The new KK2 FC, info and Q&A in first post. Read it before asking a question. - Page 27 - RC Groups
Aug 13, 2012, 03:42 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polleke
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to avoid an extra ESC on the "Flying Wing/Airplane" mode of the HK KK2 board?
In the additional manual of Kapteinkuk it says: "3: Connect a BEC to output#8, to supply the servos."
This means you need an EXTRA ESC for the servo's.
I did that and this works, but I want to avoid this extra ESC. (extra cables, extra chance on failure, extra malfunction, extra weight and so on)
I've tried an Y-cable from RX to M8 and ESC, but that does not seem to work, because the motor does not start.
Is there perhaps an other solution?
Hi,

Have a look at my post a few pages back of my KK2 in my AXN.
Short story - DON'T DO IT. Servos on the 5V line cause brown outs that reset the processor.
You don't want that...

HS
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2012, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Looking at the code:

I guess you get this error: "Sensor raw - data data out of limits"
Or "Sensor calibration - data data out of limits"

And the reason is this:

.equ GyroLowLimit = 500
.equ GyroHighLimit = 630

.equ AccLowLimit = 450
.equ AccHighLimit = 850

If gyro reading or Acc reading is outside this range, then your sensor is declared as defected by the firmware ...

What do you read on the sensor test ?

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Hello e_lm

i have to check the original error message, i just wrote what was in my mind.

-->all of the gyros are Not Ok

Thanks!
Aug 13, 2012, 03:47 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by srepfler
Stable as Gps Hold.
Was that with autolevel on or off?
(I'm betting it was off )
Aug 13, 2012, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad3007
Hello e_lm

i have to check the original error message, i just wrote what was in my mind.

-->all of the gyros are Not Ok

Thanks!
Can you report the value of the gyro ?
The Not OK, is after the number

Does these value make a sense ?

It maybe just change the scale ... so maybe a new firmware can fix it ... but ... most likely there is a hardware problem on your board ... it could even be some dirt on the PCB

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Aug 13, 2012, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays
Autolevel ON is fine ... as long as there is no wind

Else it sucks ...

But ... on my microQuad ... with limited orientation AutoLevel on is really take away all the stress ... I just need a magnetometer for fix the heading ... I just order one from eBay for 7$ ... let see

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Aug 13, 2012, 04:05 AM
Hello,

i ll post the values tonight.

thank u for ur help. i think i ll have to order a new one......to bad but thats it....

greetings MaD
Aug 13, 2012, 04:39 AM
Quote:
I use AVR studio 4, and it's as easy as making a new project, selecting processor type and processor speed, adding all the files then compiling them.

Regarding the lack of a schematic, you can work out all you need to know by looking at the I/O definition files of either KK's or my code.
I can figure out the schematics but it would have been less of a pain if Kk would have just posted it along with the firmware update(doesnt make a difference though) I vaguely remember him saying that he would release the schematics at the first update now i will have to backtrack and look for that post
Aug 13, 2012, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter
I can figure out the schematics but it would have been less of a pain if Kk would have just posted it along with the firmware update(doesnt make a difference though) I vaguely remember him saying that he would release the schematics at the first update now i will have to backtrack and look for that post
In the source code you can see all the pin from the CPU to the board.

What else do you need ?

As well ... with a little tested you can easily check all the exposed pin in the board ... anyhow, it is a trivial job to reverse engineer the KK2.0 PCB ... but why KK should open the HW design ... maybe by contract with HobbyKing or the PCB producer, Mr. KK can't disclose it

It does not sound a big thing to me

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Aug 13, 2012, 05:48 AM
Sweden
Quote:

I found this answer from KapteinKUK
The hardware is closed.

posted 29 Jun
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUERGEN_
the price is hot.

gratulation kapteinkuk

where can I find the schematic?
Aug 13, 2012, 06:09 AM

Flies good when close to the ground, then one engine drops...

Hi all again.

My Quad starts nice. I have autolevel on (not flashed with newest firmware).
It keeps flying nice when I have it 1-3 meters above ground, and 5-6 meters from me...

When I go higher, one motor drops suddenly, just quickly... then back to normal, makes the quad go down a bit and aside....

Strange behaviour....

750kv
Turnigy Plush 30A (not flashed)
Really ugly wood frame made by me
Turnigy TX/RX
Turnigy 2200 35-70C acc

I will try to upload a video of this later, but if anyone has a clue?

