Zupair Z1 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2012, 03:30 PM
Person of interest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl
Is the Topsky acrobatic at all?

-Jonathan
who's owned neither
Yep, I have seen a couple flying and they perform well. They have full length ailerons (you cut out yourself) and end up around 10oz so are a good "cheap" entry level DLG.

I have a DLG and a Z1 and love them both. The answer to CP's question (not that I am getting into a discussion ) is that you need both
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
Blue Sky Mining
"you need both"
... That says it all.
Nov 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
Sniffing the glue
Ordered mine yesterday , can't wait to get it!
Jan 01, 2014, 09:50 PM
Person of interest
I have been flying my Z1 for eighteen months or so now and have been getting alot of use out of it. It really is a versatile model being great for thermaling off a bungee, park flying with motor pod and ridge soaring. I had my Z1 out yesterday flying at the beach. The windspeed was 15/20kts, so I just left the motor pod and folding prop on as ballast and let her rip - she performed well. Here's a short vid - all in gliding mode

Z1 from Zupair ridge soaring (3 min 31 sec)
Jan 04, 2015, 03:55 AM
Cool vid. I've been stalking Z1 videos for a few weeks now and am actually in the process of building the kit. I ordered a blemish kit that had a few dry sections of the TE but I was able to fix them with some Mylar and epoxy.

It's looking good so far and am just watching epoxy cure joining the wings now.

Can't wait to get it up in the air.

J
Jan 23, 2015, 12:45 AM
So my maiden flight went good. AUW was 16oz but did need about 1.6oz to get the CG right. I feel it's still nose heavy. I took out .5oz weight and reduced the initial reflex needed at first. Build instructions say there shouldn't be any reflex but I've got about 2-3mm of reflex needed to keep it from nosediving. AUW here was 15.5oz.

5th flight off bungee launch sent it 70ft up into an Eucalyptus tree. Took me 3days to retrieve it and "only" damage was left wing buckled in two places ( @ inboard aileron hinge-line and about 6" outboard of that )

I reattached the skin by poking holes and CA'ing it, then after inspecting the foam underneath I added a glass patch on top and wrapping over LE back underneath from top side of aileron hinge to bottom skin aileron hinge. Repair is good, probably overkill and required a dime taped to the opposite wing for side to side balance ( maybe that isn't a big deal?)

After the repair AUW is back to 16oz but still needs reflex and I'd like to get it lighter still and move CG back.

Am I interpreting the aileron settings correctly? My Zagi needed reflex but that is quite a different wing design.

Can I remove weight to get level flight with no reflex ?

J
Jan 23, 2015, 08:56 AM
altitude adjustment
I had one of these awhile back and it flew well with no reflex.

2-3mm is a lot of reflex.

Regular CA eats blue foam. (I guess you know that now). Hope it wasn't too bad.

Mark
Last edited by thumbhead; Jan 23, 2015 at 09:02 AM.
Jan 23, 2015, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbhead
I had one of these awhile back and it flew well with no reflex.

2-3mm is a lot of reflex.

Regular CA eats blue foam. (I guess you know that now). Hope it wasn't too bad.

Mark
The kits shipped prior to Sept 2012 flew with 2mm reflex. Kits shipped after that needed no reflex. Mine was a blemish kit I got a few weeks ago it had a really dry layup. I had to re-epoxy both TE's as they were separated and the LE was not completely wetted out. My electronics bays were not cutout either so I had to figure out where to put them. Maybe all that "manual eyeballing" has the balance off a bit or my kit was an old kit. It was the Disser version though.

CA- I used foam safe CA and it worked well, just hard to get a glassy finish with that stuff.

J
Jan 29, 2015, 06:53 PM

Another Z1 completed and Flown

I have just completed and flown a powered Zupair Z1. Very nice flyer and certainly caught the attention of the others at the flying field. It is powered by a Model Motors AXI 2208-26 with 7-3 prop (no more than 100 watts) on three cells and this is lots of motor for it. The maiden was flown with an AXI 2212-20 with 8-4 prop which was way too much power. Being a wing the balance is quite critical. A little tail heavy was no fun at all so I brought it down and moved the battery forward a bit. Much better. In all, it is a fun bird to fly and I am looking forward to getting to know it better. Quite different from the Radian.

The programming features of the FrSky Taranis TX made setting up the Z1 very simple; elevons with significant differential programmed into the ailerons.

I must thank Wayne at Aloft Hobbies for his help getting me this model. The first arrived damaged by the mail and he very patiently worked with me to resolve the problem.

And a comment for ClimaxPilot: Just because you have a DLG (or any other plane, in fact) does not mean you don't need a Z1 as well.
Last edited by boomerwing; Jan 30, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Feb 06, 2015, 10:08 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Hi guys... does anyone have a .spm model file for a DX8 or DX9 for a Z1 with flaps and elevons they'd be willing to share?

TIA!

-= Dave
Jun 30, 2015, 11:32 PM
Gliders ain't drones!

NASA to fly a Z1 on Mars?

I just read this on Engadget:
--------------------------

NASA prototypes a drone aircraft destined for Mars
blogger-avatarby Jon Fingas | @jonfingas | 10 hrs ago

NASA's Prandtl-m as it would fly over Mars
No, you're not looking at a very sophisticated boomerang -- that may be the first aircraft to fly the Martian skies. NASA has revealed that it's building a prototype for Prandtl-m (Preliminary Research Aerodynamic Design to Land on Mars), a glider drone that would launch from a descending rover and survey landing sites for the eventual manned mission. The two-foot-long vehicle will weigh about 2.6 pounds on Earth, but Mars' gravity will reduce that to 1 pound -- light enough that the craft could travel up to 20 miles after starting at 2,000 feet above the surface.

The rover won't launch until sometime between 2022 and 2024, but you won't have to wait so long to see the prototype in action. When the prototype is ready later this year, it'll take off from a balloon carrying either the surveyor camera or equipment to study high-altitude radiation. A second flight in 2016 will see Prandtl-m fly for as long as five hours until it lands on Earth, and a potential third flight would simulate the final drone's planned launch from a CubeSat. While it'll likely take much, much longer before humans are soaring over the Red Planet, this should represent an important first step.

[Image credit: NASA/Dennis Calaba]

---------------
Cool!

-= Dave
Jun 30, 2015, 11:47 PM
Gliders ain't drones!

Z1 over Wilson Lake, KS

Here's a couple of photos of my brother's Z1 at the Midwest Slope Challenge this past May. The wind was great, anywhere from 10 - 20 mph, and the Z1 performed magnificently. We got a chance to zero-in the crow, and landings were super simple and easily controlled, with no attitude change as crow was applied. VERY agile and aerobatic plane.

Hopefully some video soon.

-= Dave

Quick Reply