Dec 08, 2012, 03:32 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Even though winter has arrived ... it was -4C with about 20cms of snow across the field ! I duly put a 4S 1600 Zippy Compact LiPo in the Edge 540 and let her go ... She took-off from the snow covered road with no trouble at all .... went straight into steady flight ....

The battery was pushed as far fwd as possible and she flew as on rails ...

I had to land in the deep snow - a car decided to be on the road just as I wanted to land !! so a small diversion into the field ... Amazingly - I kept my wheels on this time !

Verdict ? I'm really enjoying this model and tbh - the warnings of tip stalls etc. haven't happened ... I've stopped the motor and glided her ... turned dead-stick ... and she's been as good as gold. The only bit to try and get used to is her speed when landing ... she needs a lot of space to slow down ...

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Life goes on and new boat
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
so basically set the cg 30mm back from the leading edge of the wing instead of the 55mm....
she going to be heavier still but I just might put the a/c back together after I finish my cap 232 rebuilt.... I'm now officially curious
Dec 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
so basically set the cg 30mm back from the leading edge of the wing instead of the 55mm....
she going to be heavier still but I just might put the a/c back together after I finish my cap 232 rebuilt.... I'm now officially curious
Mines at about 32mm .... I have added nothing in terms of weight (I accept my motor mount is probably a couple of grams heavier than the plastic mount that broke ... but would not result in much change of CoG - I see that HK do the mount as replacement part ... but is backorder !!).

I just took Scott's advice and pushed the battery as far fwd as possible and flew.

Nigel
Dec 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Well I have the Edge 540 on the way here....as well as some nice little gems from Hobbypartz.... I got 2 different motors to try out in this little beast. The are the same size as stock but higher kv. I got a 1700kv and 1950kv Rocket Series motors to try. With that high of KV I may not need to go 4s but if I do I have the battery packs to do so on the way... Can't wait to get started on this little plane!!
Dec 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Ok here it is.. Stock prop was way out of balance and still isn't totally right. I am going to get my own spinner since I know the one from Hobby King won't work. I installed the Rocket Motors 2215 1950kv motor and ran it up on 3s last night. 45amp ESC with external UBEC. TONS of power with that set up and with 4s I would be over doing it most likely....but I will have to try it none the less!! But 3s 55c 2200mah pack for now. And then the 4s 40c 1800mah packs if I want to go ballistic!! LOL This is a great looking plane! It just snapped together and it feels really strong!! Should be a blast!!

Dec 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
Hi Gooniac .... here's my tips to try and get you thropugh the maiden without pranging it !

a) Make sure you use a straight edge through elevator and stab centre line to make sure those elevators are neutral ... I tried by eye and it was out. The aerofoil shape deceives the eye ...
b) CoG is fine at 30 - 32mm back from L/E ... in fact as long as it's slightly ahead of the main wing CF spar - it's fine.
c) Control movements ... elevator is nice at 5mm ... a handful at 8mm !! Aileron is fine at 6mm ... a handful at 12mm .... I fly mine with Elevator at 5mm and Ailerons at 6mm for normal flight. Once I want to start throwing her around I ONLY flick Ailerons up to full rate of 10mm ... which is still reasonably controllable. All measurements at inboard ends of surfaces.

The 540 on it's 7x6 and 1400kv stock motor is still fast on a 3S 2200 25C ... there really is no need to go higher KV. The only niggle I have with my stock motor is it seems to have a dead spot at low throttle. You move stick and she suddenly jumps to about 5 - 8% throttle instead of smooth start ... and when bringing throttle down - at that end point that you'd like prop just turning when landing etc. - it stops ! Tried resetting ESC ... cleaning and lubing the motor etc. but no change.

Nigel
Dec 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hi Gooniac .... here's my tips to try and get you thropugh the maiden without pranging it !

a) Make sure you use a straight edge through elevator and stab centre line to make sure those elevators are neutral ... I tried by eye and it was out. The aerofoil shape deceives the eye ...
b) CoG is fine at 30 - 32mm back from L/E ... in fact as long as it's slightly ahead of the main wing CF spar - it's fine.
c) Control movements ... elevator is nice at 5mm ... a handful at 8mm !! Aileron is fine at 6mm ... a handful at 12mm .... I fly mine with Elevator at 5mm and Ailerons at 6mm for normal flight. Once I want to start throwing her around I ONLY flick Ailerons up to full rate of 10mm ... which is still reasonably controllable. All measurements at inboard ends of surfaces.

