Jul 24, 2013, 12:17 PM
How high will it go?
Because 50% of 0 is 0.
You need to have some throttle applied so the flight controller can use throttle to correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Indeed if you are coming from fixed-wing as I am you have to re-learn your bail-out procedure. Switch to SL (or just center the sticks if using 1.6++) and advance the throttle to climb power. If you are caught in your own prop wash you will need extra power to break out.

I have been experimenting with 1.6++ for a couple of weeks now and love it. It is a great enhancement to Rolf's excellent Version 1.6, especially for low-time pilots like me that still depend on SL to keep us out of trouble.

I have never flown a helicopter and don't know Heli mode so stick with Acro on the transmitter as Rolf advises. I don't see anything to be gained by using a 10% throttle switch. On my quads that is not enough power to stir up the dust when on the ground and provides no meaningful lift in the air..
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2013, 12:31 PM
8 bit is more fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
Hmmm, I think that's backward, when I tried SL low, just off center stick I had to much control (it acted to fast, as if no SL), I then tried SL med and it was better for my liking, then I tried SL high and I like it the best. Now that I got a few weeks on it, I should retest all three modes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3SHXX View Post
RC11, I really like using your KK 2.0 1.6++ fw, lots of very useful features that you have added, especially the safer and easier esc calibration. I have been experimenting with the SL mixing and wondering if you could list the ratio(percentage) of the 3 mixes at their different settings. In other words low:SL % -acro%, med. SL %-acro %, HI sl %-acro %.....!!! From my flight tests it seems that the low setting has less SL mix and HI setting has the highest SL mix. Please keep up the improvements, I just wish the KK 2.0 fc had more memory for more "goodies". Thanks.... AL.....(N3SHXX)
This is the (simplified) formula used to calculate the SL P-gain based on stick input:

Code:
SL P-gain = Configured SL P-gain - (Stick input * Reduction factor)

Configured SL P-gain is taken from your Self-level settings.
Stick input range is [0, 1000] at this point.
Reduction factor is 0.05 for LOW, 0.1 for MEDIUM and 0.2 for HIGH.
The new SL P-gain is clamped to zero so it will never become negative.
So, with SL P-gain set to 60 the calculated SL P-gain factor will be this for a stick deflection of 50%:

Code:
LOW   : 60 - (500 * 0.05) = 35
MEDIUM: 60 - (500 * 0.1) = 10
HIGH  : 60 - (500 * 0.2) = 0      ; -40 is clamped to zero. SL is not acting.
Conclusion: The HIGH setting gives you, the pilot, more control since SL stops acting sooner as you increase the stick input.
Last edited by RC911; Sep 17, 2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Corrected P-gain result for the LOW setting.
Jul 24, 2013, 12:53 PM
RC flying addiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post

I have never flown a helicopter and don't know Heli mode so stick with Acro on the transmitter as Rolf advises. I don't see anything to be gained by using a 10% throttle switch. On my quads that is not enough power to stir up the dust when on the ground and provides no meaningful lift in the air..
10% wasn't meant to make it fly, just give the KK2 something to work with when you flip to SL or in the case of 1.6++ center the sticks.

Using helicopter mode/setting in your radio is not rocket science, as I have previously mentioned.
Jul 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Adik View Post
How would you purpose doing this, when we are repeatedly informed that you "must" use Aero to set up and fly your KK2 controlled multicopter?

Like you, I find using Aero extremely limiting and find using a NORMAL Heli program much more useful.
The "must" is so that beginners know to stay away from it, so we don't have to answer issues with curves and hi idles and endpoints that confuse the issue with unknown transmitter functions. Those that know what they are doing and have a reason should go for it.

Some really good reasons are to have a curve that doesn't cut your motors completely off at low stick or to have a throttle hold switch.
Jul 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
N3SHXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC911 View Post
This is the (simplified) formula used to calculate the SL P-gain based on stick input:

Code:
SL P-gain = Configured SL P-gain - (Stick input * Reduction factor)

Configured SL P-gain is taken from your Self-level settings.
Stick input range is [0, 1000] at this point.
Reduction factor is 0.05 for LOW, 0.1 for MEDIUM and 0.2 for HIGH.
The new SL P-gain is clamped to zero so it will never become negative.
So, with SL P-gain set to 60 the calculated SL P-gain factor will be this for a stick deflection of 50%:

Code:
LOW   : 60 - (500 * 0.05) = 25
MEDIUM: 60 - (500 * 0.1) = 10
HIGH  : 60 - (500 * 0.2) = 0      ; -40 is clamped to zero. SL is not acting.
Conclusion: The HIGH setting gives you, the pilot, more control since SL stops acting sooner as you increase the stick input.
THANKS RC11 for the explanation, I just did a backyard flight test and confirmed your comments. When in high mode I switched my SL/Acro(aux) switch off and on to compare and it seems the high setting is very close to "raw" acro mode(no mix). For backyard sport flying I like the med. setting, thanks for reply......Looking forward for your next FW update....!!!
Jul 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
hi folks,
I am a kind of newbie and I have a problem with my quad...so disappointing with my quad since it is not hovering at all. not even 1 cm
my quad parts:
hj 450 frame
xxd 930 K motor
quattro ESC (4in1)
3s1p 2200 mah 11.1 v battery ace
kk2 FC ( v 1.2)
fly sky fs t6 tx and rx.
props 10x 45 blade orange and black

my set up for kk2.0 is: ( I set it up according to manual from HK)
Roll/Pitch P-gain: 150
Roll/Pitch P-limit: 100
Roll/Pitch I-gain: 50
Roll/Pitch I-limit: 20

Yaw P-gain: 150
Yaw P-limit: 20
Yaw I-gain: 50
Yaw I-limit: 10

I checked the motors' direction. it is ok.

the weight of the quad is 900 gr.
I really appreciate your help. If it is not the right place to ask could you please direct me to the right place. thank you
Jul 24, 2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsstart78 View Post
hi folks,
I am a kind of newbie and I have a problem with my quad...so disappointing with my quad since it is not hovering at all. not even 1 cm
my quad parts:
xxd 930 K motor
quattro ESC (4in1)
kk2 FC ( v 1.2)
fly sky fs t6 tx and rx.

