Jun 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero
Pat,

When you say you stripped the hardware out of your Beast, I assume you mean the Park 180 motor and the AR6400LBL brick. Is that correct?

If so, it looks like the RTF weight with battery will be about 3+ ounces. With the power available, it could be a rocket, instead of a kitten!

Jim R...
...never a rocket scientist, but he knew a couple.
Jim, Yep, that's right. After running the motor up to about 2/3 power I do belive that the 180 will definitely provide enough power for two of these little buggers.....

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Very nice. Glad to see that you have been able to break away from all the customer work and give us Pat T Groupies a fix. Hope the flights go OK.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jun 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
One of many things to like about your J-3 Kitten is that with just a little cosmetic change here and there it could also make a very convincing Sky Raider 1 or Kitfox Lite for ultra light fans.

Pat, I am sure that you need another project suggestion like another hole in the head but....there are a lot of Dumas Rapides that get built. We love them because They are so beautiful and your engineering makes the impossible possible for us.

What would you think about a Pat's custom models Rapide, or for variety and so as not to offend our friends at Dumas what about a De Havilland Dragon or Dragonfly?

I am looking forward to the maiden.

Best, Robert
Jun 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
I eat glue
The Dumas Rapide is Pat's.
Jun 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
The Dumas Rapide is Pat's.
Yes, you are right, I knew the Dumas Rapide is Pat's. But, my thought was that when I buy a Dumas product the money goes to Dumas not Pat. If I were buying from Pat's Custom Models the money would go to Pat. I bet you and I would both like that idea. Pat would probably be OK with it as well.

I have nothing against Dumas, I know first hand what a lovely Rapide kit they have produced. I am thankful they made it. They make a lot of other really interesting kits as well. I have built three of them.

By the way, I am all in on buying one of Pat's J3 Kitten kits when they are ready. Mine will eventually look like the Sky Raider 1 I posted above. Pat has caused me to violate my self imposed "no hoarding model airplane kits" rule. I hope he will be suitably remorseful.

Best, Robert

I stand happily corrected that Pat does receive a financial benefit when we buy his Dumas kitted designs
Last edited by Robert R; Jun 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Because I was wrong......again
Jun 15, 2012, 08:41 PM
I eat glue
Pat did that to me a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago!
Jun 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
There is much to be said for "hoarding" Pat's kits (that is to say, in addition to what a spouse may say upon seeing another one come into the house or discovering the "stash.")

I was in my local hobby shop the other day and saw a 44" Tiger Moth, and a Mr. Mulligan Plan & Plastic set and a few others in my stash priced considerably higher than what I recall paying for them a couple of years ago, even with my shipping cost. So consider them to be an 'investment' that is doing better than the rest of the economy...

Pete G
Jun 16, 2012, 08:54 AM
OK guys. As for "stashing", "hoarding", or whatever you want to call it, think of it this way. When you see a kit you want to build, hopefully from PCM, BUY IT!! The price will only go up. I have 4 of Pat's planes flying now, the PCM Standard J-1, 53" Cub, 40" Cub and the 35" Tiger Moth from Dumas. I have the 50" Pacer from PCM framed up and ready for final sanding and cover. I also have the PCM 57" Stinson Reliant and the Dumas 35" Waco YMF-5, Waco ARE and De Havilland Rapide waiting in the back-ground. This does NOT include the 30 or 40 other kits I have aquired over the years (will not tell you how many). If you see a kit at a bargain price, GET IT, especially if it's a PCM or Dumas/Pat kit. The build and fly great. BTW, the J-3 Kitten wil also be added to my "stash". Keep up the great work Pat.

Must go now. The lawn mower is calling.........................

TTFN The Yank
Jun 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeeone
OK guys. As for "stashing", "hoarding", or whatever you want to call it, think of it this way. When you see a kit you want to build, hopefully from PCM, BUY IT!! The price will only go up. I have 4 of Pat's planes flying now, the PCM Standard J-1, 53" Cub, 40" Cub and the 35" Tiger Moth from Dumas. I have the 50" Pacer from PCM framed up and ready for final sanding and cover. I also have the PCM 57" Stinson Reliant and the Dumas 35" Waco YMF-5, Waco ARE and De Havilland Rapide waiting in the back-ground. This does NOT include the 30 or 40 other kits I have aquired over the years (will not tell you how many). If you see a kit at a bargain price, GET IT, especially if it's a PCM or Dumas/Pat kit. The build and fly great. BTW, the J-3 Kitten wil also be added to my "stash". Keep up the great work Pat.

Must go now. The lawn mower is calling.........................

TTFN The Yank
I agree . Pat's panes are lifelong investments . I have built the 60" Stinson. 44"" Jenny , 57" Cessna 172 , and Pitts#14.

Crashed the Cessna into a powerline yesterday eve. Fell 30 feet straight down . Only damage was cracked firewall and ripped out battery tray . I didn't like this plane at first didn't fly well but it was a matter of motor prop combo . With and E Flite 400 and APC 11 X3.8 slowfyer it is now an agile dreamboat.

My Stinson is on it's fourth complete recover . . .
Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
I do appreciate every kit that's stashed away "for retirement". I have a fair collection of kits here too, and plan to build every last one of them -- like that will really happen, but a guy can dream, right? Either way, it's all great stuff.

Meanwhile, don't stop buying Dumas kits. I do receive a royalty for each kit sold, and as long as the kits are selling, I get to do more designs. The thing is, the stuff I do for short kitting and those done for Dumas are done in somewhat different veins. The Dumas stuff is aimed more at the low time or less experienced modeler, where the short kits are definitely better suited to the more experienced builder.

PAT
Jun 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thread OP

The Kitten Has Flown

We got out last Thursday and got the first test flights on the Kitten before the winds grounded the light-weights. Unfortunately, a computer glitch ate the photos so we had to go back out on Friday and do it all over again. So....

The model flies really well, though the CG seems like it's a bit to far forward. Next time out I'll take a ball of clay and trim it till it gets goosey, then come back forward just a bit. Otherwise, she flew beautifully. Ground handling for ROG take-off is no problem, though landings are still a challenge in the nose heavy condition. Will get to the bottom of that real soon.

Hope get the plans buttoned up this week and hopefully will have the kit released toward the end of this week or early next.. Will post up the link as soon as it's up on the web site.

PAT
Jun 18, 2012, 10:14 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Great news on the test flight. Looks very cool in the air. Looks like I will be adding another to the PCM kit stash. Man you are just killing me. Even working on three at the same time I can't get em done faster than you can punch em out!!

Oh well I had planned on living forever so I should be able to finish them all!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jun 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
Congrats on a lovely little bird, the maiden and thanks for the good news that we can feel virtuous not only on our PCM purchases but our Dumas ones as well. .
Best,
Robert
Jun 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Was poking around Pat's site this afternoon and I saw that the short kit for the J-3 Kitten was available. Paypal sent already!! Seems that for every one of Pat's designs I finish I add at least two more!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jun 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Brian's right, plans are in hand, parts will be here tomorrow and the Kitten will be ready to ship Friday afternoon <6-22-12> It's up on the site now, and the PayPal button is up and running. Here's the link to the site:

http://patscustom-models.com/shortkit1.html

PAT

Quick Reply