pack or will it not be enough voltage?

I have much more use for a 2s pack than I do for a 3s pack.

Matt

i only have the 2S packs also...and on the razor 300 with "C" gears and 12x6 with phx-10 it is unbeatable...i have a LOT of fun...the only problem is finding a 300 to buy....if you can get one, then you will love it!

hope that helps some...

birdie
Nov 11, 2003, 06:18 AM
Pro Bro #1008
Quote:
Originally posted by rpvpilot
Hey there...I work at an RPV company in So. Calif. We fly giant scale RC planes as targets for the military. Stinger missles and .50 cal mostly. The ones you see hanging are retired. Old A-6's, A-10's, F-16's. Nowadays we just fly Su-25 Frogfoot's and Mi-24 Hind D's. High on the fun factor, low on the $$$ factor.

Way cool! so you get to fly drones for a living...man it must be great getting paid to fly r/c stuff..and it must be so fun to get to see it blow up!! hahahaha

you sure looked like you were having fun with the 3DX and the water balloon! thanks to you and Joe for the exciting vids Ryan...

birdie out
Nov 11, 2003, 06:56 AM
Flew my Mix Biplane today

Flew well but no knife edge :{ was a little windy to try much stuff
Nov 11, 2003, 07:08 AM
Pro Bro #1008
the bipe sure looks nice there yzygold! am glad you got to fly a little...we tried indoors yesterday, but i am too spastic and just smash things..!!

my poor little 3DX now needs a new gearbox, but at least i did not kill the razor!
Nov 11, 2003, 07:20 AM
rehsarCeoJ
rpvpilot

the vid is great.

excellent choice for the bg music.

joe
Nov 11, 2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks Now just gotta wait for my Himax!