PI Editor:
P Gain: 50
P Limit: 100
I Gain: 25
I Limit: 20

Yaw
P Gain: 80
P Limit: 20
I Gain/Limit: 0

Self Level on
P Gain: 50
P Limit: 60
I Gain: 25
I Limit: 0

Thanks for your support!
Aug 13, 2012, 06:17 AM
Hulk likes flying things
Is it always the same motor?
If so then, obviously the connections for that motor/esc combo need attention.
Weak esc possibly.
Aug 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosjduenfs
I just flashed the new firmware and that fixed my jittering tail servo problem but I'm still have problems with the throttle pulsing. In this video P is set to 30 and I to 0 for pitch and roll. The lower I take the gain the better it gets but then it gets too lazy. Has anyone else had problems with throttle pulsing?

I'm trying me best to keep the tri in one place but the gains are low and the throttle pulsing is killing me.
Have you tried reducing the Stick Scaling for Ch3 (Throttle), it may help.
Did you check actual end points on the Rx test, I had to raise my low end and lower high end, as they were well past 0 and 100 respectively, my throtlle is very linear now and no pulsing.

Thats using Simon K flashed ESC's on my Tricopter and original firmware on board.
Aug 13, 2012, 07:14 AM
Who put that tree there?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Autolevel ON is fine ... as long as there is no wind

Else it sucks ...

But ... on my microQuad ... with limited orientation AutoLevel on is really take away all the stress ... I just need a magnetometer for fix the heading ... I just order one from eBay for 7$ ... let see

Tchuss

e_lm_70
how will you add this to the kk2?
Aug 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabu32
how will you add this to the kk2?
2 possible way:

Independent ... like a single gyro for an helicopter ... just put a "micro-board" that take the Yaw signal, and an "AUX" signal .. an has a signal out that goes to the KK2.0 ... in theory this can be done with some ATtiny chip or nano Arduino + the 7$ magnetometer (it use i2c signals)

KK2.0 integrated ... using CPPM mode , these are 4 free pin usable ... I will need to double check if the i2c can be plug there ... or it can go over the 6pin plug for flashing ....

I did use ATmega-ATtiny stuff for read servo and serial ... but not experience with i2c ... but it is supported.

In quantity a 3axes magnetometer chip cost now less then 1$ ... I think it is time for the Kapitan to use in his boards

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Aug 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie
It can be found here under the purple files tab near the bottom of the page:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
This file on Hobbyking is identical to the one posted in this thread a few days ago.
Aug 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
Hi Guys,

I have made my first flip ever with this board! I am very glad to have it,
my second is already on the way.
Thanks kapteinkuk!

HK KK2.0 diy quad aerobatics (flip) (3 min 27 sec)

I am generally a careful person so I have not reflashed my board yet.
I will not do that anyway, until the AHRS implementation arrives.
I simply do not need any of the new features, except the fast autolevel,
that can be useful while flying fpv.
Aug 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks Erknie I appreciate the link.
Aug 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks.

I tried some more and it seems like it is M1 doing this magic stunts....

Will check the soldering and check the ESC and see if I can find something out.

Thanks for your reply sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx-0
Is it always the same motor?
If so then, obviously the connections for that motor/esc combo need attention.
Weak esc possibly.
Aug 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
I just flashed My Board And Really Great Firmware kk the Only difference i noticed is that the aux self leveling enable function of the kk board has reversed itself so you need to provide a pulse greater than 1500ms at the aux to enable self leveling which was a bit of pain to do on my 4 channel tri-copter running on a hobby king 4 channel radio..as I had to attach the spare channel on my receiver to the aux channel on the board by a simple servo extension cable but that is nothing .....I loved the stick response on this and the stick scaling function had to be toned down a bit this is just great looking forward to the AHRS firmware (The servo filter is also great)...
Aug 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
I just flashed the new firmware and that fixed my jittering tail servo problem but I'm still have problems with the throttle pulsing. In this video P is set to 30 and I to 0 for pitch and roll. The lower I take the gain the better it gets but then it gets too lazy. Has anyone else had problems with throttle pulsing?
This sounds exactly like what I am experiencing with my quad. My P gain has to be set very low, around 30-35, in order to get any stability, but throttle seems very touchy. Lowering gain further seems to help with the throttle, but then then it becomes very unresponsive. I keep reading about people with gains set upwards of 100-150, and I cannot even come close to those numbers without introducing severe oscillations.

I tried lowering my throttle scaling as well as flattening the center portion of my throttle curve in the transmitter, but it is still very difficult to maintain constant altitude.

I am working on some vibration issues before I troubleshoot any further. My props were balanced for my initial testing, but I hadn't balanced my motors. I also noticed a good amount of vibration coming from cheap, unbalanced prop adapters, so I have a new set on order. I'm hoping a fully balanced system will make things easier to tune.
Aug 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Has a fixed FW been released yet?

