This thread is privately moderated by dlgdude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 11, 2012, 01:23 AM
Team Crunch Brothers
Thread OP
Discussion

First LSF level V win

Today, I came back from a great day of flying.

The SC2 was holding a Man on man contest over two days, with winners for each day, and then a separate overall for the best combined scores for the weekend.

The Saturday contest was rough. I hadn't flown a TD ship since last December for the "Toys for Tots" contest at the same field in San Pedro. It seems like every time I fly here, we have overcast skies and wind that makes thermal activity few and far between. Saturday was all about shaking off the rust. My first round (7 minutes called time) went for a 3:19 in just awful stuff. The second round wasn't much better, with a 10 minute call and a 4:20ish result. I went into the last round with the attitude that I just wanted to beat my combined times from the first two rounds. I beat it and then some, but it took a low level save to get 'r done. Got the whole 10 minutes and a max landing to boot.

Sunday looked a bunch like Saturday. Cold, and overcast. We flew 4 rounds, a 7, followed by 3 10 minute rounds. I seemed to pick up where I left off on Saturday and had a pretty uneventful flight for the first 7. I got my time and another 50 point landing. Kyle Paulson timed for me twice today, and made some great calls, pointing out options for alternates to the air I was flying in. It was really comfortable with his calling and it showed. I had to work one of the flights from under 50 feet, and stick with it way downwind. It wasn't too scary, as I maintained climb rate all the way back. I had another similar flight with Frank Tesaro timing for me. It was another case of fliting around until something popped down low, and taking it deep downwind. So after 3 rounds, I had made all my times, and got 50s or 25s on the landings.

I also knew that a large number of planes seemed to be making their times today (unlike Saturday). I figured I might have an outside chance of getting that first L5 win, but I'd have to fly clean and stick the landing.
The last flight found me (and the rest of the group) launching right into good air. I started circling immediately and found some positive air. I took it out and followed it back downwind. I had gained a fair bit of altitude, but lost contact with the thermal after a while. I spend some time trying to track it down, but wasn't very successful. While I'm doing that, Kyle is telling me about some good air upwind, by the smokestack. I finally figure out I need to bug out, and thankfully Kyle's got a hawk and Mike Murphy's plane overhead and working a nice bubble. I Reflexed the Pike and then ran upwind resulting in being in the good stuff, with a comfortable altitude buffer to track down the best bit. I take this downwind and then wait for time to set up the landing. I end up misjudging the headwind, and end up 5 seconds late, but get all of the 50 landing points.

I figured that I just gave up the contest and when they announced 3rd place and didn't call my name, I figured I must have dropped too much. They then called Kyle for second place, and knew he did well, so then I knew for sure that that 5 seconds on the last flight killed me. I was completely floored when Terry Throop called my name after a very nice description of someone that has been flying the circuit for quite some time, improving his skills and having that pay off.

This was definitely what they call a good day! I'm pretty sure that Mike Regan was my timer for that other round.

Time for bed and great dreams!

-l

Thanks JE for setting the example. I'll do my best to journal all my LV journey like you did. Missing you John!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2012, 07:51 PM

Congrats on the LSF5 win!

They aren't easy but they are possible!

Stay focus'd on the wins....get them out of the way as soon as possible, then its a coast thru the other tasks.

Gordy

Quick Reply