I really appreciate your help. If it is not the right place to ask could you please direct me to the right place. thank you
Are your propellers on right ? double check that was my newbi mistake
Jul 24, 2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
Because 50% of 0 is 0.
You need to have some throttle applied so the flight controller can use throttle to correct.
You lost me there. My comment was relative to having 10% minimum throttle. I don't know where the 50% comes from but 50% of 10% is 5%. That is not enough power to do anything but fall out of the air.
Jul 24, 2013, 03:07 PM
1sq
1sq
Quote:
hi folks,
my quad parts:
hj 450 frame
xxd 930 K motor
quattro ESC (4in1)
kk2 FC ( v 1.2)
fly sky fs t6 tx and rx.

If ever you update to 1.6v firmware try the following set-up that i got from Dennis Baldwin thru his you tube. My 400mm fly very good with that setting (acro) and still fine tuning it.

Roll/Pitch P gain 70
Roll/pitch P limit 50
Roll/Pitch I gain 40
Roll/Pitch I limit 20

Yaw P gain 75
Yaw P limit 20
Yaw I gain 30
Yaw I limit 10

Hope this help.
Jul 24, 2013, 03:14 PM
thank you Eric. change the propellers. now it is flipping to the right during the take off
you think still the propellers are not right?
Last edited by letsstart78; Jul 24, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Jul 24, 2013, 04:25 PM
Dreamer
Quote:
thank you Eric. change the propellers. now it is flipping to the right during the take off
Can you post a picture and / or a short video of what your quad is doing please .. it will help us help you ...
Jul 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
RC flying addiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
The "must" is so that beginners know to stay away from it, so we don't have to answer issues with curves and hi idles and endpoints that confuse the issue with unknown transmitter functions. Those that know what they are doing and have a reason should go for it.

Some really good reasons are to have a curve that doesn't cut your motors completely off at low stick or to have a throttle hold switch.
Some really good reason are changes "someone" made to the default settings.

Just like Aero there are default settings using a Heli program. There are no DR's or Expo's pre-configured, no throttle curves etc... and the Gear channel is most likely to be just that and on channel five.

Have you even looked at a default "normal" helicopter setup?

With a throttle curve that doesn't cut your motors off, you wouldn't be able to arm a KK2.

The throttle hold feature is not normally assigned. It usually needs to be enabled. This feature is also applicable to many radios in Aero setups, (it actually provides some safety if the throttle stick was bumped).

Helicopter setups are not Voodoo as you would have us believe!
Jul 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
Rick / Phobotic/Famous Dealer
Quote:
Have you calibrated your esc's, and set your motor configuration?
Jul 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
Fly Backwards
Quote:
For my information: did you verify that the ESC was the problem?
Yes, I swapped the plugs from the right and tail ESC where they plug into the KK2 and the problem followed the ESC. Replaced the ESC last night and hovered for about 5 minutes without issue.
Jul 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Some really good reasons (Edit: to use these heli functions) are to have a curve that doesn't cut your motors completely off at low stick or to have a throttle hold switch.
Some really good reason are changes "someone" made to the default settings.
Are you complaining about Rolf's default settings or a beginner changing the settings away from the defaults? ??? Tuning requires changing some setttings.
I am trying to say that some people do use these heli functions with good reason.

Quote:
Just like Aero there are default settings using a Heli program. There are no DR's or Expo's pre-configured, no throttle curves etc... and the Gear channel is most likely to be just that and on channel five.

Have you even looked at a default "normal" helicopter setup?
Yes I have have you?
What you are getting at here is not clear. Are you saying that all heli transmitters have airplane like defaults? Have you looked at each one? How about the ones that give you a nice default V for throttle in idle up mode or have pitch trim connected to a pot that the user has unknowingly bumped (and he is using the pitch channel at the KK2). These are reasons for beginners to avoid this, but if you know what you are doing, you can get additional functionality from it.

Quote:
With a throttle curve that doesn't cut your motors off, you wouldn't be able to arm a KK2.
And that would be one reason to use a throttle hold switch when you have your stick only going down to 15%. Quite a reasonable thing to do, but confusing for a beginner and the person trying to help him via short texts.

Quote:
The throttle hold feature is not normally assigned. It usually needs to be enabled. This feature is also applicable to many radios in Aero setups, (it actually provides some safety if the throttle stick was bumped).

Helicopter setups are not Voodoo as you would have us believe!
Throttle hold is not normally assigned? And that is a reason not to use it if you know what you are doing?

If I am not mistaken, you are actually agreeing with me that these heli functions are indeed useful to people that know what they are doing.

I am saying, by all means use them if you know what you are doing, but beginners should avoid them.

Quick Reply