Thanks,
Chris
Aug 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Or would the original FW be available so that we can flash it back?
Aug 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pberge
I am working on some vibration issues before I troubleshoot any further. My props were balanced for my initial testing, but I hadn't balanced my motors. I also noticed a good amount of vibration coming from cheap, unbalanced prop adapters, so I have a new set on order. I'm hoping a fully balanced system will make things easier to tune.
The calibration problem definitely seems to make my kk2 more vibration-sensitive. I re-mounted it using some soft weather-stripping foam plus some double sided tape and that helped a lot with the throttle pulsing. I can set the Pgains to 80 and while I can still tell that a little throttle pulsing is still going on (more noticeable when wind hits it), it's pretty stable and I can fly it as well as I've ever been able to. Motor balancing is a pain...
Aug 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
do you need to recalibrate the ESC's after flashing to the new FW? I seem to be seeing quite a few posts on that particular subject
Aug 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
do you need to recalibrate the ESC's after flashing to the new FW? I seem to be seeing quite a few posts on that particular subject
I didn't
Aug 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax
The calibration problem definitely seems to make my kk2 more vibration-sensitive. I re-mounted it using some soft weather-stripping foam plus some double sided tape and that helped a lot with the throttle pulsing. I can set the Pgains to 80 and while I can still tell that a little throttle pulsing is still going on (more noticeable when wind hits it), it's pretty stable and I can fly it as well as I've ever been able to. Motor balancing is a pain...
My kk board is mounted using foam gyro tape. I already balanced my motors using my iPhone with a seismograph app sitting on the arm. They were only off by a little, so the process wasn't too bad. They aren't perfect, but significantly better than before.

As soon as I put the prop adapters on the vibrations get really bad, so I am not doing any further testing until I get that worked out. I have these adapters on order, which came recommended in another thread on here. While I wait for those, I am going to try standard M5 nuts in place of the cone shaped ones which seem to be the main cause of the vibration for me.
Aug 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
My kk board is mounted using foam gyro tape. I already balanced my motors using my iPhone with a seismograph app sitting on the arm. They were only off by a little, so the process wasn't too bad. They aren't perfect, but significantly better than before.

As soon as I put the prop adapters on the vibrations get really bad, so I am not doing any further testing until I get that worked out. I have these adapters on order, which came recommended in another thread on here. While I wait for those, I am going to try standard M5 nuts in place of the cone shaped ones which seem to be the main cause of the vibration for me.
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find something similar for android.

My motor shafts point down so I'm pretty much stuck with the screw-on variety. I haven't checked vibration with the cones on - that's a good point.

You're well ahead of me already Good luck!
Aug 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find something similar for android.

My motor shafts point down so I'm pretty much stuck with the screw-on variety. I haven't checked vibration with the cones on - that's a good point.

You're well ahead of me already Good luck!
The app for android is "vibrometer"
Aug 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbcom
The app for android is "vibrometer"
Thanks! Downloaded... and pounding my desk here at work
Aug 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285
I didn't
ok cool...i wouldnt think you would need too...
Aug 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285
I didn't
Hey esc's wont calibrate on my kk2 which is flashed with the v2 firmware there is no option for that either even though the procedure to do it is the same I cant get it to work with my setup I have a basic 4 channel 2.4 ghz radio from hobby king it does not have any lcd or computerized stuff...and my esc's are the turnigy plush 18-20amp unflashed I have full throttle stick when i switch on the radio while holding buttons 1,4 I plug in the battery but all the screen says is calibrating esc's without any beeps from the esc's to confirm the calibration... in fact the calibration does not take place I think this has something to do with the welcome flash screen on the lcd ...anyone gotten over this problem and successfully calibrated the esc's on a kk2 with the new firmware on
Aug 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
As soon as I put the prop adapters on the vibrations get really bad, so I am not doing any further testing until I get that worked out. I have these adapters on order, which came recommended in another thread on here. While I wait for those, I am going to try standard M5 nuts in place of the cone shaped ones which seem to be the main cause of the vibration for me.[/QUOTE]

I finally put nuts and washers on my hex as I couldn't get the vibs down to a reasonable level. Used washers under the nuts but found that they didn't fit the shaft tightly and would not center so took some thin acteate sheet and cut strips and put that on the shaft and slid the washer over and that centered it, then put the nuts on and balanced the hub and prop using a 1/8" shaft that the hub fit. I've done this on all 4 of my multi rotors.
Aug 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
C'mon Man!
Quote:

Let me know how those M5 nuts work out. I'm looking to get rid of my cone shape collets because of the vibrations.
Aug 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Hey esc's wont calibrate on my kk2 which is flashed with the v2 firmware there is no option for that either even though the procedure to do it is the same I cant get it to work with my setup I have a basic 4 channel 2.4 ghz radio from hobby king it does not have any lcd or computerized stuff...and my esc's are the turnigy plush 18-20amp unflashed I have full throttle stick when i switch on the radio while holding buttons 1,4 I plug in the battery but all the screen says is calibrating esc's without any beeps from the esc's to confirm the calibration... in fact the calibration does not take place I think this has something to do with the welcome flash screen on the lcd ...anyone gotten over this problem and successfully calibrated the esc's on a kk2 with the new firmware on
A method was mentioned to switch Arm mode from "Stick" to "On" ie its armed all the while.
Power down, remove props for safety.

Tx on Full throttle then holding Buttons 1 and 4 power up ESC's and board, wait for beeps, Throttle down, Beep.
Power off, Power up as normal and reset Arm to "Stick", power down and refit props.

Not sure wher I saw it but it supposedly gets the V1.1 software ESC calibration to work until KK releases his fixed Firmware.
Aug 13, 2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
A method was mentioned to switch Arm mode from "Stick" to "On" ie its armed all the while.

Tx on Full throttle then holding Buttons 1 and 4 power up ESC's and board, wait for beeps, Throttle down, Beep.
Power off, Power up as normal and reset Arm to "Stick", power down and refit props.

Not sure wher I saw it but it supposedly gets the V1.1 software ESC calibration to work until KK releases his fixed Firmware.
oooookeeeeyyy
a new and weird way to get the calibration working but kk has ended up in the very place which he wanted to avoid i.e making the esc;s calibration safer as this sounds like recipe for disaster if it does not work out this way...for some noobs..

i will get back for more on this
Aug 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hi there, this is a short movie of my flying wing with kk2 board on a pretty strong wind.
Aripa FPV 11 aug 2012 Romosel (17 min 25 sec)
Aug 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
Custom quad builder
Quote:
oooookeeeeyyy
a new and weird way to get the calibration working but kk has ended up in the very place which he wanted to avoid i.e making the esc;s calibration safer as this sounds like recipe for disaster if it does not work out this way...for some noobs..

i will get back for more on this
You don't have to hold 1&4 down
Aug 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Custom quad builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by serjuro
Hi there, this is a short movie of my flying wing with kk2 board on a pretty strong wind.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5CUYrgKrIY
How did you make the glasses
Aug 13, 2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Have you tried reducing the Stick Scaling for Ch3 (Throttle), it may help.
Did you check actual end points on the Rx test, I had to raise my low end and lower high end, as they were well past 0 and 100 respectively, my throtlle is very linear now and no pulsing.

Thats using Simon K flashed ESC's on my Tricopter and original firmware on board.
I'll give it a shot.
Aug 13, 2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:

For what it's worth, this method did not work for me. I'm patiently waiting for the fix to be released. And when I say patiently, that means refreshing this forum every 30 seconds until I see it posted.
Aug 13, 2012, 03:10 PM

Help this old man please

Ive tried all day to download the updates for the KK2,ive managed to extract the files for bot the driver and KK2,I go into device manager get so far then,it wont go any further,can some one please give me the easy way to go about this please.The Naza was easy compared to this.Please O please help me yours,Marty.
Aug 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
For what it's worth, this method did not work for me. I'm patiently waiting for the fix to be released. And when I say patiently, that means refreshing this forum every 30 seconds until I see it posted.
You wait that long??
Aug 13, 2012, 03:32 PM

Some question about FC position

A quick question from a relative nube.

When you mount the FC do you try to hit CG or the geometric center of the quad?
It Seems that with the multiwii they wanted CG and with the KK I saw reference to Geometric center, which would be the center of rotation.

Which is Best?

Also , when doing esc calibrations, why not just take a servo extension, cut the Red wire and install a simple switch. When you use this to calibrate you esc just install the "switch extension" into the number 1 motor Jack on the FC and the other end of extension into th esc plug.

Will this harm the FC?
Aug 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
...muy bien...
Simple question: It's possible to hook up Spektrum satellite receivers straight to mwc boards without using a main receiver.

Other products like MICROBEAST which is able to process many types of sum signals (PPM / S-BUS / Spektrum). With the optional Spektrum Satellite Adapter, installation in indoor model helicopters is also possible without a great number of wires.

