Nov 08, 2001, 11:11 PM
Thread OP

How do you put two batteries together for a higher cell battery?

I'm running a plane on 8 cells. I'd like to try it on 10 cells. For weight and space reasons a 10 cell pack won't fit and also I don't have a 10 cell pack. I thought if I made a two cell pack (of the same cells of course) I could put them together with the 8 cells. What would be the wiring setup for that? Is it technically a good idea? Also I know I've read something about not charging it all at once or something along those lines.

Thanks, Balin
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2001, 11:21 PM
characters welcome!
Just connect the eight cell pack and the two cell pack in series and give them a c/10 charge to equalize. Make sure that the added cells are in proper series with the pack that you are adding it to. Electrically, it's no different than putting two 10-packs together and running it on say an Astro 40 as a 20 cell pack. Usually people double up two packs of the same size but there are plenty of people that do what you are considering. It does work.

mw
Nov 09, 2001, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Mark,

After the first C/10 charge could I peak charge the whole 10 cells as a single battery or would I separate them? My guess: peak them as a single battery.
And slow charge them every now and then like any battery.
Nov 09, 2001, 11:09 AM
Superhero, Third Class
Mark:

Need the two packs be in series to equalize them, or could they be slow(~C/10) charged separately? For example, I have a slow charger that only goes up to 10 cells. If I wanted to fly two 8-cell packs in series as 16 cells, could I slow charge them separately?

Thanks,
Jeff

Quick Reply