Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 08, 2003, 02:23 PM
Live to ride... and fly!

Wright Brothers Spandau Gun Kit assembly

Hey guys, I ordered a couple of spandau gun kits from Wright Brothers (for my upcoming Dr. 1 project) and thought I'd post a short build thread. I ordered the guns from Allan on the 4th and they arrived today promptly and well packed. Each gun is packages separately as shown below...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2003, 02:27 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Parts include a nice laser cut balsa sheet, a very thin ply laser cut cooling jacket sleeve, a plastic tube for the barrel and of course the instructions. I found it was better to refer to the instructions on the web site though, because they have accompanying photos. The online instrux can be found here:

http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/our_...structions.htm

In the below pic the gun body has been assembled and sanded as well.
Nov 08, 2003, 02:28 PM
Tres, The gun kits look great! they should be a terrific addition to the Dr.-I
PAT
Nov 08, 2003, 02:32 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
The cooling jacket interior and gun barrel are painted. Then the jacket is wetted with rubbing alcohol and wrapped around a cylindrical object (I used a pencil) to shape it. I let it dry a bit, then C/A'd the components together. It's a little tricky wrapping the jacket and C/A'ing it without glueing it to your fingers! Try not to get your finger stuck in there, because It's difficult to remove from your finger and "uncure" will ruin the ply jacket. Ask me how I know Yup, I ruined a jacket during this step. Luckily I had ordered 2 guns for a friend, so I had an extra.
Nov 08, 2003, 02:35 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
It's all downhill from here, just C/A the details on and it's ready for final painting!

Hi Pat!!! Yeah, I haven't even started the Dr. yet and here I am building the guns for it
Nov 08, 2003, 02:40 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
I painted flat black acrylic on it, then drybrushed Testors "Chrome Silver" to give it a metallic look. The flash picture isn't too flattering, in reality it has a nice gunmetal appearance. Incredibly, the finished and painted gun only weighs one gram!! Awesome!

Overall this is a great kit- easy to build, very light and looks fantastic. The gun kits are available in 1/8, 1/10 and 1/12 and can be purchased here:

http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/our_kits/spandau.htm
Nov 08, 2003, 10:53 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Tres, thanks for the nice build review. I'm glad you liked the kits. I think the 1/8 scale guns are almost exactly 2 grams, so the 1/10 scale are somewhat more than 1 gram, but just not enough to register 2 grams on a scale with 1 gram resolution. Still that's quite light enough even for small electrics not to worry about the extra weight!

I'm sorry you didn't ruin a 1/12 or 1/8 jacket, I have a few spares of those. The 1/10th I actually ordered exactly enough to make up all the kits I have.

Al
Nov 08, 2003, 10:56 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Oh, for those wondering, Tres is no relation - just a customer with the same last name as me.
Nov 09, 2003, 12:30 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
==just a customer with the same last name as me.==

That's right! -wink, wink- So, we still on for poker Friday night?

J/K, no relation. Well, that we know of anyway

I'm sure you're right on the weight, my scale does just go down to 1 gram. It's under 1.5 though, if it were 1.5 or over it would register as 2. But for a gun that's 4" long, anything under 1.5 grams is impressive!
Nov 10, 2003, 08:09 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Oh, by the way, the extra parts on the sheet you didn't use yet are the ammo belt chutes. Just laminate them together and apply on each side of the gun when you install it on your plane.
Nov 17, 2003, 11:36 PM

Now Available in Australia

Allan has kindly allowed me to distribute his kits downunder.

Drop me a line at lairds@iprimus.com.au if you would like some.

A web site will soon be up and running with some kits to suit.

Benny
Nov 18, 2003, 10:17 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Also, available in England from Peter Rake at http://www.pr-kits.com

Peter has 1/12 kits in stock and will be receiving 1/8 and 1/10 kits soon.
Nov 18, 2003, 12:42 PM
Allan, any hope of a Vickers for my Flair Pup............I think the scale is 1/4 to 1/6 !
I fear that is going to be a little on the big side.

Ian
Nov 22, 2003, 12:30 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Ian, Williams brothers make Vickers in 1/4 and 1/6 scale. They're injection molded plastic and are very accurate models. I highly recommend them.

I'll be coming out with 1/8, 1/10 and 1/12 Vickers guns eventually - I'm working on several projects right now so I'm not sure exactly when - probably after the hollidays.
Nov 22, 2003, 08:21 AM
Allan, I have a Williams Bros Lewis gun 2" scale.................the Pup needs a fixed Vickers .303 or 2?

I guess I could make one , and weight would not be a problem
on a model of this size 100-112 oz.

Ian