Oct 21, 2019, 09:26 PM
I like the old gold edition radio's I have 3 and would like to convert them to 2,4 and use them again any advice would be grateful
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 10:09 PM
The simplest would be as described here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=79
Works with the FrSky module sold here:
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-dft-f...ry-module.html
PM me if you need the spacer.
Oct 22, 2019, 08:44 PM
thanks that.s what I want
Oct 24, 2019, 12:32 AM
Tower (Sanwa) pics, from RCG:
Oct 26, 2019, 03:53 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !

Adventures in Arduino Land.

I was looking at a row of gold boxes, pondering the next project when a flash of blue caught my eye, and that's when it happened. Next thing I found myself reading Phil_Gs' reeduino articles and working out what I needed to order.

Now, before this happened, all I knew about Arduino was that they sold PIC boards with funny names... I had purchased a MEGA 2560 board years ago for an OpenTX project, but that was still sitting on the shelf. So I ordered a few bits and carried on reading while rewiring the little OS Minitron 6, and designing and building a breakout board, (and MORE reading).

I will not bore you (or further embarrass myself), by listing all the silly mistakes I made along the journey, but one was the board I thought I ordered was not the one that arrived, and I had to re-design and build a new "Sheild". But I have learnt to read "Sketches" and make minor changes. I can now program ATtinys using my MEGA 2560 board.

Scott, it did take more than a couple of days!! Also many thanks to Phil_G and the crew at singlechannel.co.uk and mode-zero.uk, (and many others in Arduino Land). The Kraft 3ch is waiting for its' RF module. (Slow Boat from China).
Oct 26, 2019, 03:57 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Well done Eric thats a superb result
Reeds flying is so satisfying, one of my most enjoyable days slope-soaring was with a Veron Impala, fitted with Remcon reeds, on Callow bank... a 50 year time-warp for me... as a young teenager I was there with the same model, with the same gear, on the same slope - absolute blissful nostalgia. So much so that I've fallen into a bit of a Reeds Impala 'thing'....
Single Channel is unbeatable for challenge vs reward but I find flying reeds is so much more relaxed - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

The Reeduino code will run on pretty much any 328P board, but the easiest and probably cheapest is definitely the DIY-More 'Strong' board from ebay.

Love that OS Minitron!

Cheers
Phil
Last edited by Phil_G; Oct 29, 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Oct 27, 2019, 09:28 AM
TAFTS
Awesome job Eric!

The board Phil mentions is great. I always keep a few extras around. Stick his 7Ch code on there and it will just work! It will be great for the 3 channel Kraft. Keep us posted

Damn you Phil! You're going to make me build an Impala on a Reed set for the Katie tribute next year. Now to find a box...
Oct 27, 2019, 12:06 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Hi Scott, somehow I have 5 Impalas but actually my favourite is the 75% one (with the Orbit 10), _AL_ also built one at 75% if you remember. Flies great and very convenient!
Oct 28, 2019, 04:57 AM
Slow builder
I love my 70%Impala. Great fun on a coastal slope in a nice gentle breeze.

Al

(5 min 1 sec)
Last edited by _AL_; Oct 28, 2019 at 05:04 AM.
Oct 28, 2019, 05:11 AM

OS Minitron 6

Thanks Guys, I am very happy with the "project" result.

The only external change (other than the antenna) was to move the trim button to the case top for easier access during flight, and use its' old position for the Assan module LED. The board is actually a "Pro Mini Atmega 168 Module 5V 16M Arduino", I had ordered an Arduino Pro Mini board without doing much reading or paying attention to the fine print, (they are all the same, are they not?)... My Veroboard shield has a trimpot for transit speed, and pins for ATV and buzzer, (not fitted yet).

I only flew a reed set briefly in the early 1960s', an old OS 10ch, full of valves and relays. This was in-between my S/C & GG period, and finally getting an analog propo 3ch rig built and working. I am restoring an old SIG Senior Cadet for the Minitron 6, it will be similar to the models I flew back then.
Oct 28, 2019, 06:38 AM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter
The Impala is similar to a Marks Windward, which was popular here in the 1970s due it's very simple construction.

