Flying Tigers... worst air war movie ever? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jun 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
It's ok to be white.
RCWorks's Avatar
Complaining about a movie that has The Duke? What flavor of communist are you???














Just Kidding.

Yeah, but back then you did not need a lot off flash and bang, they had these guys called SCRIPT WRITTERS that wrote scripts that were good and would keep your attention, but they are extict today as you can tell by the movies Battleship and Prometheus.
Jun 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
It's ok to be white.
RCWorks's Avatar
I have probably watched that old movie at least 10 times in my life, same with The treasure of the Sierra Madre'... I have probably seen it 20 times or more... the banditios and Bogarts little chat is still funny... Show me your badges!
Jun 21, 2012, 09:16 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Majortomski's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
.. Show me your badges!
We don neeed no stinken badges!
Jun 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
A classic. I wonder how many movies released this year will still be quoted over 60 years from now?
Jun 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Marten's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
You think Flying Tigers is bad? Watch God is My CoPilot. Cheesier than a pizza factory!

CD
Ever read the book? Better even than Das Boot..

Pappy Boyington's trash paper back was stupid. 'Show me a hero and I prove he's a bum' What a a dick.
Jun 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Registered User
My "favorite" part of GIMCP was when he claimed a Zero's 20mm cannon shell hit the back of his seat armor and drove rivets into his back.

As far as I know, the Flying Tigers NEVER saw a Zero or anything else with a 20mm cannon. Their opponents were usually A5M Claudes or KI-27 Nates (which they called Abduls). If they ran into an Oscar (unlikely in early 1942), it still had no cannons.

A man of "God" indeed!
Jun 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG
My "favorite" part of GIMCP was when he claimed a Zero's 20mm cannon shell hit the back of his seat armor and drove rivets into his back.

As far as I know, the Flying Tigers NEVER saw a Zero or anything else with a 20mm cannon. Their opponents were usually A5M Claudes or KI-27 Nates (which they called Abduls). If they ran into an Oscar (unlikely in early 1942), it still had no cannons.

A man of "God" indeed!
Scott flew against the Japanese after his Flying Tiger stint. He flew In China in 1944, and then flew at Okinawa.
Jun 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Scott flew against the Japanese after his Flying Tiger stint. He flew In China in 1944, and then flew at Okinawa.
Yes, but the story in the book was during his tenure with the Flying Tigers, which ended in July 1942. No Zeroes. Just another lie from a "man of God."
Jun 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG
Yes, but the story in the book was during his tenure with the Flying Tigers, which ended in July 1942. No Zeroes. Just another lie from a "man of God."
From WIki:

Quote:
Robert Lee Scott Jr. (12 April 1908 – 27 February 2006) was a Brigadier General in the United States Air Force. Scott is best known for his autobiography God is My Co-Pilot about his exploits in World War II with the Flying Tigers and the United States Army Air Forces in China and Burma.
Apparently, the book's scope included his AAF service.
Jun 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
Registered User
I haven't read Scott's book in many years. But I was struck by contradictory statements about the Japanese. On the one hand they were a skilled and brave adversary. On the other hand, they were the near sighted, buck toothed caricature popular in posters and cartoons of the time. I thought the book had received a certain amount of wartime PC editing, whether by Scott or an editor.
Jun 22, 2012, 07:42 PM
Registered User
Now that the power is back on, I can finally finish replying.

The book and the movie were two, totally different things. Hollywood made his book into a propaganda film. Sneaky Jap spies, a Jap ace that had to have his opponents aircraft sabotaged before he could win, etc.

It was a common error to think of the Japanese fighters the AVG, etc., faced as being Zeros. The Zero was flown by the Imperial Navy, and was only rarely encountered by the AVG. The Imperial Army was in charge of most of the conflict, and their best fighter was the KI-43 Hayabusa (Allied named "Oscar"). The KI-43 was considered more maneuverable than the Zero, but it was very lightly armed, usually with only two machine guns, usually of 7.7 or 12.7 (~.303 and ~.50 cal.).

The Tigers did encounter some KI-45 Tony's, though, and they did mount cannon. Fortunately, their maneuvability didn't come close to that of the Japanese single-engined fighters.

Bob HSG, stick it in your ear. Scott's religion has nothing to do with this.


CD
Jun 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
Vertical Wake
splatman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG
Yes, but the story in the book was during his tenure with the Flying Tigers, which ended in July 1942. No Zeroes. Just another lie from a "man of God."
There were Zeros fighting in China prior to Pearl Harbor. Saburo Sakai details his own experience switching from the A5M "Claude" to the Zero and regaining air superiority in China. In fact Claire Chennault was familiar with the Zero's performance long before Pearl Harbor.
Jun 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
Bob HSG, stick it in your ear. Scott's religion has nothing to do with this.


CD
You're right. My apologies...
Jun 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatman
There were Zeros fighting in China prior to Pearl Harbor. Saburo Sakai details his own experience switching from the A5M "Claude" to the Zero and regaining air superiority in China. In fact Claire Chennault was familiar with the Zero's performance long before Pearl Harbor.
The Zeroes were service tested in August 1940 over Chunking. They were all over the I-16s and I-153s of the Nationalist Chinese air force. But I don't think there were ever very many Zeroes in China. In addition to misidentifying Oscars, when the Ki-84 debuted, they were often mistaken for Zeroes as well.

But I'm still pretty sure the reference in the book was allegedly when he was with the Flying Tigers, not in the USAAF. Whatever...
Jun 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
Vertical Wake
splatman's Avatar
No doubt that many airmen referred to JA or JN fighters as "Zeros" (just as most German tanks were by default were "Tigers" in Europe), so he probably was mistaken. I just took issue with the "NO zeros= Liar" comment.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Careful! hobbyking worst customer service ever Ryhza Electric Heli Talk 12 Mar 19, 2012 10:08 PM
Discussion worst epic fail EVER. andrewho83 Micro Helis 9 Mar 16, 2012 06:10 PM
Help! Worst flying day ever! Teamsherman Australia 18 Dec 27, 2011 06:34 PM
Discussion Worst Mustang ever? leccyflyer Electric Plane Talk 32 Oct 25, 2011 01:06 PM