This thread is privately moderated by YarSmythe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Discussion

From the dust...my Hobbico Starfire 40

This has been hanging up on the ceiling in my son's room for nearly 4 years. Before that, sitting on a shelf in the garage. Hasn't flown in 10 years. Both sons told me it was time to dust it off and give it some air time.

I love(d) this plane. This one is my third Starfire 40. Tower Hobbies made a lot of money off of me. First two flew great until I pushed them over the edge. Got this one tweaked just right and flew it for many years, as-is...until I got into electric. Since then, my glow fuel planes have been idle for quite some time. I still own three, one of them running my father's Saito 45 4-cycle that purrs like a kitten. Hmmm...maybe I should dust that one off too!

Good news...engine wasn't seized. Poured some After Run oil into the MDS .48 and it turns over nicely. Gonna let it sit for today and start working on it tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Here are some pics. The one of me and this Starfire 40 was on its first flight back in the 90's. The rest were taken a little while ago after getting it off the ceiling (hanging wheels up).

-Lee
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Changed out the glow plug, cleaned out the tank (not that dirty thankfully), fueled her up and got her running! Very minor tuning and she was good as new.

Need to tweak the Futaba connectors (old style) so they'll fit my Spektrum AR6210 RX and we should be up and flying by this weekend.
Jun 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
Great airplane! I had one 15 years ago and I flew it till the engine was worn out. I still have the wing but the fuse fell apart and got tossed. I must have put 500+ flights on that thing!
Jun 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339949268.817650.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 155.8 KB
Description: Just after the "Return to Flight". Needs a little tweaking but flew just fine.
Jun 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339952701.372342.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 74.4 KB
Description: Engine running much better. Too rich earlier. Hope to get one or two more flights in before heading home.
Jun 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
I agree that this is a great airplane. Many years ago I had one of these with a Thunder Tiger Pro .46. What a fun plane. I flew mine until it fell apart, and I still miss it today. Hey Hobbico, bring this plane back, but this time make it all wood (no plastic junk) and add an electric option.
Dec 19, 2016, 11:55 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
It has been WAY too long to respond to this thread.

Jim, I took your advice and yanked the MDS out and found a Thunder Tiger Pro .46. It needed a new carb but I got it up and running. It performed MUCH better than the MDS and I had a great time flying the Starfire 40 again.

May not get to fly it any time soon with the weather and schedule...but I hope to get it out again soon with photos & video to share.

Quick Reply