The 540 on it's 7x6 and 1400kv stock motor is still fast on a 3S 2200 25C ... there really is no need to go higher KV. The only niggle I have with my stock motor is it seems to have a dead spot at low throttle. You move stick and she suddenly jumps to about 5 - 8% throttle instead of smooth start ... and when bringing throttle down - at that end point that you'd like prop just turning when landing etc. - it stops ! Tried resetting ESC ... cleaning and lubing the motor etc. but no change.

Nigel
Thanks for the info Nigel!! I noted all of this from previous post as well and made sure to add in lots of expo (40% to start) on ailerons and have about 6mm max throw. I always add tons of expo on the rudder since I do ground take off so it is at about 85% with maxed out throws. Elevator throw is at about 5-6mm too with about 20% expo. Haven't checked CG yet but will get that right too. My eyes were fooled by the colors at first on the elevator but I caught it and made it level...

As for the amount of power.... I fly mode 2 which means that there is this thing on the left stick called throttle...LOL Even if I have a motor that makes it go light speed doesn't mean that light speed is my only option... I can manage the throttle very well if need be. 1950kv suits me just fine!! I will try to get a video of it as well...
Dec 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Thanks for the info Nigel!! I noted all of this from previous post as well and made sure to add in lots of expo (40% to start) on ailerons and have about 6mm max throw. I always add tons of expo on the rudder since I do ground take off so it is at about 85% with maxed out throws. Elevator throw is at about 5-6mm too with about 20% expo. Haven't checked CG yet but will get that right too. My eyes were fooled by the colors at first on the elevator but I caught it and made it level...

As for the amount of power.... I fly mode 2 which means that there is this thing on the left stick called throttle...LOL Even if I have a motor that makes it go light speed doesn't mean that light speed is my only option... I can manage the throttle very well if need be. 1950kv suits me just fine!! I will try to get a video of it as well...
OK mate ! The ailerons actually you can go a bit more throw as they are not so sensitive as the elevators as i found.

I bet once you get her up there that left stick stays nailed to the top for a good portion of flight !

On the 1950kv ... I'd be inclined to use a 7x5 prop ... to avoid excessive amps and to utilise the kv better. High pitch and high kv does not necessarily mean high speed ... the motor needs to run a little freer ...

Oh nearly forgot : Don't be surprised when main U/C legs break away with mount plate on landing ! Just epoxy it all back in better ! But don't add any strengthening ... better to have it break out without ripping bottom out ...

Nigel

Nigel
Dec 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
OK mate ! The ailerons actually you can go a bit more throw as they are not so sensitive as the elevators as i found.

I bet once you get her up there that left stick stays nailed to the top for a good portion of flight !

On the 1950kv ... I'd be inclined to use a 7x5 prop ... to avoid excessive amps and to utilise the kv better. High pitch and high kv does not necessarily mean high speed ... the motor needs to run a little freer ...

Oh nearly forgot : Don't be surprised when main U/C legs break away with mount plate on landing ! Just epoxy it all back in better ! But don't add any strengthening ... better to have it break out without ripping bottom out ...

Nigel

Nigel
Great minds think a like I see! I was thinking about a 7X4 or 7X5 or maybe even an 8X4. If I got to 4s I would use the 6X4. I can tell when a motor is happy and this one even with a low battery was very happy with the prop that is on it now. It wasn't struggling at all... the pack I had was at 3.8v per cell..
Dec 14, 2012, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Great minds think a like I see! I was thinking about a 7X4 or 7X5 or maybe even an 8X4. If I got to 4s I would use the 6X4. I can tell when a motor is happy and this one even with a low battery was very happy with the prop that is on it now. It wasn't struggling at all... the pack I had was at 3.8v per cell..
I am not using stock motor but the HK NTM 2200 kv 696 watt one...On this motor, i would not recommend using 6x4 for 4s but 7x4 .

U do need the umph and must not be scared to use it on takeoff as the plane is heavy at 4s 1800 mah. A lack of umph or playing it safe may actually stall the plane as others have posted in earlier....

