Looks like this is a 520
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2020, 02:21 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !

Another R/C Mfg??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird
HIR/Cer,

Green pc board on the far right is a Jensen Jet Models RF deck, FCC transmitter data KH8-RFD1. I have two of them, from don't know when, and one of them ended up in this ACE R/C five-channel. I bought this transmitter from someone here on RCG a few years ago. Seller said it was one of Tom Runge's personal transmitters. Some years after getting these from Jensen, I tried to contact him and could not. Will probably take it to 2.4 some day, as FM receivers are getting a bit difficult to find.

KraftyOne,

Is that board to the left side an FMA? Didn't recognise it. I have the paperwork for the Jensen, but have no idea where it went Don't know if it is positive or negative FSK.

Is there anything special I should look out for when going to 2.4? I have a few FrSky RF decks to install and will use one for this radio, which still has the original encoder.
The board on the left is from Ace R/C, on the right is the board that HIR/Cer said "COULD" be an FMA Direct product, which you have identified as being from "Jensen Jet Models". WHO??

A quick search found nothing about R/C, just guitar amps and speakers, and a few snide remarks on R/C Universe that searching about "Jensen Jet Models" was a bit of a joke.

What is the story, guys?

P.S. If you can post a pic of the Ace encoder, someone here will be able to give you some info about hooking it up to 2.4GHz.
Jan 23, 2020, 10:29 AM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter
I have both of those modules, in fact several of each, and put them on eBay. I also have a 72 MHz AM module for a Proline up for auction.
Jan 23, 2020, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer

Received the TX modules also, I believe the unidentified larger module must have been made by FMA Direct, but could not find any pix from Google.
I did recall FMA Direct selling the FM TX modules back then and needed verification, without any luck. However, Google to the rescue, a few posts in RC Universe does confirm both FMA Direct and eventually Jensen's Jet Models did produce them. Judging from the FCC Type Acceptance sticker on Balsabird's TX, he must have a Jensen's Jet module.

Those FMA/Jensen's Jet modules had multilayered PC boards, the backside shown below.
Last edited by HIR/Cer; Jan 23, 2020 at 04:49 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 02:34 PM
Oldrndrt RCav8r

Proline Competition Series Manual

Bossee,

Several years ago, [post #232 in this forum] you posted a link to the manual for the Proline Competition Series radio. That link no longer works for me. Would you happen to still have the pdf file that link went to?

Thanks in advance

Have a Blessed Day
George Waldrop
AMA #L1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
It is the trainer button when You have two Pro Line radios connected with a teacher-student Cable.
One transmitter as teacher and the other as student and then the teacher press the button and student have control, release the button and teacher have control.
I have the Pro Line Competition Series 7 ch 1975 manual as PDF, maybe of some help to You:
http://www.algonet.se/~boem/RC/ProLi...975_Manual.pdf

/Bo
Jan 23, 2020, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd
Now that I have officially tried to pawn off the leftovers, I need a little help

Of course you all know I just wanted the Transmitter. Any idea when it was made? I found some old ads they imply they may have been making it in 1978 but I know they made them for a long time. Any one know when they switched to the plastic case?

This is only a 4 channel, metal case, that says its a model 820.

Scott
Perhaps. Don't know offhand what came first, the model 810?

The Mac's set with the plastic cased TX that I had mentioned previously in an earlier post was advertised in the December 1978 issue of RCM but had the larger Dunham servos, not the micro servos and RX. Note that the TX is a model 810.

Saved a pix of the Cannon sets a while back from a 1978 catalog, below.

Did post a photo of an eBay auction with the plastic cased small Cannon TX and micro servos last year; the winning bid was over a hundred. Had not seen a Cannon TX with its nameplate having a light background before. Your eBay find is still in their website as a completed listing.

Have Cannon literature from the late '80s but they have been moved and scattered about since the burglary eleven years ago. Believe Cannon introduced their micro sets in the late 1980s.
Last edited by HIR/Cer; Jan 23, 2020 at 03:38 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 08:40 PM

FMA TX Module

Years ago I had purchased an RFD1FM Tx module from FMA intending to put it in the Micropro 8K I was assembling. After reading the included manual about the Miller Integrator issue, I decided to use the module in a Silver Seven TX I had built earlier with my own copies of the Proline sticks used in the MP8K. Although the manual for the FM module recommended mounting it on the back of the case, I put it under the top in the usual location for the AM module. Mounting it on the case back seemed like it would be problematic if the back needed to be removed. In any case the module fit OK under the top of the case and performed just fine. I dug out the manual for the FMA module and scanned it to post here along with a photo of the SS Tx insides. A couple of years ago I converted the MP8K Tx to 2.4 using an interface board and a Spektrum Tx module. I really love the old Ace stuff!

-Ron
Jan 25, 2020, 10:48 PM
Ron, thank you for posting the FMA RFD1FM manual. A couple years ago I was able to download FMA manuals, had purchased a couple FMA small AM receivers on 6 meters, and found what I wanted without any problems.