The same goes for OpenPilot CopterControl. Is this possible with KK boards as well and will the firmware support that?
Aug 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgchris
Simple question: It's possible to hook up Spektrum satellite receivers straight to mwc boards without using a main receiver.

Other products like MICROBEAST which is able to process many types of sum signals (PPM / S-BUS / Spektrum). With the optional Spektrum Satellite Adapter, installation in indoor model helicopters is also possible without a great number of wires.

The same goes for OpenPilot CopterControl. Is this possible with KK boards as well and will the firmware support that?
Skookum SK720 as well but not on the KK2 board.
Aug 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
This file on Hobbyking is identical to the one posted in this thread a few days ago.
I would certainly hope so.

The one on HK is much easier to find.
Aug 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Before I flush my KK with the new version - does the self-leveling improved ? what else changed ?
Aug 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
I would certainly hope so.

The one on HK is much easier to find.
Yes, but both still have the esc calibration bug. Your other post made it sound like the new, patched version was available on the HK site, but it is identical the the V1.1 that was posted here. I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of that.
Aug 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx
Before I flush my KK with the new version - does the self-leveling improved ? what else changed ?
Go back and read post 2078

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2078
Aug 13, 2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Yes, but both still have the esc calibration bug. Your other post made it sound like the new, patched version was available on the HK site, but it is identical the the V1.1 that was posted here. I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of that.
What does this ESC calibration bug do? I calibrate my ESC from the receiver so I have not tried that option.
Aug 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
What does this ESC calibration bug do? I calibrate my ESC from the receiver so I have not tried that option.
You are supposed to be able to calibrate all 4 ESC's at the same time, through the controller board. The bug is causing many people to have problems with this calibration method.

I initially calibrated mine through the receiver as well, but a few people here have reported getting better results through the board.
Aug 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Wouldn't calibrating them with +125/-125 end points reduced your resolution since there is a larger input range for a finite number of throttle points?
After doing a little research on the subject of how this all works, what you describe doesn't seem to be the case.

Bumping the travel adjust max/min up/down should decrease the minimum pulse width and increase the maximum pulse width. This factors into more real throttle range than before - effectively more throttle positions that simply aren't utilized when the travel adjust is +/-100. If this wasn't the case, then servos wouldn't travel farther when travel adjust was increased (and they definitely do travel farther).

Edit: And therefore when you calibrate the ESCs - telling it a longer pulse than before is max throttle, even if you bump the travel adjust back to +/-100 where you may not be utilizing all of the "allowable" throttle positions, you're still giving the FCB more throttle positions to work with for driving the motors where TX throttle input isn't used (gyro stabilization) and thus more throttle resolution (smaller motor speed changes for changes in pulse width between the KK2 and the ESCs). This should translate into less oscillation, and it does seem to do this in my case.
Last edited by pbmax; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Aug 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgez
Let me know how those M5 nuts work out. I'm looking to get rid of my cone shape collets because of the vibrations.
The M5 nuts were a huge improvement over the cone shaped collets. I only had a few minutes to experiment, but I was immediately able to increase my P gain pretty significantly without getting oscillations. Everything feels much more stable already.
Aug 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
Who put that tree there?!?!
for the built in voltage alarm do i just need to connect + to the board or both + and -?
Aug 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Quote:
for the built in voltage alarm do i just need to connect + to the board or both + and -?
Most people do both, but it should only need + as the board will be grounded though the ESC connection.
Aug 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx
I haven't checked the original in details and can't comment on the improvement.

However on the kk2_1V1, I would suggest to stay away from self-leveling.

I found it less stable and the motors acted up violently when the ACC picked up sudden changes.

It flies well without self-leveling though.
Aug 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON
Ive tried all day to download the updates for the KK2,ive managed to extract the files for bot the driver and KK2,I go into device manager get so far then,it wont go any further,can some one please give me the easy way to go about this please.The Naza was easy compared to this.Please O please help me yours,Marty.
There is no driver inside the FW zip file. The programmer driver should come with your programmer if it needs one.

I am using linux, the USB serial driver is already in the kernel.
Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09
I haven't checked the original in details and can't comment on the improvement.

However on the kk2_1V1, I would suggest to stay away from self-leveling.

I found it less stable and the motors acted up violently when the ACC picked up sudden changes.

It flies well without self-leveling though.
If you are going to use self levelling, then the KK2 needs to be vibration isolated.
The vibrations from the motor poles switching can easily cause over a 4g vibration signal to the accelerometer, as the MultiWii people discovered last year in this thread.

http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewto...XL335&start=40

That vibration can saturate the input to the A->D converter and cause unpredictable results.
Aug 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Quote:
Check out this video by one of the members = dhdsracer

KK2 Voltage alarm
Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 AM
@jabu32
Just solder a servo pin in the empty hole on the board. Then make a single wire extension and connect it between the pin and the most positive wire on the balance connector. Any servo extension cable will provide the necessary parts ..Cover all exposed metal with heat shrink, or keep the connector housings or part of them.

Fred
Last edited by flarssen; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Aug 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
Help, I have one esc/motor motor 3 thats not spinning up as well as the rest(its jumpy), If I push the throttle up and down a few times it kicks in sometimes

Ive swapped escs still the same, its motor output 3, Radio is trimmed out to zero, Ive played with the throttle limit...it doesnt change, Ive re calibrated the ESC's multiple times still doesnt change

Any ideas?
Aug 14, 2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiwikat
Help, I have one esc/motor motor 3 thats not spinning up as well as the rest(its jumpy), If I push the throttle up and down a few times it kicks in sometimes
Mine behaved the same with the factory PI settings. After setting P=50% and I=0, it behaves great (not flying around yet).

Fred
Aug 14, 2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiwikat

Ive swapped escs still the same, its motor output 3, Radio is trimmed out to zero, Ive played with the throttle limit...it doesnt change, Ive re calibrated the ESC's multiple times still doesnt change

Any ideas?
Tried changing the motor timing on the ESCs? Or swapping the motor with one of the other ones?

I had ta similar problem (motor 1) with HK SS ESCs, swapped them for Turnigy Plush and the problem went away.
Aug 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x
How did you make the glasses
Hi Tech, the glasses are CZ Cinemizer Plus and I added some rubber foam around them and not to get the sunlight inside...wich causes a annoying glare...
Anyway, I usually use a black cloth wich I put over my head to improve the sunlight isolation.
Aug 14, 2012, 01:24 AM
Quote:
If you are going to use self levelling, then the KK2 needs to be vibration isolated.
The vibrations from the motor poles switching can easily cause over a 4g vibration signal to the accelerometer, as the MultiWii people discovered last year in this thread.

http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewto...XL335&start=40

That vibration can saturate the input to the A->D converter and cause unpredictable results.
I have my KK2.0 on a microQuad, without balancing the propeller, and without a dedicated mount for the KK2.0

Still autolevel in flight work pretty fine. Actually it is still a most have due to the small size of the quad and the usage of high rate control.

I think the KK2 has some error during a hard contact ... but I think are more the gyros that get crazy ... not the acc sensors ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Aug 14, 2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
@jabu32
Just solder a servo pin in the empty hole on the board. Then make a single wire extension and connect it between the pin and the most positive wire on the balance connector. Any servo extension cable will provide the necessary parts ..Cover all exposed metal with heat shrink, or keep the connector housings or part of them.

Fred
Thanks Fred,

That's actually a darn good idea. I winder why there isn't a pin soldered on there at the factory. Anyways I broke my 250 frame today and to repair it I have to remove the KK2. I thought it was annoying having to desolder the + wire from the board and re-solder every time that happens. Now I know what to do.

Thanks again for the tip.

Best,
Chris
Aug 14, 2012, 05:37 AM
Quad Whisperer
Firmware V1.2

-Bug-fix: ESC calibration.

There where two uninitialized variables when entering ESC calibration. (flagMutePwm and ServoFilter) Of course this was the one function I forgot to test in V1.1. Sorry about that.

Note that ESC calibration is a bit simpler now. You can plug in the battery and then press the buttons, since the welcome screen adds a bit delay. No need for 4 hands

Also note that the ESC calibration amplifies the throttle signal a bit to make sure the ESC receive the full range of 1 to 2 ms. (in all versions)
This why it it is best to do the ESC calibration though the KK2.
Aug 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
Love your work.
Aug 14, 2012, 06:08 AM
Quote:
No, self level is on, I often fly with Self level on.

Calibration must be done when all legs are perfectly level ( not only board level).

Self level if anything is off cause high drift.
Last edited by srepfler; Aug 14, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Aug 14, 2012, 06:23 AM

Self level on high wind

Self level on high wind,
gains need to be little lower for wind but works fine.

x666 quadcopter high wind (7 min 23 sec)
Aug 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk
Firmware V1.2

There where two uninitialized variables when entering ESC calibration. (flagMutePwm and ServoFilter) Of course this was the one function I forgot to test in V1.1. Sorry about that.