Watch the plastic mount. I try to wriggle it before every flight to make sure it is tight. I have since build a firewall when one part of the plastic leg broke.
Dec 14, 2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgame View Post
I am not using stock motor but the HK NTM 2200 kv 696 watt one...On this motor, i would not recommend using 6x4 for 4s but 7x4 .
I agree .... the original spec is 7x6 ... so a reduction to 4 is good. But reducing diameter ? No - I would not do that, all you will get is all rpm and and prop noise instead of PULL !

Quote:
U do need the umph and must not be scared to use it on takeoff as the plane is heavy at 4s 1800 mah. A lack of umph or playing it safe may actually stall the plane as others have posted in earlier....
I agree to an extent but TBH - I have yet to see my 540 stall - apart from the maiden when I had too much control throw. As with most speed machines - wing loading is heavy ... that's how it goes, using gravity to add to motive power.

Quote:
Watch the plastic mount. I try to wriggle it before every flight to make sure it is tight. I have since build a firewall when one part of the plastic leg broke.
Mine broke legs as well on first flight. So I ditched it and built a ply ring same depth, sufficient to carry screws etc. to fit. A washer where needed to alter thrust line and I have a motor mount that is only a couple of grams heavier, but able to carry that motor through WW3 !!

It's not pretty, but once cowls on - not seen and it certainly carries that motor a lot better.
I have considered whether to create / buy stand-off motor mount tobes and bolt through ... certainly more cosmetic, but the rear firewall has slots through that are badly positioned for this.

My 540 on 4S 1600 35C and 7x6 goes well .. and I get 5 mins run till medium LVC. On the 3S 2200, she flies beautifully ... TBH more steady I reckon than on the 4S and get a lot longer .. I stopped at about 6 mins and still had abt 40% pack left.

I just have to perfect landing this thing !!

Nigel
Dec 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! I got 7X4, 7X5, 7X6 and 8X4. The bigger 8x4 would only be used for 3s operation but the others would be for 4s operation. I am already hating the plastic mount and know that it is going to be replaced very soon. I will use the stock X brace mount with stand offs most likely...
Dec 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys! I got 7X4, 7X5, 7X6 and 8X4. The bigger 8x4 would only be used for 3s operation but the others would be for 4s operation. I am already hating the plastic mount and know that it is going to be replaced very soon. I will use the stock X brace mount with stand offs most likely...
7x6 on the 3S - its fine believe me .....

HK Racer Edge 540 success 25-11-12 (0 min 0 sec)

8" prop once you know the model as that extra diameter will be torque and liable to flip the model in.

The 7x4 for the 4S is about as low as want to go ... but fly her then just sit with 7x6 on both 3 and 4S !!

The mount .... that is a pain as the top part of the firewall is very narrow and the plastic mount is sloped to allow the cowl to fit over. Standard mounts will not fit. That is why I had to fashion my own in the end.

I am considering whether it's possible to modify such as the Skyartec Cessna metal mount ... but at end of day its restricted space at top.

Nigel
Dec 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
7x6 on the 3S - its fine believe me .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrO_v1cI7rU

8" prop once you know the model as that extra diameter will be torque and liable to flip the model in.

The 7x4 for the 4S is about as low as want to go ... but fly her then just sit with 7x6 on both 3 and 4S !!

The mount .... that is a pain as the top part of the firewall is very narrow and the plastic mount is sloped to allow the cowl to fit over. Standard mounts will not fit. That is why I had to fashion my own in the end.

I am considering whether it's possible to modify such as the Skyartec Cessna metal mount ... but at end of day its restricted space at top.

Nigel
if you would have landed on the path the gear would have been just fine!! LOL you need to see my landing area....its about half that size with trees and reeds surrounding it... I land EDF's, Dynam Cessna and various other planes on it... I will take a vid of mine when I get it going... 1950kv on 3s should be more than enough for this little bird! And on 4s it will be ballistic!
Dec 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Got it all balanced and ready to go now.Changed the prop to an APC 7X6 and I am using the Gens Ace 3s 55c 2200mah pack for now until I can get some others. The watts don't actually show how much pull the plane actually has. It is well over 1:1 thrust to weight....and could even be 2.5:1 even... hard to hold the little fuse....

Quick Reply