Jun 14, 2012, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DH 9116 Tx howto Reverse Rudder settings - v911 can fly with this Tx

Hello, since the normal DH9116 thread is getting massive thought it best to start a new thread, hope somone can help.

Anyone know if its possible to swap the left/right rudder control on the DH 9116 Tx.

I've looked at Stormforce's below excellent guide but cant get any expected changes.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=384746

Reasons to reverse ?
1) manged to bind the 9116 Tx to my v911 heli, all controls work but rudder needs swapped.
2) The new WLToys Ladybird quadcopter bnf $52 mentioned below works with the v911 Tx.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1658847

If I can get the rudder swapped there is a good chance the 9116 Tx will fly the Quadcopter also.

Others with a 9116 Tx may find this interesting also.

At worst a pot change switch will do the stuff but it would be nice to do this via the Tx menu settings.
Last edited by jamiedg; Jun 14, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Change Title
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
I've managed to reverse the rudder.
Basically navigate to the RUDD REV area then press up/down (left side) to change
displayed "AEU" to read "NOA".
I can now control v911 with the 9116 Tx !

Update:
Buttons to press to rev rudder:
Menu hold - display Mode 2
Menu
Menu
Menu - display ELEV REV
Select
Select
Select - display RUDD REV
UP or DN to change AEU to NOA
Menu hold - to save

Oh, also needs the Aileron control (right cyclic) reversed.
Buttons to press to rev Aileron:
Menu hold - display Mode 2
Menu
Menu
Menu - display ELEV REV
Select - display AILE REV
UP or DN to change AEU to NOA
Menu hold - to save

Sorted v911 can now fly fine with DH 9116.
So new WLToys Ladybird quadcopter should now also fly with DH 9116 Tx
Will post back when this is confirmed in about 3-4 wks time.

Note: D/R rates can also be changed using samilar process.
Last edited by jamiedg; Jun 14, 2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Setup details:
Jun 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Crash and learn
Extraordinary.

Test fly the V911 with the 9116 transmitter. I didn't think it would be that easy.
Jun 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Yes v911 flys fine with the 9116 Tx, D/R rates can also be changed to make the rudder less snappy.
Jun 15, 2012, 01:29 AM
Closed Account
You might also find it better to change the ELEV, AILE and RUDD EPA to 120%. I found I had to increase them from 100% to get the same response as I was getting with the 9958 tx.
Jun 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Very Cool!

I was wondering about this but was afraid to ask for fear of being beaten for my ignorance.

-Pat
Jun 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Closed Account
As they say, "there are no stupid questions".

If you don't ask, you don't learn.
Jun 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
Closed Account
I wish there was more adjustment you could add to the EPA settings, as I find 120% still isn't enough for my liking. It only matches the 9958 tx, but doesn't go beyond it.

I did some modifications to the throttle stick also, to remove the "ratchet" feel of the throttle stick.

Open up the 9116 tx, and find the shiny metal leaf spring on the throttle stick. Remove it and sand down the ridges on the curved part of the throttle stick (not totally, just enough to take the edge off the ridges, as you'll still need some grip). Then flatten the ridge on the leaf spring and slip a few layers of heatshrink tubing over the end of the leaf spring where it contacts the curved part of the throttle stick. Mildly flatten out the section of the leaf spring where it screws into the housing to increase the normal tension on the throttle stick. Re-assemble the mechanism and fine tune the spring tension by tightening the screw to suit your preference.

Or, alternately, replace the leaf spring with a full length, thin slice of steel sheet (metal yard fencing sheet steel works well), and drill two holes in either end and screw in one screw completely on one end of the new leaf spring and use the opposite end screw to increase the tension on the spring to suit your stick resistance preference.

If you find it's too tight and you don't have much adjustment, use a light rub of candle wax on the curved part of the throttle housing, but not too much as it may make the throttle stick flop all over the place, especially if you can't apply enough tension to the new spring. You want it to be firm, but to be easily moved.
Last edited by stormforce; Jun 15, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Jun 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce
I wish there was more adjustment you could add to the EPA settings, as I find 120% still isn't enough for my liking. It only matches the 9958 tx, but doesn't go beyond it.

I did some modifications to the throttle stick also, to remove the "ratchet" feel of the throttle stick.

Open up the 9116 tx, and find the shiny metal leaf spring on the throttle stick. Remove it and sand down the ridges on the curved part of the throttle stick (not totally, just enough to take the edge off the ridges, as you'll still need some grip). Then flatten the ridge on the leaf spring and slip a few layers of heatshrink tubing over the end of the leaf spring where it contacts the curved part of the throttle stick. Mildly flatten out the section of the leaf spring where it screws into the housing to increase the normal tension on the throttle stick. Re-assemble the mechanism and fine tune the spring tension by tightening the screw to suit your preference.

