Jun 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001
Got a link to a website selling this aircraft grade carbon fibre?

I assume this CF is a lot stronger than standard cheap CF, how much is the question. Also is there a way to tell the difference between crap CF and good quality CF?
www.aircraftspruce.com

I've built a few homebuilt aircraft so this company is rather well known to me. Great source for aircraft grade materials and parts.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways
Also one of the unique features of the Cinestar is the use of vibration dampening springs for the camera mount, this conveniently has them absent. Without those this frame is worth no more than any other cheap-ass Octo you can get from a cloner IMO.
I'm a CS8 owner and you are absolutely correct. The anti vibe system is outstanding! Nearly the entire frame and gimbal can be assembled with 2 hex wrenches and the CF quality is excellent. Anyone can whip together a large octo frame but the details make the CineStar great. It is expensive but I like the support at Quadrocopter.us and their availability for replacement parts. Tabb has his name on the CineStar and he isn't about to screw his rep up I'd bet.
Jun 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnaimless
It is expensive but I like the support at Quadrocopter.us and their availability for replacement parts. Tabb has his name on the CineStar and he isn't about to screw his rep up I'd bet.
completely agree....
Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
I'm a CS8 owner and you are absolutely correct. The anti vibe system is outstanding! Nearly the entire frame and gimbal can be assembled with 2 hex wrenches and the CF quality is excellent. Anyone can whip together a large octo frame but the details make the CineStar great. It is expensive but I like the support at Quadrocopter.us and their availability for replacement parts. Tabb has his name on the CineStar and he isn't about to screw his rep up I'd bet.
I've now waited two weeks for them to process a simple RMA
I know I haven't spent 10's of thousands with them, but I would hope that purchasing a droidworx AD6 and an AD8 HLE airframes along with some misc parts would at least get me a return email, or some action after having spoke twice with Karsten..
Jun 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
I've now waited two weeks for them to process a simple RMA
I know I haven't spent 10's of thousands with them, but I would hope that purchasing a droidworx AD6 and an AD8 HLE airframes along with some misc parts would at least get me a return email, or some action after having spoke twice with Karsten..
What's the reason for the RMA?
Jun 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
The GoodLuckbuy frame is not even close to the Cinestar stuff at all looks can be deceiving. I noticed Quadrocopter quit selling Droidworx frames they are not in the online store no more just MK frames and of course the Cinestar frames. Looks like they are just going with the Cinestar stuff mainly now, which I can understand its real nice.

Michael64
Jun 11, 2012, 08:26 PM
DJI Supporter
It was because DW dropped them and Aerobot due to them each making their own frames now. Clear conflict of interest so DW pulled out. You can see it in the news area of their website.
Jun 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
Sid3ways
Did you fly the Flexacopter yet.

Michael64
Jun 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diakatche
Just priced out the tubes for a customer octo. Just the raw tubes, forget about the machining or cutting, cost over $1000. That's aircraft grade 25mm carbon woven tubes polished. Roughly $600 for 10ft!
I don't know where you buy carbon but you are getting ripped off. I have bought hundreds of feet from this company and it is the best quality you will find anywhere.

For 1/2 inch tube it is about $15 a foot.

http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/small%20tubing.html
Jun 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64
The GoodLuckbuy frame is not even close to the Cinestar stuff at all looks can be deceiving. I noticed Quadrocopter quit selling Droidworx frames they are not in the online store no more just MK frames and of course the Cinestar frames. Looks like they are just going with the Cinestar stuff mainly now, which I can understand its real nice.
Michael64
as sid3ways mentioned, Quadrocopter.com was among the dealers that Droidworx dropped recently. Droidworx has a policy that a dealer can sell any off the shelf frame you want, ie Mikro, DJI, etc, but when their dealers start developing their own frame (ie the Cinestar with FreeFly) Droidworx wasn't feeling the love anymore, that coupled with the dealers pushing their own product to maximize profits of course.

I don't necessarily agree with DW's policy, but I can understand it.
Given that QC won't be carrying DW hardware anymore, I went in search of a new source and found Aerialtechnology.com in Portland Oregon, which is the next state over and UPS ground takes one day to reach me.
Stephen, the CEO, is easy to reach and responds to questions/queries very quickly.

Quote:
What's the reason for the RMA?
Bad batch of Aerobot 12x3.8 CF props.
When you spend a couple hundred bucks for 8 props, they damn well better be straight, as close to being balanced as possible, and the tracking should be spot on.

I DO believe this was just a bad batch of props and I got unlucky.

Still waiting for QC to take care of me. They received them May 25th, and here it is 17 calendar days later and not a word yet.
I think the Aerobot distributor in Australia is going to take care of me though and if so, that would be simply awesome customer service since I still want to use this line of props for my DW Octo.
Jun 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12
I don't know where you buy carbon but you are getting ripped off.
I was almost going to post the same thing
Jun 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways
It was because DW dropped them and Aerobot due to them each making their own frames now. Clear conflict of interest so DW pulled out. You can see it in the news area of their website.
This might explain the delay in cry's RMA request
Jun 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
This might explain the delay in cry's RMA request
Heck, all I want is a simple refund, or put the money on house credit so I can buy something else I could use...nada
Jun 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:

When you spend a couple hundred bucks for 8 props, they damn well better be straight, as close to being balanced as possible, and the tracking should be spot on.

Unfortunately that isn't the case. I bought a set of six from them, the props being advertised as balanced from tip to tip which my prop balancer said otherwise. Got an RMA and returned them for 6 more, put them on the balancer as soon as they arrived only to find they were worse than the first set of six. Other people have had similar experiences, best to just stay away from those particular props. I wound up doing the balancing on them and it took more weight than I usually have to use for a standard set of APC slow flyers which these are a copy of. I now use 4 of them on my test bed frame, waste of $$$ IMO...
Jun 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
as sid3ways mentioned, Quadrocopter.com was among the dealers that Droidworx dropped recently. Droidworx has a policy that a dealer can sell any off the shelf frame you want, ie Mikro, DJI, etc, but when their dealers start developing their own frame (ie the Cinestar with FreeFly) Droidworx wasn't feeling the love anymore, that coupled with the dealers pushing their own product to maximize profits of course.

I don't necessarily agree with DW's policy, but I can understand it.
Given that QC won't be carrying DW hardware anymore, I went in search of a new source and found Aerialtechnology.com in Portland Oregon, which is the next state over and UPS ground takes one day to reach me.
Stephen, the CEO, is easy to reach and responds to questions/queries very quickly.

Still waiting for QC to take care of me. They received them May 25th, and here it is 17 calendar days later and not a word yet.
I think the Aerobot distributor in Australia is going to take care of me though and if so, that would be simply awesome customer service since I still want to use this line of props for my DW Octo.
I'm interested to hear how it all pans out. I hope they take care of you.

Quick Reply