Triple Tree Aerodrome
liteglow,

I sent my Compass to the following address:

North America Customers:

DJI Innovations
ATTENTION: COMPASS RECALL
2301 W Anderson Lane Suite 200
Austin, Tx 78757

This is the address that I received from DJI, when I filled out the form, in their original posting.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-mike View Post
Thanks guys for your input on gains. I set the gains to what Topper suggested since I figure it is better to start low and go up to avoid oscillations. I am running 5.14 since it has worked well for me on my F550. I test flew it this morning and a front went through last night and it has turned colder and pretty windy. My Accuweather app says 10mph. I used one 5000mah battery since I ran out of connectors to make a parallel adapter. It seemed to fly very well and was very stable in the wind. I do have one little concern though. In manual mode it took almost half throttle to lift off. The blades seemed to be turning pretty slowly though. Sometimes if I yawed quickly I could see a prop or two slow down to where I could see the individual blades rotating. I'm just wondering how it will do when I put a gimbal on it. I have a PhotoshipOne 3X Pro gimbal I'm going to try and mount to it with a DSLR. Will it have enough power to lift it? It could have been my battery though. I used an older lipo that I'm not sure of the condition. Maybe when I get my newer ones on it it will have a little more power.
As long as your weight stays below 7kg you should be ok. That being said i don't think you can achieve that with the setup you describe. I also have a 3x Pro V1 and i strapped it under an MK Octo. Weight of the head is around 1.5kg with everything on it except camera. If you put a 550D or similar your are at the limit. Anything heavier (7D or 5D) and you are too heavy.

S800 is a great platform for the Zenmuse. But honestly i would prefer a stiff carbon frame for any other head.
Oct 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
Fill out the form and that will get you a return Email with an RMA #.
Take that RMA# and send it to your dealer who will send you a new one.
No need for you to send it to China.
Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
any one here shipped their GPS back to the dealer ?
I got no reply where to ship my GPS, only a e-mail directly from DJI china.

should I send my GPS to DJI china, or to my dealer in US?

dont know what to do.
Oct 27, 2012, 10:54 AM
I got this adress:

DJI Innovations
ATTENTION: COMPASS RECALL
6/f, HKUST SZ IER BLDG, 9 YUEXING IST ROAD, HI-TECH PARK(South), Nanshan District,
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China. 518057

but I guess i have to ship to china because I live in Norway.
Oct 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
AEM
Anyone know if DJI will replace a V1 compass? I know DJI says that the V1 compass does not have any problems; but, I figure it would be better to be safe than sorry and have it replaced with the newer version with the firmware update. I sent DJI an e-mail about this already, and they simply said for me to contact my dealer (I am waiting to hear from them).
Oct 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
AEM

s800 Arm Mod

I created a very strong and lightweight arm modification. The arm is significantly more rigid, vertically, horizontally, and torsionally. It will BARELY flex when signficant manual forces are applied to it in all directions (the largest amount of flex is vertical flex between the motor mount and the end of the CF insert). And, if I may say so, it looks pretty decent.

Added mass: 4 grams per arm.

Basic operation: Cut a carbon fiber I-beam into two T-beams, cut a slit down the length of the s800 arm. Sand the CF insert with 80 grit, clean all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, rapidly run a propane torch flame over the s800 arm slit once or twice, fill the slit and coat the insert with G-Flex epoxy, insert the insert and clamp in place. The s800 arm curves upward VERY slighty along its length. However, a slight amount of pressure from the clamps causes the insert to conform to this shape.

Note: West Systems 655 thickened G-Flex epoxy is very strong boating epoxy that is perfect for the job. It has a working time of about 45 minutes, and is specifically designed to withstand vibrations and slight flex, all while being incredibly strong. It is also designed to bond to various plastics and varied materials. Its consistency is just right for the this job.
Last edited by AEMontoya; Oct 27, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Oct 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
AEM
Anyone know how many extra RX channels the retractable landing gear will take up? I'm thinking just one more, right?
Oct 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
Is there a way to tell a GPS receiver with the firmware bug from the one with the fix applied?
Oct 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
Stay airborne my friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman575 View Post
As long as your weight stays below 7kg you should be ok. That being said i don't think you can achieve that with the setup you describe. I also have a 3x Pro V1 and i strapped it under an MK Octo. Weight of the head is around 1.5kg with everything on it except camera. If you put a 550D or similar your are at the limit. Anything heavier (7D or 5D) and you are too heavy.

S800 is a great platform for the Zenmuse. But honestly i would prefer a stiff carbon frame for any other head.
Thanks for the input. Just for curiosity I strapped a 5lb. bottle of water to the S800 and lifted it. It hovered just barely above half stick and didn't seem to strain at all. Climb rate was still good and it didn't act overloaded at all. I didn't fly very long since it is very windy and the bottle was trying to swing. The S800 was handling it well but I didn't want to push my luck. I weighed my gimbal and it came out to 850g with servos and gyros installed on it. I will have to add a rx, battery, VTX maybe, etc. but I think it might work. I'm probably going to start out with a cheaper, lighter camera at first anyway. Maybe in the future I can get a zenmuse.
Oct 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
I created a very strong and lightweight arm modification. The arm is significantly more rigid, vertically, horizontally, and torsionally. It will BARELY flex when signficant manual forces are applied to it in all directions (the largest amount of flex is vertical flex between the motor mount and the end of the CF insert). And, if I may say so, it looks pretty decent.

Basic operation: Cut a carbon fiber I-beam into two T-beams, cut a slit down the length of the s800 arm. Sand the CF insert with 80 grit, clean all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, rapidly run a propane torch flame over the s800 arm slit once or twice, fill the slit and coat the insert with G-Flex epoxy, insert the insert and clamp in place. The s800 arm curves upward VERY slighty along its length. However, a slight amount of pressure from the clamps causes the insert to conform to this shape.

Note: West Systems 655 thickened G-Flex epoxy is very strong boating epoxy that is perfect for the job. It has a working time of about 45 minutes, and is specifically designed to withstand vibrations and slight flex, all while being incredibly strong. It is also designed to bond to various plastics and varied materials. Its consistency is just right for the this job.
I really like it. Simple and looks good...
Thanks for sharing
Oct 27, 2012, 08:08 PM
zzr
zzr
DEAF-POWER
Good idea. It's looks very cool.

Quote:

Oct 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
zzr
zzr
DEAF-POWER
I guess use a "Y" cable to connect the two servos but use extra channel or set up to work with the throttle stick through a program mix.

Quote:
Anyone know how many extra RX channels the retractable landing gear will take up? I'm thinking just one more, right?
Oct 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:

very good mod

where do you finds carbon I beam, please ?

jdm66
Last edited by jdm66; Oct 28, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Oct 28, 2012, 06:41 PM
Oupsssssssss

Dragon plate
Oct 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
aka RacingFPV aka HAMM3RDOWN
I've been thinking of how to create a cover for the brains of this beast, starting to think that a couple of umbrellas and a lot of velcro might be a good starting point? Any ideas out there? This is for the S800 btw...

Quick Reply