Jun 11, 2012, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ESC Slowing down?

Had a crash of a plane and thought all the electronics were fine. However when I use the ESC at full throttle after a second the motor starts to slow down like I am throttling down. Eventually it winds up at about 1/3 throttle.

I did test with more than one motor and battery.

Anyone see this behavior before and if so think the ESC is shot?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
Had a crash of a plane and thought all the electronics were fine. However when I use the ESC at full throttle after a second the motor starts to slow down like I am throttling down. Eventually it winds up at about 1/3 throttle.

I did test with more than one motor and battery.

Anyone see this behavior before and if so think the ESC is shot?
The only thing I'd make sure is that you aren't maxing the ESC's max amp rating. Some ESC shutdown or cut out, perhaps that one slows down. I'd also make sure I eliminated all other factors, like ESC/Tx throttle range...etc, swap rx...

My only other experience close to that one is when I was replacing the heat sink on the ESC and manage to burn out the ESC somewhere. At 3/4 throttle was fine, but at WOT, it would start cutting out, then slow down to about 1/2. Yep, it went to the garbage.
Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
Tried another Rx, same, only drawing 10.1amps on a 20 amp ESC.

Haven't tried resetting throttle range yet.

It does get to full throttle though, just doesn't stay there.
Jun 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
DS
DS
The only time I had an ESC slow down was when I went from 3 to 5 servos.
The BEC probably overheated and the ESC reduced power to the motor (to compensate for heat dissipation ???).
Going back to 3 servos made the problem go away.
Maybe the heatsink on your ESC has loosened as a result of the crash.
Have you tried motor/ESC only, or have you multiple servos connected to the RX as well?
Jun 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Motor and ESC only. I'll cut the heat wrap off and see it it got knocked loose.

If it's an easy fix cool, if not it's too cheap to trouble over (Hobby King Super Simple ESC)
Jun 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
Motor and ESC only. I'll cut the heat wrap off and see it it got knocked loose.

If it's an easy fix cool, if not it's too cheap to trouble over (Hobby King Super Simple ESC)
HK SS...oh gawd! throw it away already!
Jun 13, 2012, 03:34 AM
Zero Expo
Plug a servo into the throttle channel and watch the movement with application of throttle. This will show if the problem is the ESC or the radio system.
Jun 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
Thread OP
It's the ESC. Last night I tested and it got way too hot running a motor even at half throttle. Guess is it was damaged in the crash.

Quick Reply