Note that ESC calibration is a bit simpler now. You can plug in the battery and then press the buttons, since the welcome screen adds a bit delay. No need for 4 hands

Also note that the ESC calibration amplifies the throttle signal a bit to make sure the ESC receive the full range of 1 to 2 ms. (in all versions)
Thanks kaptain for your work, and please don't stop the work on this project.
We all live with hope that one day our copters will fly stick free (meant self level)

best regards.
Aug 14, 2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks KK, just flashed 1.2 and the process went fine. Used Flashtool .63
Aug 14, 2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the 1.2 release. I just flashed my board and successfully calibrated my escs!

I hope to get some test flights in this afternoon. Between the calibration and the work I have done to reduce vibration, I expect some smooth flying.
Aug 14, 2012, 07:18 AM
Is there a manual on the new firmware. I want to find out about CPPM - which RX connection for the single wire.

Also the new V tail mix, do motor angles etc make a difference and if so how much?
Aug 14, 2012, 07:24 AM
Still using V1 on my tricopter, fly around fine with Auto Level on.
KK2 is hard mounted using Nylon standoff spacers, no issues with vibration causing unwanted movements.

I am using wooden arms so maybe dampening what vibration does come from the motors.

(Software not updated due to damaged screen.)
Aug 14, 2012, 07:37 AM
HI,

Thank you so much kapteinkuk!

I flashed to the 1.2, I will fly X copter tomorrow.

I could not read battery voltage on the SAFE screen, it remains zero, even if I set the battery alarm voltage to some value UMM,,,
Aug 14, 2012, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmanpack
HI,

Thank you so much kapteinkuk!

I flashed to the 1.2, I will fly X copter tomorrow.

I could not read battery voltage on the SAFE screen, it remains zero, even if I set the battery alarm voltage to some value UMM,,,
Have you connected your battery positive to the board as in the instructions? You need a cable connected to a solder point on the board.....
Aug 14, 2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
That definitely explains why travel adjust helped

Thanks for the quick fix!
Aug 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Master of Flash
V1.2 is now also in the repository.

Best Christian
Aug 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero
V1.2 is now also in the repository.

Best Christian
May I know where the repository is, is that open to public for read only access?

Thanks.
Aug 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have a problem I flashed my kk2 board with aero firmware and everything works on the board, Now I just reflashed with the new version of kk and I only get white screen on the board and nothing seems to works, I tryed to downgrade to the version 1.1 of kk and nothing, i get the same white screen on lcd. Then I tryed to install the aero firmware again and it seems to works and I have all the information on screen again and the board seems ok. I am lite bit lost. I used the kk falsh tool 0.63.
Any help?

thanks
Aug 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Firmware V1.2...
I am not sure what that means. Would it avoid going below min throttle setting after calibrating it to full 1 to 2 ms? It is not good if it amplifies it back to cover 1ms during operation when min throttle is set at 20.

My set of ESC's will get into trouble for going below 1.2ms.
Aug 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky
I have a problem I flashed my kk2 board with aero firmware and everything works on the board, Now I just reflashed with the new version of kk and I only get white screen on the board and nothing seems to works, I tryed to downgrade to the version 1.1 of kk and nothing, i get the same white screen on lcd. Then I tryed to install the aero firmware again and it seems to works and I have all the information on screen again and the board seems ok. I am lite bit lost. I used the kk falsh tool 0.63.
Any help?

thanks

I fix the problem but I donīt know what happend. I just start to play with configure firmware tab on kk flas tool and then i try again to flash with the version of kk 1.2. Now It seems to work and the LCD works again. Somenthing strange
Aug 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
Custom quad builder
Just got finished tuning the kk on my hover things 450 all is working great I got some new motors from here. http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mot...le-20-28m.html
These motors are the best ones I have had so far they have a lot! Of power with 9 4.5 props
This is a pic of the quad

http://img16.imageshack.us/i/imageuxp.jpg/
Last edited by tech69x; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Link
Aug 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Firmware V1.2

This is unlike the last update. This one did not affect any of my settings. My settings all remained. NICE. Just flash and fix without having to reprogram anything.

Thank you, Sir.

Best,
Chris
Aug 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Custom quad builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine
This is unlike the last update. This one did not affect any of my settings. My settings all remained. NICE. Just flash and fix without having to reprogram anything.

Thank you, Sir.

Best,
Chris
That is good to here because I just tuned my HT-450
Aug 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x
That is good to here because I just tuned my HT-450
Bummer. The HT is the only quad it won't work with. The ONLY one. I'm afraid you'll have to tune it again. Serves you well for building such a nice craft and sending me pictures just to make it worse.

