Jun 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Question

Flight controller (ala Eagle A3/JCX-M6) for bigger planes

Hey guys,

I new here and to airplanes so I spent the last days reading here and get familiar to the forum - great work bdw!!

Now I feel ready to ask the first question as I couln't find a satisfied answer anywhere.

I have a Parkzone Extra 300 plane (EPP, 1m wingspan) which I would like to upgrade with a flight controller to make it more stable (in wind).

I had a look and actually tried a Eagle A3 but I wasn't that satisfied.
It seems that this statement is true: "It can significantly improve the control on small 3D airplane with wingspan under 50cm". Furthermor it is stated as a "Micro Airplane Flight Controller". So for my "big" & "fast" plane it doesn't work as it should.

On the hobbyeagle.com homepage is a "Eagle A6" listed which seems to be a controller for normal sized planes. But no more info is found about it...

I read a lot of using helicopter gyros but it is too difficult and too expensive for a $200 plane

FINALLY TO THE QUESTION:
Is there a flight controller out there, like the Eagle A3 or JCX-M6, for normal sized planes?

Thanx
Soko
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2012, 06:41 AM
---- --
eagletree 2d-3d guardian stabilizer, with adjustable gain via transmitter during flight, which afaik none of the other devices have, $74.99

michael clyde
Last edited by 9XTremist; Jun 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: cuz
Jun 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
whiirrrrrr
I know this doesn't answer your question, but just practicing and learning to do it yourself is much better than using a band aid. I mean, what fun is flying when you aren't actually doing the flying? Once you learn to fly a plane in wind well, then windy days can become really fun!
Jun 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
@mchldpy
thanx! I'll have a look at it

@srt8madness
I'm totally on your side. But there are two things why I want such a stabilizer:
- My plane is basicly "crap" and not well build. I had now 3 of this parkzone and everyone had different issues which make it not stable in flying. i.e. slow rolls always end up in a nose diving...
- My plane is not very heavy which is a pita here in NZ where's a lot of wind. The electronic should stabilize the plane even in stronger wind so I can go fly more often

Soko
Jun 19, 2012, 09:10 PM
whiirrrrrr
Gotcha. I wish i could help. The parkzone t28 is excellent in wind, ive flown it in 20 mph winds. It can do mild aerobics, and you can do all kinds of upgrades. Just a thought for your next foamy purchase. You wont regret it
Jun 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness
Gotcha. I wish i could help. The parkzone t28 is excellent in wind, ive flown it in 20 mph winds. It can do mild aerobics, and you can do all kinds of upgrades. Just a thought for your next foamy purchase. You wont regret it
Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. The facts sheet looks quite the same as my Parkzone Extra 300 though...
Jun 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
whiirrrrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by soko
Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. The facts sheet looks quite the same as my Parkzone Extra 300 though...
Electronics/size might be the same. The extra is a midwing plane, so its naturally unstable. The t28 is more of a trainer. It has a low wing but plenty of dihedral, give it self-righting characteristics, and very stable flight.
Jun 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness
I know this doesn't answer your question, but just practicing and learning to do it yourself is much better than using a band aid. I mean, what fun is flying when you aren't actually doing the flying? Once you learn to fly a plane in wind well, then windy days can become really fun!
Remember (I am told) that people made the exact same argument about expo control, and are making it now about telemetry. It is often true, too: an expert who has learned a more primitive method thoroughly will almost always do better than a novice who uses the fancy new method. In obstetrics, forceps are superior to C-sections.

But at my flying field, even the experts are slowly moving to use gyros. And obstetricians don't even teach use of forceps any more - even though they are "better" in an ideal world where every doctor starts as an expert.
Jun 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
whiirrrrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor
Remember (I am told) that people made the exact same argument about expo control, and are making it now about telemetry. It is often true, too: an expert who has learned a more primitive method thoroughly will almost always do better than a novice who uses the fancy new method. In obstetrics, forceps are superior to C-sections.

But at my flying field, even the experts are slowly moving to use gyros. And obstetricians don't even teach use of forceps any more - even though they are "better" in an ideal world where every doctor starts as an expert.
Good point. I learned without expo, but now with the big throws i put on most planes, expo lets them fly a little smoother.
Jul 23, 2012, 01:30 AM
Hi

What was dis-sactisfactory about the JCX-M6 for you?
I just tested mine on a 1.2m plane and was very impressed with how it works.

Secondly, it feels like you are still in 100% control of the plane, its just a lot smoother., Its not like my FY31-AP that feels like you just "guiding" the plane
Jul 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Hi,

I didn't try the JCX-M6. I just bought an Eagle A3 Pro. Had no chance to try it though...
Let you know and compare it to the Eagle A3.

Soko
Jul 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
Over 65 years of R/C flying

flight controller

I am a very old timer and I can tell you that it is much better and more fun to use flight controllers than not if you can do it. it is more complicated and more of a challenge, however. Any flight controller can control any model if it is set up correctly. Size does not matter in this case if it is set up properly. Clear View flight simulator has modes for flight controller both turned on and turned off if you want to try that program, other programs might also have this feature. These simple flight controllers do not have any accelerometers yet, just gyros, so they can only react to the changes in roll pitch and yaw and will not right a plane in respect to the horizon or ground. They are not a true flight controller, just a way to stabilize a plane so you have an easier job to make it do what you want, this is also the same for helicopters. The FY-31ap that I have on my workbench does have all 6 sensors and will act as an autopilot as well as a flight stabilizer.
Jul 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Hey guys,

I'm back from the flying field and tested the Eagle A3 Pro. I must say that I'm not the best pilot and that my machine (Parkzone Extra 300) is a cheap EPP plane. So take this into account...

Unfortunately for the test is was a calm day. I had the gains of all three axis to 1/3. I switched between "OFF" and "NORMAL" mode during flight and felt no difference in standard rolls, loops etc.
Which is a good thing as with the Eagle A3 (no Pro) I felt very disconnected...

I tried the "AVCS" mode as well. Everything's normal in straight flight. But turning with no rudder is impossible. The plane gets crazy. So I switched back to "OFF". After flying it came to me quite clear why it got crazy: AVCS = Heading-hold on helis => I have to aply rudder during turns...

The question is why I need an AVCS mode on a plane??? I can't think of an application...

Conclusion so far: The Pro feels better the normal version. Wind stability needs to be investigated => I'll let you know.

@tedbmoss: You seem like an advanced plane pilot and knowing a lot about this controllers. Maybe you can tell me how to set up my Eagle A3 Pro properly...
All it offers is 3 potentiometer to adjust the gain for aileron, elevator & rudder separately. But how do I know if the gain is too much or too low. Is there a flight maneuver to test each gain?

Thanx
Soko

Quick Reply