Your copies of the Proline sticks do look great, even sturdier than the original Prolines! Enjoyed building kits myself from the first Cannon 5 channel, and the only subsequent radios I did build were two of the Ace Silver Seven sets with the Digital Commander receivers, purchased prior to the inclusion of the Silver Seven RXs.
Jan 26, 2020, 04:42 PM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter

Cannon systems

I seem to recall that Cannon made several versions of the plastic cased transmitters:
Cannon brand, Mac's brand, and Charlies brand. Mac's was based on orders he got from Southern California based hobby shops at the MAC show (model arts and crafts) from major local hobby shops. Bill Cannon gave them an exclusive deal and a good price based on a large order. To avoid a conflict with his established distributors and dealers, he changed the name to Mac's so it could not be said he was selling Cannon radios to certain dealers and undercutting other dealers/distributors. The Mac's were a tan if my memory still serves me correctly.

Charlene, Bill Cannon's wife, had an exclusive on a simple 4 channel orange colored plastic cased version called Charlie's R/C. Charlene was known by everyone as Charlie. This was Bill Cannons way of direct marketing his radios systems.

I think the metal cased versions were still available up to around 1980, and sold for more. Cannon offered several versions of airborne systems including the Tiny Twin, and later, the micro, followed by the super-micro. With Cannon radios, you could call them and order just about any combo you wanted, as Bill would build custom ordered systems.
Jan 26, 2020, 07:37 PM

Cannon

I dug through my old radios and found these two Cannons. The black one is in an aluminum case. I thought I had a greenish Cannon somewhere.

Joel
Last edited by joel_l; Jan 27, 2020 at 12:17 AM.
Jan 28, 2020, 02:44 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
georgewaldrop,
I attach the Pro Line Competition Series (1975) Competition Series Instruction Manual inserts here in this post. I do not know if it was some additional manual shipped with Pro Line radios at that time but with mine I only have the one I post here. I post also a Pro Line catalog 1976 I found somewhere on internet just in case it may contain something of value (not sure if they changed anything from 1975 to 1976).

/Bo
Jan 28, 2020, 08:24 PM
Oldrndrt RCav8r

Thanks!

Bo,

Thanks for re-posting these.

They're of use to me as I have several Proline radios I want to use...I may retrofit/ upgrade them but want to explore restoring them before I do that...thanks again.

Have a Blessed Day
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
georgewaldrop,
I attach the Pro Line Competition Series (1975) Competition Series Instruction Manual inserts here in this post. I do not know if it was some additional manual shipped with Pro Line radios at that time but with mine I only have the one I post here. I post also a Pro Line catalog 1976 I found somewhere on internet just in case it may contain something of value (not sure if they changed anything from 1975 to 1976).

/Bo
Jan 28, 2020, 08:34 PM
TAFTS
As a reminder, I'm on the lookout for a Proline 3
Jan 29, 2020, 04:18 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !

FMA Direct RFD1FM boards, (or RF decks).

Thanks to all you guys who posted about the FMA/Jensen RF boards. the story line seems pretty clear now.

I had not heard of Jensen Jet Models, (not surprising down here in the bush), and was interested to find out why they claimed to be manufacturing the FMA (or a similar board). I know FMA have their boards made in SE Asia, I have been using a Cellpro 4 as my main LiPo field charger for years.

So FMA discontinue the RFD1FM board in 2003 to concentrate on battery charging technology, and JJM, who have backorders for the item, buy/license the technology and order from (presumably) the same OS manufacturer for supply. Q.E.D. It was interesting to see that FMA also developed the Ace 11G9FMCD FM decks.

Using the Way Back Machine, I was able to look at the Jensen Jet Models web sites, first 2002/08 thru to 2005/04, there is no mention of the RFD1FM board on any of them. I deduce that Marv Jensen was born around the same time as me, and I admire his energy in starting a up a new business around the time I was hastening towards my third, (and final) retirement...
Jan 29, 2020, 05:19 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_G
Heres an idea - if you use a single rail-to-rail op-amp per-pot (eg LMV321), you could mount one directly onto each set of pot tags
I drew a picture with my Christmas crayons
Ok an update, this was an experiment with 1MΩ linear pot driving a 328P analogue input. These high value pots are sometimes found on the elevator stick (ie pulse rate) of old Galloping-Ghost or analogue proportional sets.

Normally of course a megohm is way too high for the input impedance of the 328P, hence the need to change something. One 'mechanical' way is to change out the stick pot. Or, you could correct in software. My own preference is easy and much less prone to pickup - use a buffer.

I made up a small stripboard buffer, using a single MCP6021 which is a common-or-garden rail-to-rail 5v op-amp and cheap as chips.
The result is it works perfectly, no different to a 5k pot, no noise pick-up or RF problems, it just works. I also did a small PCB layout (top of 3rd photo) to mount directly onto the pot tags. The buffer simply sits inline in the 3-wire pot cable, pos 5v, neg and wiper.
In the first & second photos the input from the pot is on the left, and output to the encoder on the right.

Conclusion - yes we can use 1MΩ linear stick pots without having to physically swap them out for lower values
Last edited by Phil_G; Feb 09, 2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply