Hitec Telemetry - Wow! - RC Groups
Jun 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
Discussion

Hitec Telemetry - Wow!

Ok,
For others wanting to explore I wanted to briefly describe how this all works.

I have had an Optic 6, 2.4ghz, for a couple of years and just purchased two new Eclipse 7 pro's. I decided to take the plunge with telemetry and explore some of the new capabilities since the Eclipse displays the sensor data on the screen.

I purchased the full telemetry set with blue (electric) sensor station. The sensor station is the "interface" for all of the external sensors.

There are two cables from the sensor station to the receiver. You need to use either the Optima 7 or 9 with the sensor station. Connect one cable for the data to the receiver and another cable for power to any unused receiver channel. Then connect the sensors you want to use to the station. Turning on the receiver powers everything up.

I hooked up the GPS first. I wanted to see first hand how this worked so I got my good flying buddy (GFB) and we put the parts on the dash of my car. He held the Eclipse transmitter. You will need to go into the menu of the Eclipse and select the units of measure (IMP or MET) so you get the proper readout. Ask me how I know this...

After having the system powered on for about 6 minutes we started to get data. We then started driving. My garmin GPS showed 58mph, the Eclipse showed 58mph and the speedometer on the car showed about 60.

Next we went up and down several hills and noted the altitute reading. Again, the Hitec and Garmin were spot on.

We tried turning the whole thing off (while we went for coffee) and when powered back up the data started almost immediately again.

I also made up a battery pig tail which consists of two plugs and a short length of wire that I used to install the voltage and current sensors. This lets me simply plug this easily in between the battery and esc for quick measurements or temporary installations where I want to see the performance of my set up in the air for fine tuning props, etc.

Next I hooked up the voice navi. The included cable is too short to allow the voice navi to connect to the eclipse, but the cable for the HPP22 is a couple of inches longer and works perfectly,

The pleasant lady in the navi gives me "your current aircraft status is..." along with all the parameters. This also works on the optic 6 (which does not have a display which displays sensor data) as well. So if you have an older radio that is converted to 2.4 with a hitec module this is a great solution for getting telemetery data.

I put all this in a Parkzone Apprentice (it has a big fuselage) to try it out in the air and I found it works flawlessly. The GPS sensor works inside the fuselage but the numbers are a tiny bit more consistent when it is stuck on top of the wing. It is a real eye opener for many folks to see actually how high the plane is.

I could not be more pleased.

Hope this helps.
Gene
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR
Ok,
For others wanting to explore I wanted to briefly describe how this all works.
I have had an Optic 6, 2.4ghz, for a couple of years and just purchased two new Eclipse 7 pro's. I decided to take the plunge with telemetry and explore some of the new capabilities since the Eclipse displays the sensor data on the screen.
I purchased the full telemetry set with blue (electric) sensor station. The sensor station is the "interface" for all of the external sensors.
There are two cables from the sensor station to the receiver. You need to use either the Optima 7 or 9 with the sensor station. Connect one cable for the data to the receiver and another cable for power to any unused receiver channel. Then connect the sensors you want to use to the station. Turning on the receiver powers everything up.
I hooked up the GPS first. I wanted to see first hand how this worked so I got my good flying buddy (GFB) and we put the parts on the dash of my car. He held the Eclipse transmitter. You will need to go into the menu of the Eclipse and select the units of measure (IMP or MET) so you get the proper readout. Ask me how I know this...
After having the system powered on for about 6 minutes we started to get data. We then started driving. My garmin GPS showed 58mph, the Eclipse showed 58mph and the speedometer on the car showed about 60.
Next we went up and down several hills and noted the altitute reading. Again, the Hitec and Garmin were spot on.
We tried turning the whole thing off (while we went for coffee) and when powered back up the data started almost immediately again.
I also made up a battery pig tail which consists of two plugs and a short length of wire that I used to install the voltage and current sensors. This lets me simply plug this easily in between the battery and esc for quick measurements or temporary installations where I want to see the performance of my set up in the air for fine tuning props, etc.
Next I hooked up the voice navi. The included cable is too short to allow the voice navi to connect to the eclipse, but the cable for the HPP22 is a couple of inches longer and works perfectly,
The pleasant lady in the navi gives me "your current aircraft status is..." along with all the parameters. This also works on the optic 6 (which does not have a display which displays sensor data) as well. So if you have an older radio that is converted to 2.4 with a hitec module this is a great solution for getting telemetery data.
I put all this in a Parkzone Apprentice (it has a big fuselage) to try it out in the air and I found it works flawlessly. The GPS sensor works inside the fuselage but the numbers are a tiny bit more consistent when it is stuck on top of the wing. It is a real eye opener for many folks to see actually how high the plane is.
I could not be more pleased.
Hope this helps.
Gene
Thank you for taking the time to write the above. Positive practical feedback
certainly does help others who might otherwise hesitate to have a go.

Alan T.
Jun 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
I have the blue station and the gps also...i am installing it in my new pawnee....but now you convinced me...i ordered the voice telemetry system and a 2nd blue station to put in my Toledo;this way i only have to move my gps sensor around

great feedback btw
Jun 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have the blue sensor station with an Aurora9 and the voice piece in a Cularis sailplane I use a Winged Shadow altitude meter. It connects to the RPM port on the sensor station and as a result I have to divide by 10 from what the lady tells me for altitude. Not a problem at all.
I did set the limit to warn me at 1000feet (or 10,000 RPM) as I find about 1200 foot to be the limit of my comfort.
All in all an amazing bit of gadgetry... Took me a while to get all hooked up as my Aurora xmitter and rx were rather vintage so it all needed a code upgrade on all the bits to get it to work.

I've flown with it a few times now, and the warning really helped the other day as the plane got sucked up in a giant thermal. I have the lady set to continually give me the data, which is about 5 or 6 seconds apart as I only have the one parameter announced. I found the thermal at around 300 foot and on the 2nd announcement I already exceeded 1000 foot, so I knew to try and find my way out of the lift before it got away from me. So apart from being a novelty, it already proved itself to be a useful tool.
The novelty part is fun too...trying to get guys at the field to guess how high it is.... Everyone guesses too high, and most by quite a large margin.
Jul 08, 2012, 11:05 AM
Two things...my voice module doesn't give me speed and altitude data,and it shuts down by itself after 30 seconds...evrything is updated to the latest firmware....also is there a way to have the aurora 9 show my altitude and speed on the mainscreen?....the only way i can see it is by pressing sensors,then gps....kind of pointless when you fly....i don't have time to go through my menus when i fly
Aug 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm seriously considering the eclipse 7 pro and telemetry.

Thanks for posting this. Good to know it is working for folks.
Sep 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
Good to know that the eclipse pro works for telemetry. I am trying to use the gps and I have no data so far. I updated the optima 7. To my knowledge we can not updated the ecplise pro for now. I don t know if I miss something. The HTS SS shows the blue light Any idea?
Sep 01, 2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link69
Good to know that the eclipse pro works for telemetry.
I am trying to use the gps and I have no data so far. I updated the optima 7.
To my knowledge we can not updated the ecplise pro for now. I don t know if I miss something.
The HTS SS shows the blue light Any idea?
Please refer to:
. Telemetry - HTS-GPS (GPS Sensor) - Install and use, with screenshots.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

This will also assist:
. Hitec Eclipse & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

No amendments as yet for the firmware within an Eclipse 7 Pro, an update to HPP-22 which will
include the Eclipse 7 Pro is still awaited.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Sep 02, 2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks Alan for the quick reply it helps a lot. I just needed to wait the satellites to be locked. I am almost there : on the ground the altitude is 240 m can t find anywhere a way to zeroed the value
Sep 02, 2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Thanks Alan for the quick reply it helps a lot. I just needed to wait the satellites to be locked. I am almost there : on the ground the altitude is 240 m can t find anywhere a way to zeroed the value
. Altitude reading:
. To change the date, Unit of measurement and to select ABSOLUTE, (above-ground-level) or RELATIVE,
(above sea level) altitude values, press the Setting icon on an A9 or select on other screens.
. HTS-Voice. To change from Sea Level to that relative to flying site, push the function button
down when it reads the altitude and it will switch to relative instead of sea level.

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Sep 04, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Sep 02, 2012, 03:51 PM
most exalted one
ASL vs AGL. !!!. above sea level. above ground level for us aviators please.
Sep 04, 2012, 11:53 AM
I tried it today and it works very well. But I don t find any function buttom on the eclipse pro. I tried it on the hts voice but the altitude was still above the sea level..
Sep 04, 2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
I tried it today and it works very well. But I don t find any function buttom on the eclipse pro. I tried it on the hts voice but the altitude was still above the sea level..
Post #10 rewritten for improved? clarification.

Alan T.
Sep 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks AT actually I tried with the HTS voice and it didn t work but I will try again. It may be my mistake Hitec customer support is really great.
Feb 13, 2017, 02:11 PM
I just purchased the full telemetry system and I am not at all happy. The I-view will not work anymore because the apple people will not support it. The voice system is very limited in use unless you want to listen to repeated information every few seconds. The HTS-NAVI works but only with a laptop. Kind of heavy sitting on my transmitter �� So far not much help from Hitec. Check out closely before purchasing.