Zupair Z1 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 06, 2012, 02:11 AM
Whose plane is that?

Radio setup for flaps

Hi, I'm new to slope gliding and after a few trimming and COG tips from Zach and Greg, I am enjoying flying the Z1 at Bluff Park. Now I want to add flaps and need help configuring my Dx7 to control two-servo flaps with the throttle stick and channel. I am using an AR6255 six channel receiver. I will plug one servo into the Gear and one servo into Aux.
1. How do I mix throttle to the the flaps to be neutral when the throttle is centered, down when the throttle stick is back, and up when it is forward?
2. Is that what I want to do?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Scott
Last edited by Looknup; Aug 10, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2012, 11:55 AM
Airplane Killer
I can't help too much. But I can say I don't know anyone who uses up flaps on this plane. Neutral flaps with throttle up, and full flaps at throttle down is the normal configuration.
Dave
Aug 07, 2012, 01:28 AM
It's not going to build itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy
I can't help too much. But I can say I don't know anyone who uses up flaps on this plane. Neutral flaps with throttle up, and full flaps at throttle down is the normal configuration.
Dave
^^^
that's what I would do if I had one too.
Tom
Latest blog entry: Some vids
Aug 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
Whose plane is that?
Thanks Dave & Tom, that is what I needed to know.
Sep 11, 2012, 03:04 PM

Wazzup?

Here is a ZupAir Z1 for sale:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1729756

Shameles plug...
Sep 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Hey Scott, you may find this article on the subject of "snapflaps" of interest?
http://www.slopeaerobatics.com/artic...cs/?q=node/193

It all depends on the plane and your flying style/situation I think. I'm no expert on this, but think it may be useful?

Cheers,

Rob
Sep 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
I was up at Jalama Beach yesterday and I saw a Z1 flying... looked a little light.
Sep 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
Person of interest
Um, that is kinda the point. Check out my vid in post #11. At the start of the vid the Z1 is flying in about 2kts - everything else was grounded. You could ballast the Z1 up a bit for higher wind conditions, but I have found that it's slippery wing profile means that it handles higher winds well as is.
Sep 16, 2012, 12:13 AM

flaps, snapflaps, what is this?

As the posts above say, the throttle stick works great for the main flap control, going from neutral (stick up) to full (stick down). One drawback is that the throttle stick is also a nice place for pitch trim.

Mixing in snapflaps can help the wing turn tighter and make it more docile. The turning tighter part comes from the higher lift coefficient that it can reach with flaps deflected. The docile part comes from instantly having a bigger stall margin in the turns, and the aerodynamic unloading of the tips.

Nice looking servo and pushrod setup Alan. Where do you get the little plastic trim that goes around the servo horn?

Zach
Last edited by ZachAttach; Sep 16, 2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Oct 31, 2012, 06:42 AM
Blue Sky Mining
I love the look of this plane.

In the videos it flies uncannily like a glider I designed and built about 15yrs ago. Similar chevron planform, no taper, no twist, MH45 airfoil (from memory), straight 20% chord elevons, light wing loading (~6oz/sqft). White foam, hardwood spars, balsa LE and elevons. Flew in a wide range of wind speed but not as manouverable as the Z1.

The Z1 looks like the space age version and is incredibly tempting.
Oct 31, 2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachAttach
As the posts above say, the throttle stick works great for the main flap control, going from neutral (stick up) to full (stick down). One drawback is that the throttle stick is also a nice place for pitch trim.

Mixing in snapflaps can help the wing turn tighter and make it more docile. The turning tighter part comes from the higher lift coefficient that it can reach with flaps deflected. The docile part comes from instantly having a bigger stall margin in the turns, and the aerodynamic unloading of the tips.

Nice looking servo and pushrod setup Alan. Where do you get the little plastic trim that goes around the servo horn?

Zach
Hobby People made bu Dubro! Bro....

Push rod exit, I believe.....

They make two sizes one for 2mm or 2-56 and one 3mm or 4-40 size...

Alan
Nov 06, 2012, 02:48 AM
Chesty
I love flying slope as much as the next man but have to ask myself (and you guys), why would I buy a Z1 when I can buy a Topsky 1 DLG for less ?

Equally as good on the slope if not better, fly the flats without the need for a bungee, too many negatives with the Z1 I feel

Enlighten me
Nov 06, 2012, 02:22 PM
Person of interest
If you have to ask questions about the Z1 - it's not for you.
Nov 06, 2012, 02:48 PM
Silent Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimaxPilot
I love flying slope as much as the next man but have to ask myself (and you guys), why would I buy a Z1 when I can buy a Topsky 1 DLG for less ?

Equally as good on the slope if not better, fly the flats without the need for a bungee, too many negatives with the Z1 I feel

Enlighten me
Is the Topsky acrobatic at all?

-Jonathan
who's owned neither
Nov 06, 2012, 03:01 PM
Nothing to see here...
Planes and cars and women share one thing.
Either you want it from the begining. (even if you don't need it or it's not good for you)
Or you don't.
If you need to be told why. It's not for you.

Rubio
Who doesn't own one either but could!!
Latest blog entry: The Man they call .... Rubio

Quick Reply