Jul 08, 2013, 02:45 AM
The KST DS1x5MG does look good but the rumor of failures is disappointing. google didn't find any obvious reports of failures. More research required.

@heli_bee. Congratulations to us for the skill or luck to cope with these failures. These incidents do leave you feeling the need for a nice safe place and some comforting beer.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2013, 08:36 AM
The other aileron just died on me. This time in a more comfortable neutral rather than at full travel.

Why oh why does it have to be the critical controls. Why not a flap or the rudder?
Aug 26, 2013, 01:02 PM
CrashMatt,

Flaps are critical controls. I had one lock down on my Typhoon (the wiper got caught) and believe me the model does funny things with one flap down and the other up!

In this case I had enough landing area to redeploy the CROW and get down in one piece.

Martin.
Nov 15, 2013, 01:38 PM
F5D user
Hello,
i had this AMD09 on my Viper F5D never had bad experiance like this sad stories, but after reading this thread,
i think i will stick with the good old D60 and D47 from DYMOND

I would not want to lost my expansive F5D's for this 30$ servo.
the intresting thing is that Hyperion did not fix it yet !!?? why is that ??

i love this servos and dont think we have a lot with the same spec on the market but it is too risky.

i will stick with the D60 and D47.
Nov 17, 2013, 07:42 AM
"The Judge"
I wouldnt be more scared of using amd09 then other servos, spacially when "checked" like described in this thread... this way you can be safe, at least as safe as any other servos..

If you get a "bad" one by checking, then fixing it would not be as safe as checking one that is passed... hope you know what I mean

Thinking the way you say: "i will stick with the D60 and D47. " well you dont know how good the D60 or D47 really are, do you?

with the AMD09 you get checked servo= PASS, and very good power and resolution, better then the Dymond servos, you also get very strong gears... for me it is AMD09 before D60 and D47, but only if they are "checked"

Sebbe
Nov 18, 2013, 01:37 AM
F5D user
Don’t misunderstand me I just love the DS09 and I don’t think we have a good option in this price range that can match the DS09,
But the D60 and D47 from my experience never went wrong.
It is just so annoying to see this thread and no Hyperion comment or action to resolve this problem.
Again you are right this is a great servo when it work,

BTW what do mean by Checked servo = PASS ?
I saw here that people had failure servos even after they check them, or maybe I misunderstand?
How do you check the servos after you buy them ?
And if it pass your test so you can avoid glue it with epoxy ?
Nov 18, 2013, 04:40 AM
"The Judge"
well for me it is a go if the "poke test" get passed.. as you see there are many different opinions here... some say dont poke, other say just fly, other say do vibrationtest and so on..

I say, open the servo up like in pictures, turn the motor 180 degree, do a poke test with a toothpick, all 3 pins, dont use brutal force but you have to put some pressure to see if there is a potential problem, the servos that are really bad you will notice directly as you put some light pressure on, but the ones that are more difficult you will have to put more pressure on, I did find this out the second time i did poke... put the pressure from different angles, just do it, medium pressure, if it pass, then for me nothing have been proven to be wrong= servo is ok... then when you put the servo together again, you can do vibartion test and also put som bending and picking on case, just to be sure, also bend the cables that goes inside the case... if the servo move fine during these tests when you move the sticks, and is still when you dont move the stick (watch and listen for small glitches),, then I would say this servo is 100% good to go and REALLY WELL tested... I wouldnt worry more about this servo then any other brand new servo from other good quality brand.. + this tested servo has been throw some testing and passed... good to go..

If you want to put tiny epoxi glue on pins? well its up to you, I did not do it as there was no fault on the servos I poked, why fix something that is ok? And Im not sure the epoxi is to be trusted if the servo did glitch first then fixed by epoxi....

to sum it all up, test the servos in all ways, if they pass, they are OK, if you get a glitch during testing, well, thats another story....

Also just to be sure, even if the servos tested do pass, run them a few times with some pressure on arm, this way you can be eve more sure this servo is REALLY TESTED!!

Ive done all this twice on my servos and tested them afterwards a few times, I DO trust them now for sure... more then I would do with brand new "un tested" other servos from other brand..

Sebbe
Nov 18, 2013, 10:37 AM
F5D user
Thanks Sebbe,
Ok i will buy and test some,

on my Daemon F5D from stratair I have the AMD servos but I can see after a while they developed a small slope. do you think it is better to go with the SCD ? I never try them before and maybe you know if they have the same slope or not? All my F5D F3K F5B and S400 have the AMD'S , D47 and D60
I am using spoilers when I am landing.

another thing, all DS09 have the same "wires' Problem and need to be check, or only the AMD ?
thanks
Last edited by marknopfler; Nov 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Nov 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
"The Judge"
Hi, the "wire problem" is only an extra thing i invented, I have not heard of any problems with this just an extra thing to check as with any servos

I dont know if SCD will be better in long time develope less slop, But they should, as the metalgear weares faster.... so YES I can say with confident, that AMD will wear faster in gears then SCD, even thow I have not experianced and documented this issue..

so if I would buy new Hyperion 09 servos today for a Pylon plane YES, the SCD would be a very good choise...
Nov 21, 2013, 08:15 AM

Des 427 bb

I took a photo of a DES 427 BB. The pot leads are bent 90 deg, but there's no glue on the leads/wires.

What do you think, is it OK?
Nov 21, 2013, 12:20 PM
"The Judge"
looks the same as Hyp. 09 to me, fast work, glue on sides, seems to be made by same fabric ?... you have to check it, toothpicks, otherwise you cant be sure..

Just to be clear: you cant "fix" the servo, only test it... if it glitches when pooking, its BAD to fly, especially in a fast plane.... if you wont to use it after you fix it, well indorr foamie would be safe I guess

to "fix" it you have bend the pins up to 180 degrees, then put epoxi to secure them. is it safe? I dont know..
(I will never use a "fixed" servo in any plane going faster then 30mph)

Sebbe
Nov 21, 2013, 04:27 PM
Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to find another servo then. I was using them for rudder and elevator on an electric Bubble Dancer. Not a fast plane, but I would like the servos to be reliable.

Do you have any suggestions for an alternative 9 mm servo?
I could probably go with MKS DS6100, which I have previously used as an aileron servo.
Nov 21, 2013, 04:41 PM
"The Judge"
Hi, did you do the test ? If it pass the test they are good to go.. and there is nothing wrong with them... Probably one of the best thin servos out there..
Nov 22, 2013, 01:31 AM
F5D user
just ordered 4 SCD from AirCraft World,
i will post some photos when i get them,
Nov 22, 2013, 07:06 AM
Ok, I did the poke test with a toothpick. The pot seems to be fine. Only after using so much force as to bend the leads did I manage to create a slight buzz in the servo. That happened only once. So it might have been because of some other factor.

Should I test every other DES 427 I get like this also?

Quick Reply