Or, alternately, replace the leaf spring with a full length, thin slice of steel sheet (metal yard fencing sheet steel works well), and drill two holes in either end and screw in one screw completely on one end of the new leaf spring and use the opposite end screw to increase the tension on the spring to suit your stick resistance preference.

If you find it's too tight and you don't have much adjustment, use a light rub of candle wax on the curved part of the throttle housing, but not too much as it may make the throttle stick flop all over the place, especially if you can't apply enough tension to the new spring. You want it to be firm, but to be easily moved.
Thanks for the detailed advice on this StormForce, sorry for not thanking you sooner but my 9116 is in the repair hangar !
I was flying fairly high with an 808 #16 camera when I lost radio contact and had motor stop.

I've had this before with a 27MHz S032g and solved the problem with silver paper wrap round the camera see below;
Syma S032g Helicopter with onboard 808 chain Camera over Annan. (3 min 14 sec)

I thought that with the 9116 being on 2.4Ghz camera RF noise would not be a problem, but looks like I was wrong.

Anyway - the 9116 landed on short grass and bounced about 2ft in the air.
The canopy was cracked and will tape fix but the control board is damaged.
Still only $15 / £9 from bg for repair so not too bad, rest of heli looks fine.
It's a testament to the strengh of the 9116 that not more was damaged.
Looking back at your mod I think I'll leave a bit of a ridge just before the throttle off setting.
Lately I've hit a couple of thermals and been unsure how much to reduce power before hitting the off area.
Like many I'm waiting for my Beetle Quad from bg - cant wait, thanks again.
Jul 02, 2012, 08:55 PM

how to bind 9116tx to v911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedg
Hello, since the normal DH9116 thread is getting massive thought it best to start a new thread, hope somone can help.

Anyone know if its possible to swap the left/right rudder control on the DH 9116 Tx.

I've looked at Stormforce's below excellent guide but cant get any expected changes.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=384746

Reasons to reverse ?
1) manged to bind the 9116 Tx to my v911 heli, all controls work but rudder needs swapped.
2) The new WLToys Ladybird quadcopter bnf $52 mentioned below works with the v911 Tx.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1658847

If I can get the rudder swapped there is a good chance the 9116 Tx will fly the Quadcopter also.

Others with a 9116 Tx may find this interesting also.

At worst a pot change switch will do the stuff but it would be nice to do this via the Tx menu settings.
Hi, a quick question, it is probable answered around here. How do you bind 9116tx to v911? Thanks
Jul 05, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
Hi eertan,
see the below 9116 guide which covers the bind process.
http://customers.skymesh.net.au/%7Em...ech_manual.pdf
The simple v911 bind process is;
1. Insert the lipo battery in the v911 heli - Rx board led flashes.
2. Then make sure the Tx throttle is fully down and switch on the 9116 Tx.
3. Once the normal bleeps have finished you should have bind - Rx board led now steady.
4. Follow the previous posts in this thread to reverse the Rudder and Ailerlon controls
cheers,
Jul 22, 2012, 04:07 AM
Thread OP

WLtoys beetle v929 tested with 9116 Tx

My Beetle arrived last week
Just a note to confirm that the WLtoys beetle v929 quadcopter works fine with the 9116 Tx. The stock Tx is fine but I like having the individual control on rates, tend to use rudder on 50% which gives a slower turn.

Follow prev post to reverse RUDD and ELEV.
Jul 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedg
Hi eertan,
see the below 9116 guide which covers the bind process.
http://customers.skymesh.net.au/%7Em...ech_manual.pdf
The simple v911 bind process is;
1. Insert the lipo battery in the v911 heli - Rx board led flashes.
2. Then make sure the Tx throttle is fully down and switch on the 9116 Tx.
3. Once the normal bleeps have finished you should have bind - Rx board led now steady.
4. Follow the previous posts in this thread to reverse the Rudder and Ailerlon controls
cheers,
Thanks jamiedg.
Jul 29, 2012, 02:33 AM

problematic 9116

I have a problem with my brand new 9116. i didnt record the video i have found it on youtube ..i have the same problem, can anyone help me plz?
MOV 0062 (1 min 14 sec)
Jul 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Kind of a silly question but, if you reverse the settings for the V911, will it effect the settings for the DH9116?
Not familiar with the DH 9116 TX. Does it have memory? Was contemplating getting a DH9116 and if the TX can reduce the sensitivity of the rudder for the V911 it would be a win-win situation until I get the new T9xR - if it ever gets released.
I have not checked - the T9x does bind to the DH 9116?

Quick Reply