Best,
Chris
Aug 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Great update kk
one question though if i increase the time for which the welcome screen flashes then i will get more time to plug in my battery and then press down buttons 1 and 4
Is this fine or will the esc calibration will be effected by doing so ..
Aug 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
Custom quad builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine
Bummer. The HT is the only quad it won't work with. The ONLY one. I'm afraid you'll have to tune it again. Serves you well for building such a nice craft and sending me pictures just to make it worse.

Best,
Chris
Just wait till I send you videos of it flying

Happy flying
Mike
Aug 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
I tried a search looking for FW_V1.0 just in case I need to go back from 1.2, but appears to not be posted???? Does anyone have links to 1.0??
Aug 14, 2012, 03:15 PM

Flash KK

HI again...

What hardware do you guys use when you flash your KK-board?

Can I buy it at HobbyKing?

Thanks.
Aug 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskfan
HI again...

Thanks.
I use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IOI-KK-boa...#ht_3952wt_802
Aug 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskfan
HI again...

Thanks.
Hey Fiskfan,
I use this, it's less than $5 and it works fine:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html

Just be sure to use the correct USBasp driver for your PC if using Win XP and you should be good to go..! If using Win 7, it should search for and load the driver automatically.

The one shown by "Impailer" in the above post will also work fine.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Aug 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
Hello...

If you need buddy code: USBasp
Aug 14, 2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer
Thanks for that tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1
Hey Fiskfan,

Just be sure to use the correct USBasp driver for your PC if using Win XP and you should be good to go..! If using Win 7, it should search for and load the driver automatically.

The one shown by "Impailer" in the above post will also work fine.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Thanks, as I am just ordering some other nice stuff from HK, this will be the one I buy (and I have XP on my computer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscool
Hello...

If you need buddy code: USBasp
Very nice of you, thanks alot!

So thanks all of you!
Aug 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1
Hey Fiskfan,

Just be sure to use the correct USBasp driver for your PC if using Win XP and you should be good to go..! If using Win 7, it should search for and load the driver automatically.The one shown by "Impailer" in the above post will also work fine.

Cheers,
Smithy.
It didnt load automatically for me...im on 7....had to search for it...but if you look at lazy zero's website where you get his tool, in the FAQ it gives you the website where you can get the driver for the usbasp from HK.
Aug 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
I tried the V1.2 today. Self leveling works but still it corrects very slowly, overshoots alittle and than levels. At least it is controllable nicely now.

KK - why can't you make it respond and level quickly like MultiWii and other self-leveling boards?
Aug 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
He is working on it, but having a break.
Aug 14, 2012, 06:42 PM
After a long day of work and a rainy lunch hour, I was finally able to get some outside flying time. I am happy to report that with firmware V1.2, a successful ESC calibration, better balanced props and prop adapters and very little tuning, my quad is flying great.

I bumped my P gain from 50 to 70 and things were still very stable. Previously, I was only able to get to around 30 before oscillation started. I did some very mild flying through my first pack, setting trims and doing some simple circles, then managed a few nice rolls on my 2nd pack. But after a few frustrating days, I am extremely happy with the performance and stability of this controller!

I definitely need to do more tuning, especially my I gain because I'm noticing some over correction when returning to center stick during forward flight. I also need to order some more LIPO's because I really want to be able to fly longer.

On that note, I have a question... I connected a Lipo alarm, very similar to this one from HK.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18987

It began to beep on hard throttle after a while, which was to be expected. Then eventually got to the point of steady beeping. I felt like this happened quicker than it should have and was the same for both packs. When I got home and charged the batteries, both of them only took around 1500maH according to my accucell charger and were well above 11V when I plugged them in. They are brand new Turnigy 3000maH 30C packs with only 3-4 charges on each. They were hardly even warm after the flight, so I know I'm not pushing them too hard. From what I have been reading, most people deplete packs to around 20% capacity.

Is it possible that I am getting such a significant voltage drop during flight, or is it more likely that my Lipo alarm is going off too early? I am going to solder the voltage alarm lead to the KK board tomorrow and see if I get similar results.
Aug 14, 2012, 06:55 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky
I fix the problem but I donīt know what happend. I just start to play with configure firmware tab on kk flas tool and then i try again to flash with the version of kk 1.2. Now It seems to work and the LCD works again. Somenthing strange
Hi,
It's a known issue. If you flash with OpenAero2 beta 1, then flash back to KK, the KK2 software gets confused. You need to do a factory reset to restore the eeprom configuration OR erase the eeProm completely which is what you probably did.
Future versions of OpenAero2 will deliberately over-write the value Rolf uses to mark the eeprom as being corrupted and so force an automatic factory reset.
HS