I have done over 6 Phil-G reed conversions, it's fun to show people how we used to do it "way back when" . Best part is you can use a buddy box in case your thumbs get tied in a knot working the reed toggles!!!!
Oct 28, 2019, 10:45 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Hi,
I have some old radios, see below. Some I have used myself in my early RC life, some I have bought much later for intention of convertion them to 2.4 GHz.

I had some crazy idea to use an old Orbit Reed (same as Ed Kazmirski used when he won 1960 WC in RC-1/F3A) and another slightly newer Orbit Reed (same as Tom Brett used when he won WC 1962). I have a Top Flite Orion kit (Ed Kazmirski design) and a deBolt Perigee kit (Tom Brett design) that I have plan to use the Orbit Reed radios in. But I have never flown Reed (I have flown proportional since 1973). I may need a Reed trainer plane first, preferably a low wing with ailerons that fly stable almost like a trainer so I can get the feeling and learn until I do not have to think how to fly on Reed. The flipping of all the "switches" when flying full house Reed seems complicated to me.
But the two Orbit Reed radios I have need to be converted to 2.4 GHz first etc and maybe the flip switches need replacement also. All electronics inside them must go out of corse then.

I have also some old proportional radios I have plans to convert to 2.4 GHz.
For example my very first radio, a Robbe 4 ch (actually a Futaba) FP-T4 from 1972.
And an EK logictrol super pro 7 ch from 1975. All on AM 27 MHz today.
And some more, see below.

My desire would be to throw out as much old electronics from the transmitters and add needed new electronics in them. The sticks may be left in there (new pots is probably wise to mount). These radios would not be used that much so little wear and tear but they must be very safe to use otherwise I do not dare to use them.
Normally I use a more modern radio (at present a Futaba T14MZ).
I do not have my thumbs in middle of my hands but I have not that much electronics knowledge. I can solder, I understand reasonably well a schematic but I can not say when I open a TX that this is that and such. I do recognice resistors, condensators, pots and such. Have built some glowdriver and such in past but never done anything really inside a transmitter.

Some of the radios I have plan to convert to 2.4 GHz in due time is below. I have read on Phils excellent pages at singlechannel.co.uk and some I understand, some I do not. But I suppose I need to get started. Maybe start with one of the proportinal first, then one of the Orbit Reeds (and try to buy and mount a Reeds emulation encoder from Phil).

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Nov 02, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Oct 28, 2019, 05:11 PM
Nice radios bossee, I hope you can get them all working to your satisfaction. If you can follow circuit diagrams and make "good quality" solder joints, you are well on the way.

Reliability comes from good quality soldering and attention to detail. We all know that one little missed item can mean disaster in R/C flying. As an elderly R/C hacker, I can still usually produce good solder joints, but some days if I am a little "out of sorts" and a bit shaky, I know it's time to leave the workbench for the day and read a book.

Your Proline Tx would be a good candidate for a Ron Ellis encoder. but they are a bit hard to source if you are not in the USA. (Thanks to Mel Duval for helping me get a couple).

Good luck,
Eric.
Oct 28, 2019, 11:20 PM
Some really nice vintage radios, and reeds at that! Need more videos of today's reed radio flying.

My recent vintage project competed and maidened last month, below. The Wanderer 99 is surprisingly slow, controlled by an unconverted old Pro Line.

BTW, will hunt for the pix of my C&S reed TX/RX, a nice story behind it.
Oct 29, 2019, 02:34 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer
... Need more videos of today's reed radio flying.
Nice videos from the past, how reeds flying works, can be seen here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...OLOR-videos%21

Scroll down to the two videos:
How to fly pattern with reed (Orbit 10)
Part 1
Part 2

/Bo

Quick Reply